How to know if XP serial key is compatible for SP3?

sam9953

Adept
Hi guys, I have recently found out that the computer which I am selling has a genuine windows XP serial key. But the problem is that when I bought this computer I don't think that SP3 was even released, so is there anyway to find out that my serial key will work for SP3 or just the previous service packs?
This is because I am planning to sell the serial key separately.

Hi,
MS provide Serial keys for the Operating system and service packs are part of OS support.
So if you have the genuine key for windows XP then you can install each and every availalble update for XP. Service pack 3 is the final service pack for XP and its long term support will end next year.

If it is a OEM key, it will be tied to the PC and not sure if it can be installed on another PC

If it is a OEM key, it will be tied to the PC and not sure if it can be installed on another PC

I don't know how to tell if the key is OEM, i can tell you that it is written on a small original looking piece of paper at the side of my computer which I bought from an HP dealer.

Its pretty similar to the key which is given to me on my laptop.

Does this mean it is an OEM?

Thanks for all the help. Below are a few pics of the key :

Snapshot_20120827_3.jpg

Snapshot_20120827_1.jpg

After looking at it can you tell me is this OEM ? Can I sell it? As I have never ever used it in my entire life?

^ Will probably be a OEM key

Also the problem with these keys is that sometimes I have had issues with activation when the install was done with retail media. This was with Windows 7 though.

So as it is certain that this key is an OEM, then I believe I won't be able to sell it and it can be used just on my computer.

It is OEM locked to the specific hardware only. You can't sell it.

- - - Updated - - -

It is OEM locked to the specific hardware only. You can't sell it.

Back