CPU/Mobo how to flash bios using pen drive ?

sam000

Adept
Just got hold of a E7300 and my abit IP35E keeps on restarting ....think i need to flash to version 18 but i dont have floppy ....need to do it on my HP 16GB pen drive .
Please tell me step by step how to do it safely. Thanks :).

Just got hold of a E7300 and my abit IP35E keeps on restarting ....think i need to flash to version 18 but i dont have floppy ....need to do it on my HP 16GB pen drive .
Please tell me step by step how to do it safely. Thanks :).

These are the steps [does your motherboard support BIOS flashing from a pen-drive?] --
  • download the latest BIOS edition that you require;
  • format your pen-drive and place this file onto your [now blank] pen-drive;
  • change the boot priority in the BIOS of your motherboard to a removable drive;
  • restart your system and before it POST's insert your pen-drive;
  • if your motherboard sports the feature, it will detect the pen-drive and find the BIOS patch on it, then read the same and apply it;
  • after the patching is done it will ask you to reboot, so reboot the system and yank the pen-drive before the system POST's again and you should now be booted onto the OS on your hard-drive.
Hope this helps, Cheerio!

These are the steps [does your motherboard support BIOS flashing from a pen-drive?] --
  • download the latest BIOS edition that you require;
  • format your pen-drive and place this file onto your [now blank] pen-drive;
  • change the boot priority in the BIOS of your motherboard to a removable drive;
  • restart your system and before it POST's insert your pen-drive;
  • if your motherboard sports the feature, it will detect the pen-drive and find the BIOS patch on it, then read the same and apply it;
  • after the patching is done it will ask you to reboot, so reboot the system and yank the pen-drive before the system POST's again and you should now be booted onto the OS on your hard-drive.
Hope this helps, Cheerio!

I fortmat and copied the 5 files in the bios rar and selected the HP drive as first boot option - but mobo says the pendrive doesnt have a OS so cant boot :( .

I fortmat and copied the 5 files in the bios rar and selected the HP drive as first boot option - but mobo says the pendrive doesnt have a OS so cant boot :( .

Then I doubt that your motherboard supports BIOS flashing from a USB-media. Try using an optical-medium like a CD with the BIOS files on it.

Then I doubt that your motherboard supports BIOS flashing from a USB-media. Try using an optical-medium like a CD with the BIOS files on it.

After trying for so many hrs to get the pen drive/dvd to boot - finally solved it - pretty simple actually - used this tool called HP USB boot - it made the pendrive bootable and so the mobo didnt say the drive didnt have OS .

Upgraded to ver. 18 and voila it recognizes the E7300 - its doing 3.2 GHZ @1.2v - idnt know how far it will go - didnt push it further as i dont need over 3GHZ for running utorrent :p.

Thats one way of doing the flashing, the other way is to put the files in a FAT formatted drive and when starting up the system, press the function key/End key (In my case) to bring up the inbuilt BIOS flasher. You could also use the Windows app that some boards have.

After trying for so many hrs to get the pen drive/dvd to boot - finally solved it - pretty simple actually - used this tool called HP USB boot - it made the pendrive bootable and so the mobo didnt say the drive didnt have OS.

Thanks for sharing Sam, hope this RIG serves you well for many years to come. Cheerio!

Back