How to find the default gateway ??

Is there a way to find the dafault gateway for an IP address?? I know how to find the default gateway for my computer or a computer on which Im sitting... I mean using the ipconfig command!!

But how do I find the gateway IP for a frnd whose IP address I know... ??

yes.....I know it can b in the range of xxx.xxx.xxx.1 - xxx.xxx.xxx.254.... But is there any software to find out...or anything that can help ???

Any ideas ppl !??

yes.....thats the way I find it out for different IP address, but it may not b always accurate. You may not b always connected to the most fastest gateway....

So I was thinking if there was something...or some tool to find the fastest default gateway for an IP address... I think some tool using SNMP or BGP should b able to provid that info !!

Lets be logical ur ISP wont hv more than 3 or 4 ips assigned to their router,i use Exatt net and i am always passing through one of their 3 ips,i think you can play around for week and find out the ips of your ISP and which is the most prob IP used by them.
If you want to try any tool try Cain and Able.If you can put the purpose behind,if would be able to help you in better way.

BGP and SNMP will be of no use . i doubt any of these will be in use when it comes to the local isp network .

ideally the gateway can be any ip on the network . but lets say the ip add here is a.b.c.x where x is any number from 2 - 254 the gateway is usally a.b.c.1

other than that you could try to be on a network which has a setup of hubs rather than switched so that you try packet sniffing and see which of the machines on the lan has the highest network activity . check packets for sending and recieving ips ..then its your guess .

i would recommend etherreal as a tool for this .

Thanks to Sharekhan and Hacker for their advice.... I had initially tried ethereal...old version..I had, but that didnt help :(

Tried the newer wireshark...and after sitting with my fishing stick for some 4 hrs....one packet told me the gateway for IP I was lookin for ... and that too when I was chatting on yahoo msngr with that IP :lol:

Back