How to extend my wifi range? Wireless Repeaters ?

Mohit

Skilled
I stay in a three storey house (ground floor + 2). I want my existing Airtel wifi dsl connection to work on all the floors of the house. How do I do it?

Note : External wiring from existing airtel wifi modem to other places is not possible. I am looking for something that will amplify or extend the existing signal.

Please suggest a recommended setup along with the cost of devices.

Thanks.

I stay in a three storey house (ground floor + 2). I want my existing Airtel wifi dsl connection to work on all the floors of the house. How do I do it?
What is the model# of your existing wifi router ?

Put up a floor plan indicating where the existing router is located. Indicate clearly the distance from this router to areas you want coverage. Indictate how thick the walls are

What is your present coverage like. Do you even get full coverage on just one floor ?

Note : External wiring from existing airtel wifi modem to other places is not possible. I am looking for something that will amplify or extend the existing signal.
Tell what you intend to do with that signal. What bandwidth do your apps require. Just basic web browsing or more.

The main router is on the top floor as of now. Its a TP Link model (TL-WR340G) connected to the Airtel default modem. It covers the entire top floor. I just need something that can amplify its signals in the first and ground floor. I require bandwidth for normal web browsing and downloading.

one or two repeaters but question is where to locate them.

Without a floor plan he will have to figure it out himself as we are blind & deaf here.

See this thread, now that is the level of detail i expect to see. Floor plan, signal measurements etc. Much more useful for everybody to understand.

I do not have a floor plan. Its a basic 3 storey house and the router is on the top floor. How do I take signal measurements? Currently the first floor receives weak signals and there is almost no signal on the ground floor. There is an open courtyard in the house and the router is located on the top floor in front of the courtyard. So I think if I place repeaters at similar locations on the bottom two floors, it should be done.

Please advice on good models of repeaters and their prices.

I do not have a floor plan. Its a basic 3 storey house and the router is on the top floor. How do I take signal measurements? Currently the first floor receives weak signals and there is almost no signal on the ground floor. There is an open courtyard in the house and the router is located on the top floor in front of the courtyard. So I think if I place repeaters at similar locations on the bottom two floors, it should be done.

Please advice on good models of repeaters and their prices.

yes, you are spot on , that should work. get tp link repeaters ... there are these d-link repeaters, simply plugin to a socket, but they aint good for range. check out ap's /repeaters from Tp Link

I do not have a floor plan.
Then go make one and include the courtyard ! Get a measuring tape and indicate distances between router and rooms where you want the signal. Indicate how thick the walls are, don't just guess measure with a ruler.

Its a basic 3 storey house and the router is on the top floor.

Currently the first floor receives weak signals and there is almost no signal on the ground floor. There is an open courtyard in the house and the router is located on the top floor in front of the courtyard.
WHERE on the top floor is the router located. Nobody has a clue unless we see that indicated on floor plan.

I want to see pictures with signal readings & distances, these incomplete, vague, textual descriptions are difficult to follow let alone visualise for everybody concerned.

How do I take signal measurements?
Get an app called inssider from the playstore and put it on your mobile. Indicate on the plan what the signal reading is like within a range 5dB. Where it is strong, mention the reading, where it is weak do the same.

See the earlier thread i linked to.

So I think if I place repeaters at similar locations on the bottom two floors, it should be done.
if you say so boss, i have no way to say anything for or against right now.

Back