User Guides How to block Web Sites without any Softwares

Steps

1] Browse C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
2] Find the file named "HOSTS"
3] Open it in notepad
4] Under "127.0.0.1 localhost" Add 127.0.0.2 sitenameyouwantblocked.com , and that site will no longer be accessable.
5] Done!

-So-

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.2 www.blockedsite.com

- www.blockedsite.com is now unaccessable
For every site after that you want to add, just add "1" to the last number in the internal ip (127.0.0.2) and then the addy like before.

IE:
127.0.0.3 sms chat
127.0.0.4 sms chat
127.0.0.5 sms chat

This also works with banner sites, just find the host name of the server with the banners and do the same thing with that addy.

Hoep this small tutorial could keep you going in simple way of blocking websites. ;)

Well not actually. I dont think you would like to block all sites manually, would you?
Besides these softwares do provide you with some added features.... and also a cool lookin interface.

If you have two equally good softwares, one with a winME type interface and other with XP looks which would you prefer.

you're far better off using 0.0.0.0 as there'll be no resolution delay. If on the other hand you want to use HOSTS to block ad images then google for-, and install eDexter. In that case continue with 127.0.0.1
YAY

Re: How to block webSites without any Softwares

This is a very very old trick , really surprised some of u guys dont know abt the Host files.

Exactly, i've been using it for years and it made a 30kbs internet speed quite good.

Author also fails to mention sites that already provide you with a fairly good list of ad-sites to block like this

get that and use as your hosts file

and to really make this work you need edexter (or other webserver) to redirect to some image of your choice, otherwise sites will open slower since it will always be waiting for 127.0.0.1

Opera (or similar) & a good hosts file is really all you need for fast & safe browsing.

I have a six year old Katmai based box, and using 2K entries in my HOSTS file really freaks it out. So I got a better option. I use DNSKong with Edexter. It essentially hijacks all my DNS entries going out and returns 127.0.0.1 and edexter listens on localhost 80 and returns whatever you want it to, the default being simple images. Its list-based to block, whitelist and cache, pretty simple to configure and use.

2k entries ?...what spec is that katmai box ?

my hosts is 35k+ long works fine on the P3, 256MB RAM i'm typing this out with.

Interesting approach with DNS kong tho, opposite to hosts. I still prefer hosts ala the blacklist way as its much easier to maintain. A site has some annoying adds, just figure out the server they come from and i never see them again.

blr_p said:
2k entries ?...what spec is that katmai box ?

my hosts is 35k+ long works fine on the P3, 256MB RAM i'm typing this out with.

Interesting approach with DNS kong tho, opposite to hosts. I still prefer hosts ala the blacklist way as its much easier to maintain. A site has some annoying adds, just figure out the server they come from and i never see them again.

this is a P3-500 128MB RAM and I use for about 2 simultaneous winword docs, utorrent download, Nod32, Tiny firewall, and a couple of applications running in the background.. It was coming to a crawl with more than 2K entries...currently I have about 13K entries in DNSKong and its just another application in the systray. DnsKong also gives me more control to know where exactly I am going while browsing. there are have been a couple of false positives though but i still prefer it to the host file coz of the pattern matching.

it didn't help me I tried to block
gmail
yahoo
rediff
spymac
youtube

it doesn't seem to work

any bright ideas guys

That was GREAT.
And when i block a site, the browser doesnt tell anything like this is blocked or something...it just seems as if the site is down or the net is not working lol....
Thanks a TON !! :clap:

imdprogamer said:
it didn't help me I tried to block
gmail
yahoo
rediff
spymac
youtube

it doesn't seem to work

any bright ideas guys

Are u doing it like this?? See attachment