PC Peripherals How the Heck can i remove a XP-90?

Aditya

Skilled
Heyt guys,

How the hell can i remove the XP-90 from my CPU guys?

I need to clean it and put more Thermal "Goop" .. innit as i dont think i had put enough initially.

I tried removing it last time i was cleaning up my cabbie and parts but it just wont budge.

Any ideas?

(I use the LGA 775 Bracket ofcourse)

Plus// My cpu temp. has bumped upto 53 on Idle from 45. :|.

Apply pressure from top and remove the clips one at a time. Make sure that the proccy doesn't come out alongwith the heatsink.

i think with 775 its impossible that proccy will come out with heat sink ..... unless u broke the latch .....

Nikhil said:
No, it is possible.... the pins can get benmt if they are forced out.

I suggest you use a hair dryer and heat up the heatsink. While heating it, keep rotating it or at least trying to rotate it till it rotates.

The heat melts the goo and releases the pressure.

I once bent my CPU's pins read this thread :p http://www.techenclave.com/forums/bad-luck-bad-hands-3211.html

You are absolutely right..... pins can get bent.... The thermal compound hardens when the CPU is cold... and becomes like bloomin araldite.....:mad: You need to heat it up....could use a hairdryer or run your sys @ gaming for a half hour and then quickly open up and then use the hairdryer.... point being the CPU/HS should get hot enough to melt the goo...and try moving it gently b4 actually yankin and stuff.... it will sort of start to slide around (still sticky though) and you'll know that the goo has melted... Moving around also helps by bringing in some much needed air bubbles. bad for cooling but excellent for what u have in mind......

Run few rounds of Super Pi with your fan off... Switch the PC off... You will be able to remove it very very easily...

Well the problem is not getting the HS off the CPU. The Problem is getting the HS Clip's off the Bracket :(.

Its darn hard.

goldenfrag said:
Well the problem is not getting the HS off the CPU. The Problem is getting the HS Clip's off the Bracket :(.
Its darn hard.

Don't press down hard if your cabby doesn't have a stiff back plate could damage your board.... did this with a guys 915 board .... and boy was he p*****.... be careful...

775's a real b**ch in this regard.....

get a flat screwdriver, insert in each of the "LATCHES OR LOCKS OR HOOKS" 4 of them on each corner and turn then ANTI CLOCK wise until u can no further
then with 2 fingers grab each and pull away from the processor upwards,do it for all 4 and it shud jus dang out,psnothin like u need 2 heat up the comp or anything before removing it,the lock is pretty good trust me

been doing this for yrs:Di dont think i cud write it any simpler than that

Back