How many times can Win 8.1 key be activated on different mobos?

Hi

Can anybody tell me how many times can the same 8.1 key be activated on different mobos? That is i have changed my mobo about 3 times and the last time had to call Microsoft for activation, so how many more times before it won't activate any more?

depends on the Key, if the key is "OEM" then you can only use it with the board on which it was installed,
"Retail" keys can be activated many number of times, however I think auto activation gets disabled if the system suspects misuse.

Hi

Can anybody tell me how many times can the same 8.1 key be activated on different mobos? That is i have changed my mobo about 3 times and the last time had to call Microsoft for activation, so how many more times before it won't activate any more?
If it is a Retail Key then around 1000 times you can use. I am using mine since 2014 for about 20 times till now with 6 different Motherboards.

I remember changing mine 6 or 7 times. But I had to call Microsoft for those activation keys from the third time onwards, I think. As long as you have retail keys, you can rest easy. :)

The Microsoft dude told me that next time I need to change I need to deactivate the license on current mobo, so just uninstalling the key will be enough?

OEM keys , I have tested like 3 Windows 7 Professional , they can be used on 2 different motherboards . Like the one which came with my thinkpad was used for two motherboards on my PC . For retails keys I cant say , recently the one I have been using died after 3 activation . For Windows 10 , I didnt enter key after my first use , logging into my account auto activates the fresh installation everytime.

Back