Storage Solutions How is Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB ??

nRiTeCh

Skilled
A friend gave me his Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB. He bought some 2tb*2.

Its in good health and not much used and just went out of warranty.

So before I proceed storing data I wanted to know some hands on exposures on this disk.

So guys if you have used ST1000DM003 then let me know about its:
  • performance
  • failure rate
  • and any other issues.
Usage will be mostly for storing important data such as photos/videos/big softwares etc.

No gaming.

Should be OK. Use it with caution though.
Ok.

A pro friend recommend me to upgrade firmware to ver. CC4H http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/223651en
but when doing so at around 50% the process says "Model matched but firmware ver. not compatible"

Either my disk is already on latest ver. or dont know. as there seems to be no such comparisons between fw ver. CC82 and CC4H.

Following pic. was taken from google for ref. error.

Attachments

• seagate_firmware1.jpg
    seagate_firmware1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 136
Don't bother with firmware updates, it won't help on this model as the only firmware issue they are prone to is relating to the media cache and has yet to be fixed. The 1TB DM series isn't too bad compared to other DM models such as the notorious ST3000DM001 which saw a near 40% failure rate over the first couple years. However I still wouldn't trust it with anything that isn't backed up. We still see a lot of that model come in for recovery here.

Performance wise, these drives are pretty quick right up until they fail completely. Most Seagates are that way.

Back