Android How Indian Android Device Manufacturers are Fooling and Misleading You

rahulyo

Skilled
Micromax Canvas 4, a mid-range smartphone is seeing hype and excitement comparable to the likes of multinational brands — perhaps for the first time for an Indian manufacturer. Promising specifications better than many high-end devices, it has led people into thinking that this company is offering much more value at much lesser price.

Which is wrong.

For a nation that has always been highly price-conscious, it’s very easy to mislead people by advertising the number of cores a phone or a tablet has.

Same goes for Lava, Karbonn, Intex, Spice and all other Indian manufacturers, which are having a dream run this year. From a meager handset market share of less than 3% in 2012, they now account for nearly 30% of it (source). This obviously could not have been possible without Android, which has been lately driving an explosion of budget smartphones and tablets.

Source :- http://www.blogsolute.com/how-indian-android-device-manufacturers-fooling-misleading/28258/

Didn't read the blogpost
But, the world knows that these are NOT manufacturers of the device, only importers/resellers. they don't spend resources in design, r&d etc just rebranding and support.
The indian reseller's existence is on thin ice since the actual manufacturers are now coming in directly... like gionee.
Blame ourselves for this situation. Even those indians who can afford items built by indians go looking for cheap chinese stuff. We are an unpatriotic lot, looking at short term gain and long term pain.

The author totally fails to explain the "why" aspect of everything he wrote. I would say its total BS.

I remember one advertisement.. "Itna paisa me itnaich milenga"

Anyway, They are not misleading you. The processors they are using are LESS POWERFUL quad core in fact. They deliver what they promise. That's it.. About software updates, even Samsung, Sony, HTC are not gods in that case.. Every other company sucks in terms of updates.. If you want to buy an Android phone, either go with Nexus way or live with TouchWiz, Sense or such other fancy things.

There are few manufacturers who really care about their customers e.g. Oppo, Xiaomi. These guys have tied up with XDA, CyanogenMod etc. They release latest updates as soon as Android release sources (take around 1-2 week time for porting but that is acceptable).. I would love to buy Oppo phones in future. They are doing great, I wish companies like Micromax learn from Oppo, Xiaomi.

Whatever it is.. these manufactures has put devices with great features in hands of common-man... You go in a public transport (like Delhi Metro) and you will realize that...

I dont get why these people stress more on processor power.... I mean Seriously ...
As long as there are no Processor specific app/Game . These local brands are here to stay.... ;)

For 30k, what you get is:

1. in 99.90% cases, a phone that will last you for 3~4 years (with a battery replacement) if you do not need to have the latest ver of Android.
2. Promise of dependable service and repair if your phone conks off and spares even if your phone is way off it's age.
3. Enough internal storage to carry around most of your apps, photos and music.
4. Properly optimized software and hardware. Not a half baked mix of hardware & software.

By your logic, @techiegirl, we all should still be driving Premier Padmini's :)... And, yes, they are here to stay because it is pretty easy to fool the Indian consumer.

For 30k, what you get is:

1. in 99.90% cases, a phone that will last you for 3~4 years (with a battery replacement) if you do not need to have the latest ver of Android.
2. Promise of dependable service and repair if your phone conks off and spares even if your phone is way off it's age.
3. Enough internal storage to carry around most of your apps, photos and music.
4. Properly optimized software and hardware. Not a half baked mix of hardware & software.

By your logic, @techiegirl, we all should still be driving Premier Padmini's :)... And, yes, they are here to stay because it is pretty easy to fool the Indian consumer.
:) come on .. I feel old fashioned running older version .... Its just me ;) ...
These storage statements may look different if you reread them next year or probably after 6 months or so....
Half baked mix of hardware and software. ..Pantech burst fans will sue you If you say this again.. ;)...

The mantra you get what you pay for applies when comparing Local Manufacturers with Mobile Phone Giants. Expect lower spec'd devices at a lower price point. Fair enough and i you could also excuse delay/lack of updates by categorizing it under "lower specs".

But

Since when did lower specs/cheaper price justify pathetic durability? Can the end-consumer forgive a Local Mobile Manufacturer for selling a device that lasts anywhere between 6~12 months for 15K when you could buy a 30K phone with better specs from an Industry Giant that is more likely to last 3 years before giving out?

Here's one line in support of local rebranders.

They put pressure on branded companies to offer products in the low end. They prove there is a market for them.

The mantra you get what you pay for applies when comparing Local Manufacturers with Mobile Phone Giants. Expect lower spec'd devices at a lower price point. Fair enough and i you could also excuse delay/lack of updates by categorizing it under "lower specs".

But

Since when did lower specs/cheaper price justify pathetic durability? Can the end-consumer forgive a Local Mobile Manufacturer for selling a device that lasts anywhere between 6~12 months for 15K when you could buy a 30K phone with better specs from an Industry Giant that is more likely to last 3 years before giving out?
This is not true.. Ask pantec burst users :)

But

It is not completely true. I own Pantech Burst and i must say, it is a kick-ass phone for the price. And next to this, only X:L is in league(VFM wise, not spec-to-spec).
Also low end phones from Sammy,Sony do last longer. I still see people use their Galaxy Y w/o any issue. It is us, who install custom ROMs and brick the device. So not all low-end phones give out after 6-12 months.

Only they lack in after sales service dept if they can do what sammy does then they will get many more and also can last longer in the market
Also the after sales of many leading brands are itself not good enough, i don't have to name them

... for Best after sales service... they need to setup more and efficient service point ... this means more expenses ... increase in handset price .... and than it will kill there USP i.e LOW PRICE compare to Brand

(not about droid, but just wish to input) about branded product I'm unlucky as 1.5k price Micromax dead after 3 years and Samsung Rs.4.5k handset start giving problem from 5th month of it's purchase and still continues in 3rd year of it's life, but happy for Sound, MP3 and Camera Quality.

Only they lack in after sales service dept if they can do what sammy does then they will get many more and also can last longer in the market
Also the after sales of many leading brands are itself not good enough, i don't have to name them

:) come on .. I feel old fashioned running older version .... Its just me ;) ...
These storage statements may look different if you reread them next year or probably after 6 months or so....
Half baked mix of hardware and software. ..Pantech burst fans will sue you If you say this again.. ;)...
+1 for pantech burst

Back