Graphic Cards How Important is GFX card in VM home labs

vaibhav_1979

Market Restricted
Disciple
So i was running Home VM labs on my PC which is i7/16gb/1050ti . recently my card & motherboard went kaput due to water damage ,and i have restored the system using backup card GT 710 as display and a cheap PowerX mobo. i was running around 7 VM at a time and 1050ti had no problem. since the card/mobo is gone i haven't fired the VM's ....now i was wondering, till i get a replacement card can i run VM's on processor alone?

As basic as it gets.....gpu will be used for display only....here he used 1050ti so i'm guessing no specific settings to use gpu explicitly.....all work will be done by cpu i guess
I had tried vSGA but it created bottleneck and i am not running a high end workstation so vDGA cards are not needed .

So i was running Home VM labs on my PC which is i7/16gb/1050ti . recently my card & motherboard went kaput due to water damage ,and i have restored the system using backup card GT 710 as display and a cheap PowerX mobo. i was running around 7 VM at a time and 1050ti had no problem. since the card/mobo is gone i haven't fired the VM's ....now i was wondering, till i get a replacement card can i run VM's on processor alone?
mate, what's your usecase for the VMs? if you are not sure, then you may not have been using your GPU in the first place.

Have you passed the GPU through to any VM? If not, you can continue to use the machine.
Do note that some mobos wont boot at all without a GPU - if thats not the case with yours, feel free to use it in headless mode

Have you passed the GPU through to any VM? If not, you can continue to use the machine.
Do note that some mobos wont boot at all without a GPU - if thats not the case with yours, feel free to use it in headless mode
I was using 1050ti which is Pascal based card so it draws power from motherboard so never touched the Passthrough,also mobo that's another of my problem since my gigabyte mobo went kaput i am using this cheap PowerX motherboard for time being, this a mini ATX motherboard so you can understand how severe the limitations are.

mate, what's your usecase for the VMs? if you are not sure, then you may not have been using your GPU in the first place.

I am running a Active Directory Environment with 2 DC + 3 windows clients + 2 linux clients, i was about add a DNS server/ reverse proxy ..but before that my system went kaput.

Last edited:
I was using 1050ti which is Pascal based card so it draws power from motherboard so never touched the Passthrough,also mobo that's another of my problem since my gigabyte mobo went kaput i am using this cheap PowerX motherboard for time being, this a mini ATX motherboard so you can understand how severe the limitations are.

I am running a Active Directory Environment with 2 DC + 3 windows clients + 2 linux clients, i was about add a DNS server/ reverse proxy ..but before that my system went kaput.
By passthrough, I mean doing a logical pssthrough of the GPU to a VM.. not the physical power.. I guess you arent doing a pssthorugh then

I hope you havent setup a physical ESX on the hardware entirely and are running the lab virtually on vmware labs.
In that case it should work fine as there's no direct dependency on a gpu for a vm. Just ensure what Video memory you have set for your vm, you might need to lower that to a few mbs. I keep it to a 32-64mb with or wo gpu.

Back