How full proof/efficient/safe is Partition Magic?

eyeatoma

Disciple
I just bought a brand new Dell i7 PC (XPS Studio 435) and the hard disks are not partitioned.

I have 2 options, one would be to format the hard disk, and then create the partitions, or use partition manager for the drive Windows Vista is on (500 GB) and do a normal partition on the 2nd hard disk (ITB)

My question is how safe is it to use partition manager? Does it have the same efficiency and effect as if you were to create a regular, clean partition or are there chances for corrupted/lost data or unusable sectors? In the long run will I notice performance issues, and even worse file corruption, or file loss if I use parition magic, as opposed to doing a clean format?

The main reason for using PM is because I don't have much time to reformat the computer and install all the drivers. Sure its a brand new computer, and if its my only option I might actually do it, but if using partition manager is a viable alternative, I'd like to pursue it.

On another note, is a partition really required? Like I said, i'll have 1 harddisk which is 500 GB, and the other which is 1 tb. The operating system will be on the 500 gb, and the 1tb will be blank.

I could just delay the partition for about 8 months until Windows 7 comes out, and then I could reformat the computer then and do a clean install.

But if I were to do a partition, how many would you guys recommend for my system, seeing that I have copious amounts of hard disk space. 5 partitions, 6?

I just read a review from Cnet that said that Partition Magic can only create partitions in drives up to 160GB in size???? Is that true? Thats ridiculously small in this day and age...

Partition Magic is a pretty old and outdated software.

Either go for Acronis Disk Director or a Linux Live CD with Gparted on it.

BOth applications work well. FOr ease of use, I would suggest Acronis, I havent used Gparted, yet.

Acronis will pretty much do everything u want. And no issues as such.

Partition magic did screw up 6 out of 10 times. The 4 times must have been on the old disk.

I would suggest: Backup using Acronis, do all the play with partition, once done just restore.

~LT

^ I'd been using partition magic since a long time and it always worked perfectly for me, however since symantec bought them over there havn't been any updates at all, for whatever reasons :huh:

so +1 for Acronis

Thanks guy, I see that you're all suggesting the same program...

So I'm guessing it wouldn't be prudent to just leave my hard disks unpartitioned? Like I said I would be upgrading to Windows 7 once it officially releases...

How badly is a partition really required.

+1 for Acronis,I have used it several times .Does the job well w/o any issues
eyeatoma said:
How badly is a partition really required.

erm....its better to have multiple partitions to organize your data better.Dumping tons of stuff into a single large partition and one fine days,something goes wrong and if you want to format the drive means you are in trouble.

Back