How does sending emails as different entities from one E-mail address work?

rootyme

Disciple
I wonder how this works! On many company contact Email IDs, you'll find an ID that starts with info@xyz.in or info@xyz.com where "xyz" is the variable for the company name.

In this particular case, a company's Legal and Support Team both reply from info@xyz.in. Note that. Do companies appoint the same mail ID to all departments? If yes, why?

Now, my questions. Please answer them -

1. Is there any way to check if the mail(s) are actually sent from info@xyz.in's inbox or if support and legal are just deceiving you by mailing from info@xyz.in?

2. When the support team or the legal team of a company reply from info@xyz.in, while their actual ID being something else (e.g. support@xyz.in or legal@xyz.in) does that reply/mail get saved in the inbox/sent mail of info@xyz.in? Or does it get saved on the actual mail ID(s) of the sender (e.g. support@xyz.in or legal@xyz.in)?

3. Does mailing as somebody else as explained here - https://support.google.com/mail/answer/22370?hl=en - mean that the that second mail ID (info@xyz.in)'s inbox remains forever clean until and unless somebody actually logs into info@xyz.in and sends a mail from there?

4. When both departments (Support and Legal) mail from the same mail ID info@xyz.in, is it possible for one department to not know about the other unless a department e.g. support@xyz.in is mailing as info@xyz.in using the methods explained here https://support.google.com/mail/answer/22370?hl=en or any other if applicable?

5. You and support@xyz.in engage in a discussion on a email thread. You suddenly get a reply from info@xyz.in. info@xyz.in, out of nowhere, replies to your mail. Note that. Now -

Note - In this case, neither you nor support@xyz.in ever add anybody else (i.e info@xyz.in) as a joint participant during the conversation. This means two things -
i) Either support@xyz.in is replying from info@xyz.in.​
ii) Or this means that the mail in question (which info@xyz.in replied to) was initially replied to by support@xyz.in while removing you as a recipient and adding info@xyz.in as the receiver. Once info@xyz.in received that, info@xyz.in replied to it adding only you as the recipient. Thus you ended up getting a reply from info@xyz.in.​
Am I right or wrong?​

Last edited:
Ok, outside of getting help from the people running mail servers, proving email was really sent needs goodwill from both parties. You send a screenshot of your sent mail, they trust you, and you trust that they will trust you when you are right.

The world of email is so rotten that you both may be correct. E.g. your email reached their spam box, they don't check their spam, and it got deleted in 30 days or whatever is their setting.

But their email administrators, and yours, both can confirm this. Generally email metadata logs are kept for a long time.

When we send email to a generic email of a company normally it get assigned to a rep who is then responsible for all further communications but if you see a reply from another sender then there can be 2 possibilities. 1. Company Rep added an additional guy to assist 2. There is an automated trigger for some keywords (I am not 100% sure about it so please correct if I am wrong) so second email is looped in.

You are probably overthinking this. This kind of arrangement is quite common in large organization. Any mail sent to info@xyz.in (or support@xyz.in) will be received by an application which will store it in a database (and create a case). The case will then get assigned to a customer service agent who will type the response (in a web app similar to TE). The update will then get sent out with info@xyz.in source address.

No one is using an email application (like outlook or thunderbird).

Back