How do people manage with Ear Pods ?

If I am on a call, I usually can easily make-out whether a person is wearing bluetooth device.
Most bluetooth ear sets sound extremely muffled. And that is because of two reasons:
1) microphone is placed at ear. This attenuates most of the frequencies above 500 Hz.
2) speech clarity is governed by loudness in 1600-4000 Hz spectrum.

I am not sure if airpods and others do this compensation of frequency spectrum loss.

There are times when mobile to mobile can be uintelligible because both have weak signal. Call up the mobile with a landline and the quality improves.

The Galaxy Buds Pro arrived :)

Initial impressions were not good as the sound was lousy with the medium stock tips. Changed to the larger stock size and things improved dramatically after. Now I could listen at half the volume and it sounded good.

Then I wanted to see how long I could endure wearing these things. The left one went in well and stayed there the right one was a little more fiddly. A few re-adjusts and it was better. Just forgot about them after hehe. The only reason to remove them was to recharge them over six hours later. They're comfortable, no pain after hours. What a relief !! No need to get Buds live because these pros are good and the ANC, sound quality and touch controls are better.

So many people complain about the fit of these pros. Well, if you're the type that usually wears Large size tips, these will be fine because your ears are big enough. If you prefer small or medium then maybe skip these and go with something else. Now just because you wear large does not guarantee they won't fall out. So this is where foam tips come in. I had some already from Signature Acoustics. They only offer these in large size.

These tips are about half a cm taller than the stock ones. So I reduced them a few mm with a blade. They are generic and will fit stems from 4 to 6mm. Just wiggled them on and they were good. The case closes when they are smaller and foam plugs up your ears good. They are a little more comfortable than stock which is pretty good, to begin with, but gives the impression at least on my right that it will fall out. I don't think they will just feels like it will. Don't get this feeling with the modded foam tip from Signature Acoustics.

Such a simple fix that I hardly heard any reviewer mention it. You don't need to shell out the large sums Comply wants. These will work great with any other in ears you have or have discomfort with wearing for a long time and the bonus is you listen at a lower volume because the passive isolation is so good.

I can see the improvements firmware updates have made since reviews were made over a year back. One guy was mentioning how he cut off three people just trying to adjust the pros for a better fit. This does not happen anymore. Fiddling with them with two fingers does not result in any interruption to what I'm listening to. The touch controls are responsive to just the right extent and very handy. I did not want to go for inears with buttons as it's not as good as touch. I like that a couple of taps at the back of the ear will either reduce or increase volume or a touch and hold switches ANC or ambient on. Don't see this ambient feature implemented as well on other models. It increases your hearing if you wanted to listen better to what others are saying a little further away.

At IPX7, don't see why you can't work out with these once the fit is good. If you want extra security just get a sweat bad that covers them. I found I could even sleep with these on the side as they don't protrude much if you have thick pillows that is. No phantom touches are caused.

Tried them with the V20 that is still on Nougat and Galaxy wearable app and manager installed without a hitch. Eve offered to update the firmware. So you don't need to have a Sammie phone like how Oneplus is enforcing with their Buds pro. The only two things you lose without a Sammie phone is being able to reduce latency somewhat in game mode and extra control over Ambient noise.

Going for half their launch price these days. Pleased with them and am going to manage just fine :)

Last edited:
The nano sized TP Link BT adapter is working fine btw. Regarding latency, I think it's okay for watching videos and stuffs. It feels like in the range of 100-150 ms maybe. I am not bothered with it anyhow. The loudness of my cheap earphones though, even at 90% it's not really loud. I could probably invest behind a full sized bluetooth headphone now for relaxed listening.

Attachments

• PXL_20220517_164221001.jpg
    PXL_20220517_164221001.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 61
The nano sized TP Link BT adapter is working fine btw. Regarding latency, I think it's okay for watching videos and stuffs. It feels like in the range of 100-150 ms maybe. I am not bothered with it anyhow. The loudness of my cheap earphones though, even at 90% it's not really loud. I could probably invest behind a full sized bluetooth headphone now for relaxed listening.
On a PC or phone the video player adjusts latency for video.

How is the gaming ?

The Buds Pro while all they are claimed to be went into the drawer after I picked up the Buds Live. I've started wearing the Live since Aug almost exclusively indoors.

Sometime last month I noticed the left one getting softer over a few weeks and ultimately couldn't hear anything from it. All it needed was cleaning. How to do it

I did the IPA with the earbud thing first but that did nothing.

The trick was using a toothbrush after. I repeated the process, three times on all three grills of the Buds live. IPA with earbud and then a toothbrush

The left bud is as good as new now :couchpotato:

Back