How do I increase the Wi-Fi range of my router?

Mahamud

Recruit
Hi guys

I am looking to increase the range of my Wi-Fi router. But before going for a booster or for a more advanced router I want to try to increase the range of my current router. Because the other option is a bit expensive. I followed this article and did the following changes and still, I couldn’t increase my Wi-Fi range. Can someone help me with this? (I am trying to use my router connection from my parent’s house which is right next to my house)

01. Moving the router to a closer place than before.

02. Switching from 5GHz to 2.4 GHz.

You cannot increase range of a router unless it has some settings to do so and given that the defaults are not maxed out.
The best you can do is make sure the channel is optimal for your area and there are minimal walls between router and target device.

• Using a Wifi monitoring tool (many are available for both Win/android like Wifiman/Wifi collector etc) first map the signal strength in the current location so that you have a baseline of signal strengths.
  • What is the model of the router that you are using? Check if the router is transmitting at maximum power? If you switch to maximum power ensure that there is proper ventilation around the router. Most of the routers have a setting which have setting which controls the transmit power.
  • Ensure that there are no obstructions between your house and your parents house. Are there any walls in between? The 5 GHz band will travel lesser distance than the 2.4 GHz band when there are obstructions in between and if possible move the router to a higher location with no obstructions.
  • Also as @enthusiast29 suggested check if there are any other devices/routers which are using the same channels using the Wifi monitoring tools. If you find any then move your routers channel to one with less interefence.

Hi guys

I am looking to increase the range of my Wi-Fi router. But before going for a booster or for a more advanced router I want to try to increase the range of my current router. Because the other option is a bit expensive. I followed this article and did the following changes and still, I couldn’t increase my Wi-Fi range. Can someone help me with this? (I am trying to use my router connection from my parent’s house which is right next to my house)

01. Moving the router to a closer place than before.

02. Switching from 5GHz to 2.4 GHz.
1)Run a cable between your parents house and your house and set up an access point. That way no signal loss, no speed loss.
2)If unable to set up cable, set up a tri band mesh setup, for minimal speed drop.
3) last case repeater setup.

• Using a Wifi monitoring tool (many are available for both Win/android like Wifiman/Wifi collector etc) first map the signal strength in the current location so that you have a baseline of signal strengths.
  • What is the model of the router that you are using? Check if the router is transmitting at maximum power? If you switch to maximum power ensure that there is proper ventilation around the router. Most of the routers have a setting which have setting which controls the transmit power.
  • Ensure that there are no obstructions between your house and your parents house. Are there any walls in between? The 5 GHz band will travel lesser distance than the 2.4 GHz band when there are obstructions in between and if possible move the router to a higher location with no obstructions.
  • Also as @enthusiast29 suggested check if there are any other devices/routers which are using the same channels using the Wifi monitoring tools. If you find any then move your routers channel to one with less interefence.
Thanks for your suggestions

Back