How can I use my Router with Airtel Router ZTE-F670LV9.0

Hi guys,

I am using Airtel fibre, which comes with router ZTE-F670LV9.0 with numerous limitations like limited static-IP mappings and other goodies. After searching on the web, I came to know, I should ask the Airtel Team to enable bridge mode using which I can connect my own router to their router.

Can you explain how feasible this is? like AirTel entertain these requests? If so, how should I set it up?

Last time I checked bsnl/airtel/jio accepted request for converting their modem to bridge mode but time to do it varies depending on the provider/locality. If you are going to do this then better watch some youtube videos (there are many) &/or check broadband.forum website which has a very active ISPs discussion section but easiest way would be if you can get your ISP technician to set up your own router (just record/note down what he does in your own router settings for future reference). Before doing all this though first decide on which router you are going to use & buy it first because to setup connection in bridge mode you likely have to provide some details of your own router which you are planning on using with ISP modem in bridge mode (tp-link archer C6 is a well established budget model).

This thread is a good read.

If you have queries, let me know!

Just adding a note here that if you don't want outside access to your home network, you can just setup your own network with your own router. Just connect Airtel router's LAN port to your router's WAN port and configure your router as having a static IP connection. Assign a static IP to your router in Airtel router's interface.

For all practical purposes, the Airtel router is now the ISP's router as far as your router is concerned.

Unless you need outside access to your network, there will be no difference between this and bridge mode. But by doing this, you'll be able to avoid having to deal with hard to reach, clueless people at Airtel customer service.

I've actually done this deliberately to add a hop between internet and my home devices, essentially putting them behind NAT. I might be wrong, but it feels more secure this way.

Just adding a note here that if you don't want outside access to your home network, you can just setup your own network with your own router. Just connect Airtel router's LAN port to your router's WAN port and configure your router as having a static IP connection. Assign a static IP to your router in Airtel router's interface.

For all practical purposes, the Airtel router is now the ISP's router as far as your router is concerned.

Unless you need outside access to your network, there will be no difference between this and bridge mode. But by doing this, you'll be able to avoid having to deal with hard to reach, clueless people at Airtel customer service.

I've actually done this deliberately to add a hop between internet and my home devices, essentially putting them behind NAT. I might be wrong, but it feels more secure this way.
Just some additional info, the above isn't even required if your ISP is using CGNAT which almost everyone is using nowadays because behind CGNAT is like being behind your ISP main router with all NAT/port forwarding disabled. You can check if your ISP is using CGNAT by opening whatismyipaddress.com website in browser & match the ip address shown there with what is being shown in your ISP modem router wan interface. If they are different then your ISP is using CGNAT.

Hi guys,

I am using Airtel fibre, which comes with router ZTE-F670LV9.0 with numerous limitations like limited static-IP mappings and other goodies. After searching on the web, I came to know, I should ask the Airtel Team to enable bridge mode using which I can connect my own router to their router.

Can you explain how feasible this is? like AirTel entertain these requests? If so, how should I set it up?
yes just drop them a mail and they will enable it after that just dial pppoe on your router and you are good to go.

This is what I have been doing so far with some mesh routers. Any obvious disadvantages of this over bridge mode?
Unless you need outside access to your network, none. Even outside access is possible using Tailscale, but I do feel it's quite slow if you want to download stuff from your home network when you're outside.

Can't port forward. Your Airtel provided router is most probably the network bottleneck. For regular home use, doesn't matter at all.
Well that can be solved by putting the connected own router IP in dmz zone of airtel router & then configuring everything in your own router incl nat & port forwarding & turn off the wifi of airtel/ISP router. I don't know why this method is not popular as it completely avoids contacting isp support which always is a hassle when asking for bridge mode in isp provided router not to mention all those "serial no/mac addresses registered on ISP side" & their correct spoofing on own router side/getting own router mac/serial registered on isp side. Am I missing something?

Well that can be solved by putting the connected own router IP in dmz zone of airtel router & then configuring everything in your own router incl nat & port forwarding & turn off the wifi of airtel/ISP router. I don't know why this method is not popular as it completely avoids contacting isp support which always is a hassle when asking for bridge mode in isp provided router not to mention all those "serial no/mac addresses registered on ISP side" & their correct spoofing on own router side/getting own router mac/serial registered on isp side. Am I missing something?
Some of the Airtel provided routers don't allow to configure DMZ/Port forward at all (or have some weird restrictions).

Some of the Airtel provided routers don't allow to configure DMZ/Port forward at all (or have some weird restrictions).
Not sure if this is some recent change or model specific but saw a friend using the same setup in his airtel router where one can select any connected device from the drop down menu in dmz zone settings. He has connected an archer c6 wan port to lan port of airtel router & put it in dmz zone of airtel router & use c6 wifi only to connect devices but he rarely use torrents so not sure if port forwarding is working correctly but everything typical is working fine. I will ask him to check it whenever he is free later but from the config details he has shown me it should work fine.

Back