Home theatre for 7-8k

Trajan

Adept
my friend wants to set a home theatre... he wud seperatly buy the DVD player...

there are a few home theatre sets from philips for 7-8k, one set(incl dvd player) from samsung for 10k and one model from sony for 14k(online price) with DVD player...

the other option wud be a 5.1 computer speaker.... few things that i had in mind were Altec Lansing GT5051, Logitech x-530... what are the other options available???

his hall is approx 300-400 sq feet... read somewhere that comp speakers are gud only at close range...

i suggested him the MX5021 but he has said that he wants a 5.1....

which is better home theatre or 5.1 comp speaker???

and which wud give best sound qual in general? home theatre or 5.1 comp speakers or MX5021?

one thing i noted was most of the home theatre systems i mentioned above were rated more than 200W RMS - is this true?

I think Trajan should stick with Altec Lansing, no doubt Creative is good but most of it comes with WIRED REMOTE, About Philips, best customer care in India but as per some of our members not good for Audio.

@Anish - samsung bundles their DVD player with the home theatre right? do they give the speakers alone? i simply dont believe the samsung DVD players after seeing the qual of their optical drives....

get the Philips set or the Logitech X-530.
the Altec GT5051 is a pseudo 5.1,meaning that there are no rear satellite speakers...the rear surround effects are produced by reflecting sound of walls.i heard it for music and it sounds good,but i dont know whether it can produce the surround effects properly.

Trajan said:
@Anish - samsung bundles their DVD player with the home theatre right? do they give the speakers alone? i simply dont believe the samsung DVD players after seeing the qual of their optical drives....

Yeah they do bundle the Spkrs + DVD Player.

And lol, the quality of their home theatre's is waay better than their PC components (Two different divisions ;))

guys i am also purchasing one for me.
but not 5.1
i am going for Altec 641
237 Watts Total Continuous Power RMS (4x32 W/Satellites; 109 W/Sub)
400 Watts Total Peak Power
Tri-Mode Selector
Dual Subwoofer Drivers
Mylar Tweeters
High Performance Drivers
Full-Function Digital Controller
Total Connectivity
Headphone Jack
Auxiliary Input Jack
Wall Bracket
Shielded Satellites

howz that model.

i dont want 2.1 and will take Z5500 later.
right now want some good speakers. budget is exact -7-8k.

plz let me know best model in that moeny.

is Altec 641 available in chennai? how much does it cost?

@Chaos - is the sound clarity better than MX5021??

which is overall better speaker - Altec Lansing GT5051 or Altec Lansing 641?

i am getting it around 8.5-9k. i ll try to reduce the price as best as possible.
hoz that. in 4.1 these speakers are King. best for that price.

i personally feel that 641 are better coz you can get virtual dolby effect with powerful Bass. and clarity is sexy. i saw these in exibition. it was big hall and these speakers were killing everybody.

Trajan said:
is Altec 641 available in chennai? how much does it cost?

@Chaos - is the sound clarity better than MX5021??

which is overall better speaker - Altec Lansing GT5051 or Altec Lansing 641?

No... MX5021 is way better than 641 in quality but 641 is monster power for the price and probably has the tightest bass for a multimedia sub. GT5051 is a POS... I have no clue why altec introduced it :p.

man Altec Lansing GT5051 is only 80W RMS vx 641 is 237 RMS total is 400 :)
and MX 5021 is 90W only. great effect and clarity but power .....................
if you love power then no compitition to 641.

you should listen first demo. where i first saw it was big hall for exibition. around 400-500 people capacity and it was rocking till the end of the hall.
getting extra effect with low volume OR insane power of bass with clarity - your choice.

i will just say - go for demo of both. get properely encoded DVD-Audio and check quality of these monsters.
i am talking DVD-Audio not mp3 or something.

avi_avadhut,

Where is your location?

In bombay I didn't find Altec Speakers except Lemington Road (as all say the same, I yet to vist LT Road)

avi_avadhut said:
i am getting it around 8.5-9k. i ll try to reduce the price as best as possible.
hoz that. in 4.1 these speakers are King. best for that price.

i personally feel that 641 are better coz you can get virtual dolby effect with powerful Bass. and clarity is sexy. i saw these in exibition. it was big hall and these speakers were killing everybody.

Those were my dream speakers during the 4.1 days. cost was near 22k at the time. the only minus point ever mentioned in its reviews at the time was its price. :)

avi_avadhut said:
i will just say - go for demo of both. get properely encoded DVD-Audio and check quality of these monsters.
i am talking DVD-Audio not mp3 or something.

Naa... DVD Audio is not necessary... even normal cd audio is enuf. You need really high end (1000$+) speakers with an equal amp and source to actually make out the diff between DVD audio and well mastered redbook cd audio. In fact I have to strain my ears to actually distinguish between 320kbps mp3s and lossless flac/wav etc on my setup. Granted it does have a crappy audiophile USB as the source right now which is holding me back :p (which I'm changing shortly to a DAC with differential BB PCM1796 converters) but still, its crazily hard to distinguish between between 320kbps mp3s and cdda.

Hey Chaos,

Why didn't you open a site Related to Speaker Guide. My God where did you get and remember all this informations?

Even it is enough if you just collect all you post/answer fom various forum/thread and upload same !

By the Way what are you doing man?

Just Curious.

^^Join the english section of hifi-forum.de ;). Its mostly indian but I have a hard time comprehending even 1% of what the folks there talk about :p. I'm just a newb in audio lol.

Guys,

How about Boston speakers /invisible speakers available at bangalore?? will it come around 7k??

one more qn : I am planning to connect my 5.1 to both DVD player & comp. Is there a ready switchover which would avoid pluggin n unpluggin each time while switching between DVD and comp?? :huh:

^^Are you talking about boston acoustics? There's no chance you'd get even a pair of standmounts in that price from BA. You could check them out though... they are available in Audio Planet at koramangla.

Hey Chaos,

Then suggest me a gud 5.1 home theater costing around 7k, which cud be used for both DVD n comp.

and ne idea on this qn????
one more qn : I am planning to connect my 5.1 to both DVD player & comp. Is there a readymade switchover which would avoid pluggin n unpluggin each time while switching between DVD and comp??

Back