Budget 71-90K High end Ryzen APU build (without GPU for now), my first time!

Digigear

Disciple
I just placed the order for this whole rig:-

#ComponentBrandItemAmount (USD)Amount (₹)Link
1CPUAMDAMD Ryzen 7 5700G 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Radeon Graphics23,450*https://nationalpc.in/processors/amd-ryzen-7-5700g
2Mother BoardASUSAsus TUF Gaming B550 PLUS WIFI AMD Motherboard14,500**https://nationalpc.in/motherboards/asus-tuf-gaming-b550m-plus-wi-fi
3MemoryCorsairCorsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C18 AMD Optimized Memory – Black71.655373.75***https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07TC4TPCN/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
4StorageWestern DigitalWD_BLACK 1TB SN750 SE NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, Up to 3,600 MB/s - WDS100T1B0E115.758681.25***https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B095HB3L6G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1
5Power SupplyASUSAsus ROG Strix 1000W Gold PSU (ROG-STRIX-1000G)16,300**https://nationalpc.in/power-supply-units/asus-rog-strix-1000g
6CabinetASUSASUS TUF Gaming GT501 case supports up to EATX with metal front panel, tempered-glass side panel, 120 mm RGB fan, 140 mm PWM fan, radiator space reserved, and USB 3.1 Gen 110,500**https://nationalpc.in/computer-cases/tuf-gaming-gt501-case
TotalFully functional build105078,805
* - The CPU is an open box unit. Everything else is new.
** - Got discounts from talking to @Prosenjit from Nationalpc.in
*** - Purchased it from the US through a friend who was coming back

I made a post here couple of months ago discussing builds and I backed out in the last minute after hearing about the Ryzen 7000 series announcement because I thought I'd wait for it. But I honestly can't wait anymore.

I need a good PC not just for gaming but also for productivity and coding projects. So just placed an order for this.

I went for higher end specs in terms of motherboard and cabinet and PSU because my plan is to eventually get a high end GPU for this later this year and maybe in a year or two I will just pass on the CPU and mobo and RAM to my dad (who doesn't need any gaming stuff) and get myself the Ryzen 7000 series CPU with DDR5 RAM.

This is going to be my first ever build.

I think I made wise decisions in terms of my product choices and ended up with quite an attractive price for the overall package. But I would love to hear thoughts from more experienced builders.

Also I have no clue how to build. I'm just thinking of watching YouTube videos and doing it myself. I think it will be fun. But any tips for a first time builder would be appreciated.

Also shoutout to @Prosenjit for helping me select items and talking me through all the decisions and offering attractive discounts! At first I was just going to get the open box CPU from him. But he's a good salesman haha, I ended up getting EVERYTHING from him!

Last edited:
If you want better multitasking you should not really skimp out on RAM. 1GB per thread is less IMO. This rig deserves a 32GB kit minimum. If you do coding/browsing at the same time and keep a lot of tabs open 16GB will fillup in no time and you'll be writing to pagefile which will slow your system down.

I suggest to not pay the Asus/ROG tax on 3 things and get 32GB kit.

That price for R7 5700G is decent. For productivity tasks, 32GB RAM is minimum IMO, with the potential to upgrade to 64GB if 32GB doesn't cut it. I myself built a new PC with 32GB RAM, even though my most intensive task on it is gaming because, during some of my workflow, I have seen RAM usage close to 15GB on my laptop. On my desktop, have seen a few times with RAM usage beyond 16GB, so glad I bought 32GB (I have been stuck with 16GB since 2015, so finally the time to jump up).

I will say that you have easily overpaid on the cabinet & PSU. I don't think you will need a cabinet with top 360mm AIO support with that CPU, also something like Lian Li Lancool II Mesh will outperform it in thermals because of better airflow. For PSU, a 750W gold would have been easily sufficient for GPUs under 3080, maybe even for 3080 as that CPU is not too power hungry, like an i9. These 2 changes would have saved you 8-9k easily.

Just my views, nothing else. Good mobo & SSD choice, great price on RAM as well, but USD, so expected. That SSD was 9k in India as well though, so overpriced in US.

If you want better multitasking you should not really skimp out on RAM. 1GB per thread is less IMO. This rig deserves a 32GB kit minimum. If you do coding/browsing at the same time and keep a lot of tabs open 16GB will fillup in no time and you'll be writing to pagefile which will slow your system down.

I suggest to not pay the Asus/ROG tax on 3 things and get 32GB kit.
I never thought about this.

I don't have to skip on the 1000w PSU and the cabinet for this. I'll just get another 3600Mhz 16GB kit to match the one I have now. But probably in a month or so, so that I can actually run the machine for some time and see if my use does indeed bottleneck the system.

Thanks!
That price for R7 5700G is decent. For productivity tasks, 32GB RAM is minimum IMO, with the potential to upgrade to 64GB if 32GB doesn't cut it. I myself built a new PC with 32GB RAM, even though my most intensive task on it is gaming because, during some of my workflow, I have seen RAM usage close to 15GB on my laptop. On my desktop, have seen a few times with RAM usage beyond 16GB, so glad I bought 32GB (I have been stuck with 16GB since 2015, so finally the time to jump up).

I will say that you have easily overpaid on the cabinet & PSU. I don't think you will need a cabinet with top 360mm AIO support with that CPU, also something like Lian Li Lancool II Mesh will outperform it in thermals because of better airflow. For PSU, a 750W gold would have been easily sufficient for GPUs under 3080, maybe even for 3080 as that CPU is not too power hungry, like an i9. These 2 changes would have saved you 8-9k easily.

Just my views, nothing else. Good mobo & SSD choice, great price on RAM as well, but USD, so expected. That SSD was 9k in India as well though, so overpriced in US.
I see your point on the cost savings of 8 - 9k if I went for other options on the PSU and cabinet. But it was a deliberate choice on my part. Here's my reasoning:-
  1. PSU - I absolutely think paying a few 1000 extra for a 1000W PSU is justified because these things last several years, esp with the 10 yr warranty the ASUS unit comes with. I think it's quite a steal at 16.3k. And it's going to last me for the next few builds hopefully. I think it's much better to go overboard on this rather than potentially run into insufficience in which case this would be useless and I'll anyway have to shell out more and have to deal with the hassle of selling this off. The technology on PSU units don't change too much, so it's definitely justified in planning super long-term. I was looking way beyond this current build.
  2. Cabinet - I like the build quality of the ASUS GT501. This is something that I wasn't super sure of tbh. I still don't know for sure, but I think for that build quality, and again, the future proof-ness of the fact that it can support a lot of components and configurations is very nice. I think I can put this to good use for my Ryzen 7000 series build that I'm anyway going to do in the next year. I also LOVE the handles on the top. I just generally think it looks good and not too flashy and RGBy like other cases (I hate too much RGB btw!). And I think it came at a decent price, so, not too worried about it.
Again, I completely agree with the point that these two are overkill for my current build. But I'd much rather pay the premium and invest long-term than have to upgrade secondary stuff like PSU and cabinets too frequently.

Thanks for your inputs! :)

Last edited:
Last edited:

Just found this.

Doesn't change my mind though XD.

I think having a comfortable overhead also minimizes power consumption because it doesn't heat so much and higher rated PSU are just more efficient.
Hey I don't oppose your opinion, I just bought 750W 80+ gold PSU with 10 yr warranty myself back in Dec 2020 and based on same analogy (only that I wouldn't ever buy inefficient GPUs such as 3080ti/3090 or other buffed up shits) but who knew in just 1 year the standards would start to change after remaining same all these years.

No need to worry on psu part as 12v connectors will always be there for rescue just like for over a decade everyone survived for gpus 6 and 8 pins without a proper standard connector o their psu. Still people use those connectors.

While the new PSU's are gonna have the new 12pin connectors, I think the new GPU's will come with an adapter for the old connector as well for your old PSU's. I think Paul's Hardware said that the new 3090Ti or something has 450W will have the new 12pin on it. But the card will ship with a 12pin to 3 8pin adapter.
Hopefully it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

So I'm in the middle of modifying the rig based on the inputs I've received here.

So this is the new setup.

#ComponentBrandItemAmount (₹)Link
1CPUAMDAMD Ryzen 7 5700G 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Radeon Graphics23,450https://nationalpc.in/processors/amd-ryzen-7-5700g
2Mother BoardASUSAsus TUF Gaming B550 PLUS WIFI AMD Motherboard14,500https://nationalpc.in/motherboards/asus-tuf-gaming-b550m-plus-wi-fi
3StorageWestern DigitalWD_BLACK 1TB SN750 SE NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, Up to 3,600 MB/s - WDS100T1B0E8681.25https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B095HB3L6G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1
4MemoryCorsairCorsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C18 AMD Optimized Memory – Black5373.75https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07TC4TPCN/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
5MemoryCorsair2 x Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 8GB DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C18 AMD Optimized Memory – Black6,400https://nationalpc.in/desktop-memory/corsair-vengeance-lpx-8gb-ddr4-3600-cl16-ram-cmk8gx4m1z3600c18
6Power SupplyASUSAsus ROG Strix 850W Gold PSU (ROG-STRIX-850G)12,760https://www.theitdepot.com/details-...+Power+Supply+(ROG-STRIX-850G)_C14P34165.html
7CabinetCorsairCorsair Carbide Series 275R Airflow Tempered Glass Mid-Tower Gaming Case — Black7,640https://nationalpc.in/computer-case...ow-tempered-glass-mid-tower-gaming-case-black
TotalFully functional build78,805

So it's the same price as in the original post. But now with 32GB RAM and also a more airy case and a more reasonable 850W PSU.

I feel like this is more balanced. And I'm really glad I made this post as soon as I placed the order rather than later! Thanks for everyone's inputs!

Thoughts on this new setup?

Last edited:
Probably because they might not be able to change what is being brought over from the US for them, so buying another kit here makes sense. They'll sell pretty easily if upgrading I think.

Probably because they might not be able to change what is being brought over from the US for them, so buying another kit here makes sense. They'll sell pretty easily if upgrading I think.
Yup!

Also, as I mentioned earlier, my eventual build will be the Ryzen 7000 series, which uses DDR5. And when I get that, I will be giving this to my dad or have this as a secondary machine. My dad surely doesn't need more than 32GB. So this is great.

Yup!

Also, as I mentioned earlier, my eventual build will be the Ryzen 7000 series, which uses DDR5. And when I get that, I will be giving this to my dad or have this as a secondary machine. My dad surely doesn't need more than 32GB. So this is great.
2x16GB is usually cheaper than 4x8GB but for gaming, 4x8GB gives a very slight advantage, not sure if that will translate to gains for a mid range rig though. The rig is definitely more balanced now.

Ok I modified the setup AGAIN, hopefully for the last time.

#ComponentBrandItemAmount (₹)
1CPUAMDAMD Ryzen 5 5600X Desktop Processor 6 cores 12 Threads 35 MB Cache 3.7 GHz Upto 4.6 GHz AM4 Socket 5000 Series Chipset (100-100000065BOX)19,000
2Mother BoardASUSAsus TUF Gaming B550 PLUS WIFI AMD Motherboard14,500
3MemoryCorsairCorsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C18 AMD Optimized Memory – Black5373.75
4MemoryCorsairCorsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C18 AMD Optimized Memory – Black6400
5StorageADATAXPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 Solid State Drive5,250.00
6StorageWestern DigitalWD_BLACK 1TB SN750 SE NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, Up to 3,600 MB/s - WDS100T1B0E8,681.25
7Power SupplyASUSASUS ROG Strix 650W Gold Power Supply (ROG heatsinks, Axial-tech Fan Design, Dual-Ball Fan Bearings, 0dB Technology, 80 Plus Gold Certification, Fully Modular Cables, 10-Year Warranty)8,600
8CabinetCorsairCorsair Carbide Series 275R Airflow Tempered Glass Mid-Tower Gaming Case — Black7,640
TotalFully functional build75,445

So I ditched the 5700G for an open box unit of the 5600x and also added a 512GB nvme SSD on top of the existing 1TB (I have a lot of games!) and I'm just going to wait for the GPU prices to drop without having to postpone the build until then. I'll be getting a temporary GPU for now and get the RTX 3060 TI when the price drops sufficiently.

Is this looking better?

does the 5600x even have a GPU output? I doubt that. Do you have a spare low end GPU for the output?
It doesn't have a GPU output. I'll have to get a temporary GPU for it.

But it has better performance and has support for PCIe gen4 unlike the 5700G. So it should offer faster performance.

It doesn't have a GPU output. I'll have to get a temporary GPU for it.

But it has better performance and has support for PCIe gen4 unlike the 5700G. So it should offer faster performance.
If you need PC right away, then only go for AM4.
This is the end of road for AM4 socket. AMD has already introduced the newer socket.(AM5) to be available for second half of this year,
Get a temporary NUC and save money and get the new socket later this year,

If you need PC right away, then only go for AM4.
This is the end of road for AM4 socket. AMD has already introduced the newer socket.(AM5) to be available for second half of this year,
Get a temporary NUC and save money and get the new socket later this year,
This is sort of my temporary setup. I'll upgrade to AM5 but I might upgrade later next year because I'd want the prices of DDR5 RAM to stabilize.

Plus it's not like I'll have nothing to do with this one when I upgrade to AM5. I might still like this as a secondary machine or have my dad use it. So I don't mind getting a good setup.

I'll say 3060Ti at 45k isn't a bad deal, esp a model like Asus Dual. 3060Ti AIB models were starting at 38k earlier, so you will likely just save 5-7k by waiting for sometime.

Maybe get a 2TB HDD for mass storage instead of 512GB NVMe & later get another 1TB NVMe. You have just 2 NVMe slots on mobo, so use them wisely. I personally use 2x 1TB.

Back