Storage Solutions High capacity 3.5in SATA HDDs for NAS

avinandan012

Disciple
I am building a NAS. So looking for high capacity 3.5in SATA HDDs in the range of 12/14/16/18/20/22 TB.
Suggest from which sites or local shops( Hyderabad) I can get HDDs in reasonable pricing (approx less than ₹1900/TB).

Apart from NAS rated drives also okay with :
WD Purple Pro
WD Gold

Last edited:
For your budget, you will need to get USB HDDs and shuck them.

Go for the highest capacity you can get, very good chances its a enterprise drive.

For your budget, you will need to get USB HDDs and shuck them.

Go for the highest capacity you can get, very good chances its a enterprise drive.
Even usb hdd prices are increased now in last few months in line with global hdd price trend not to mention shucking means voiding warranty.

Even usb hdd prices are increased now in last few months in line with global hdd price trend not to mention shucking means voiding warranty.

Dang. Everywhere price increases.

Warranty - Not if carefully shucked. I dont do it, am using like ~100TB of USB HDDs with RPI4s, but a friend has done it carefully.

Warranty - Not if carefully shucked. I dont do it, am using like ~100TB of USB HDDs with RPI4s, but a friend has done it carefully.
Yes, shucking external drives are still cheaper. I had got one shucked drive replaced in warranty as well. The onus is on the service center to prove the shucking.

Dang. Everywhere price increases.

How many are you using?
Yes, shucking external drives are still cheaper. I had got one shucked drive replaced in warranty as well. The onus is on the service center to prove the shucking.
Higher capacity ones are almost similar price to enterprise drives

I am building a NAS. So looking for high capacity 3.5in SATA HDDs in the range of 12/14/16/18/20/22 TB.
Suggest from which sites or local shops( Hyderabad) I can get HDDs in reasonable pricing (approx less than ₹1900/TB).
Have you explored the options from PrimeABGB yet?
WD Ultrastar DC HC550 16 TB costs ₹25,599 which translates to ₹1600/TB

I had bought couple of them when on sale with card offers.
Would be helpful if you can share more info from where you've purchased and how much it costed at that time? Thanks!

Lots. Bought for NAS plus storage network building/learning/testing/etc - glusterfs/ceph/csv etc. All are being mainly run on RPI4s 4G and 8G and some 3s, I have some 10 of these.

As of now, around 56TB on 2x Pi4s. Remaining are coming online in a month or less.
Your external casing is working good, I already had a compatible 12v adaptor from an older case. The 5v adaptor is doing the job just fine for my led requirements.

Back