Help with service packs.

IdleWild

Disciple
Hi
Im using windows xp pro (2002 edition) without any service packs.Im thinking of downloading it from the net (p2p networks) but dont kn if to go for sp1 or sp 2?Also since i have the 2002 edition can i download the 2003 edition of teh service pack?

thanks

Service packs don't prejudice afaik ;) You can safely download the sp2 without bothering about the edition of your OS. Get sp2 since service packs are cumulative don't bother downloading sp1.

thanks Blade Runner!
Hey i cant download it from the microsoft site cos it says i have an authorised version of windows.
so its safe to dwonload thru BT?

IdleWild said:
thanks Blade Runner!
Hey i cant download it from the microsoft site cos it says i have an authorised version of windows.
so its safe to dwonload thru BT?

Are u really sure it doesn't let you download coz u have an authorized version of windows! :eek:hyeah: :p

BTW, its completely safe to d/l thru BT. Just scan the file after d/l'ing it with an anti-virus. :)

Another thing...... downloading SP2 through the net could be harmful..... it happened to me.... I had d/led abt 2 or 3% and then the power went and my comp got switched off. And it never started again. Turns out the display driver had got corruipted. Don't ask how. I had to reformat my HDD, reinstall XP and everything....

And at that time the computer guys who came home told me that it was a very common problem with SP2. You should not restart your comp when you are d/ling SP2. or something like that......

Best thing is to get an SP2 CD and install it from there...... It may cost you a little bit more bu t in the end will save you a lot of headache.....

Nikhil said:
Another thing...... downloading SP2 through the net could be harmful..... it happened to me.... I had d/led abt 2 or 3% and then the power went and my comp got switched off. And it never started again. Turns out the display driver had got corruipted. Don't ask how. I had to reformat my HDD, reinstall XP and everything....

And at that time the computer guys who came home told me that it was a very common problem with SP2. You should not restart your comp when you are d/ling SP2. or something like that......

Best thing is to get an SP2 CD and install it from there...... It may cost you a little bit more bu t in the end will save you a lot of headache.....
You are talking about auto update while idlewild is downloading the file thru p2p and then updating it

im not trying to scare u ..but since u appear to be unfamiliar with Service pack implimentations just wanna tell u that installing SP2 over an Existing install of XP does break many applications,norton & nero are the First to mention if ur using older than oct' 2004 versions.

It can break ur network if ur into one.
I'd really recommend u download sp2 from M$ site Strictly & then integrate/Slipstream it into ur XP setup & the have a Clean install of XPsp2. Also upgrade all ur common appz to the latst versions to suffice maximum compatibility. XP with sp2 is damn stable & fast with better memory management & security issues have been just Overhauled to a never before M$ standards......

just download & get ready with the SP2-- then u can google fro slip stream or just let ur know -- its an easy step..

mehargags said:
im not trying to scare u ..but since u appear to be unfamiliar with Service pack implimentations just wanna tell u that installing SP2 over an Existing install of XP does break many applications,norton & nero are the First to mention if ur using older than oct' 2004 versions.

It can break ur network if ur into one.
I'd really recommend u download sp2 from M$ site Strictly & then integrate/Slipstream it into ur XP setup & the have a Clean install of XPsp2. Also upgrade all ur common appz to the latst versions to suffice maximum compatibility. XP with sp2 is damn stable & fast with better memory management & security issues have been just Overhauled to a never before M$ standards......

just download & get ready with the SP2-- then u can google fro slip stream or just let ur know -- its an easy step..

Just becuase it didnt work for some doesnt mean that it wont work or break things when installed upon a existing install.I've installed it that way umpteen number of times for many.
Agreed there is nothing like a fresh installing coupling with a slipstreamed service pack & hot fix & other tweaks.Here is a article I thought would be best shared in this thread: The Darker Side of Service Pack 2

IdleWild,read the above article carefully & then proceed,if any doubts post here.
Btw the link you've posted doesnt seem to be the one you want since you already seem to have Windows XP.Just try getting the Service Pack 2 download which is if i'm not wrong is 273MB odd.

Back