Help with port forwarding Asus RT-N10 E

Dark Star

ex-Mod
Wanted to port forward the system so that I can control the pc using SSH/Remote torrent client + some mpd stuff.

I've got Asus RT-N10E with Sify BB at my disposal , the issue is when I try to enter my local IP provided by my ISP it didn't accept (not in the same pool, my ip starts from 10.x.x.x) the IP and the settings didnt get saved.

I tried asking my ISP but to no avail :(

Fmcrv.png

How am I suppose to port forward my router in order to make use of different android application to control my pc.

Regards

The local IP would be the IP of the computer for which you're forwarding the ports. The ISP has nothing to do with it. Since you're trying to forward ports to take remote access of your PC from outside the network, just put in the IP of your PC and the ports used by the application you're using. If you're accessing your PC from your phone locally, i.e., within the network, you don't need to forward any ports.

^^ Edrill - The local IP is not on the same IP of the router so I cannot add it, other than that I have asked the ISP and Asus Cc and they both are telling me to opt for public IP since my current IP is private.

I cannot even access the app even in the same network if the port is closed. !

Is there anything I can do , dont want to opt in for public IP will be costly no doubt.
@dinjo - Haven't used telnet much - please do explain a bit in detail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you explain your setup a bit more? What is the router's local IP? And what is the computer's IP? What Android application are you using to access your PC remotely?

My isp has provide me ip of range 10.35.cc.xx

My router access point/ip is default Asus ip 192.168.1.1

Now since they are two different ip I cannot add them as they are not on the same pool.

The app that I'm using is remote transmission for controlling transmission and several ssh client for managing my pc, transmission works on 9091 port, so for me to use it remotely it should be open.

I'm not much into networking so don't really understand much of the nitty gritties of it, so please do help me sort it.

Sent via Sony Xperia Sola using Tapatalk 2

^ If your ISP is giving you a 10.x.x.x IP, you cannot access it remotely from an external network, no amount of port forwarding on your router will help you. You have to go for a public IP.

For local access ie within your 192.168.1.x network, you do not need any sort of port forwarding.

Although it won't solve your problem, you are entering the wrong IPs when trying to forward the ports. Suppose you want to remotely access (provided you have a public IP) a service running on port 9000 on a local PC on your local network with IP address 192.168.1.15, you need to enter

Local IP : 192.168.1.15
Protocol : Leave it as BOTH if you are unsure.
Port Range : 9000-9000

You shouldn't enter your router's IP or the ISP provided IP in the "Local IP" field.

My isp has provide me ip of range 10.35.cc.xx

My router access point/ip is default Asus ip 192.168.1.1

Now since they are two different ip I cannot add them as they are not on the same pool.

The app that I'm using is remote transmission for controlling transmission and several ssh client for managing my pc, transmission works on 9091 port, so for me to use it remotely it should be open.

I'm not much into networking so don't really understand much of the nitty gritties of it, so please do help me sort it.

Sent via Sony Xperia Sola using Tapatalk 2

You will using remote connection to connect, please clarify whether you would be using it on local WiFi network of your router or from outside WiFi network also?

^ If your ISP is giving you a 10.x.x.x IP, you cannot access it remotely from an external network, no amount of port forwarding on your router will help you. You have to go for a public IP.

For local access ie within your 192.168.1.x network, you do not need any sort of port forwarding.

Although it won't solve your problem, you are entering the wrong IPs when trying to forward the ports. Suppose you want to remotely access (provided you have a public IP) a service running on port 9000 on a local PC on your local network with IP address 192.168.1.15, you need to enter

Local IP : 192.168.1.15
Protocol : Leave it as BOTH if you are unsure.
Port Range : 9000-9000

You shouldn't enter your router's IP or the ISP provided IP in the "Local IP" field.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, cleared everything. Now there are 2 issues.

1. Get a public IP so that I can access the pc from anywhere.

2. Getting the access to the pc from mobile when in the same local network through Wifi.

What setting should I enter to unlock the ports if I want to access the pc in the same network ?

@Dark Star You dont need to forward any port if you want to access within local network as mentioned by @Edrill
If you want to access your PC from outside of your Home network then you will need Public IP. Ask Sify to provide public IP. Once you get public IP then you can forward the Port to particular IP address of your LAN.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dark Star You dont need to forward any port if you want to access within local network as mentioned by Edrill
If you want to access your PC from outside of your Home network then you will need Public IP. Ask Sify to provide public IP. Once you get public IP then you can forward the Port to particular IP address of your LAN.

But its not working, even if I try to open the web client from my mobile (torrent web cient) it wont open, wonder what I am doing wrong.

Have even tried 8080 port but to no avail :(

Like you mentioned, Transmission uses port 9091 and SSH is 22, so why are you trying 8080?! The only thing that could be blocking local communication between your phone and PC would be a firewall on the PC. You can configure any firewall on the PC to allow connections from the cell phone. Or just disable it.

Back