[HELP] Windows 7: Blue Screen of Death

Hi,

Like i mentioned above in one of my replies, u need the compatability updates for the softwares that u might have installed on this system. It is nothing related to tempratures, or hdd or even any hardware for that matter.

TBH, I think it is bad sectors in your HDD which is giving you BSOD. Your HDD temperature is also a bit higher than ideal. Can you post screenshot of HD Tune's Health result for your hard-disk?

But first, you should try removing HDD, RAM and Graphics card and then reseat them, and try booting your system. It should fix your issue. Also you should take some measures to prevent overheating.

^ if you don't have anything to do other than diss Microsoft i suggest you not to post here. You're not helpfull to the op at all.

looking at everyone's replies here including mine, even i'm confused now. :ashamed:

instead of confusing the TS, i say people can work together and solve his problem. maybe someone more knowledgeable can view this thread and put up points to help op.

6pack said:
^ if you don't have anything to do other than diss Microsoft i suggest you not to post here. You're not helpfull to the op at all.

looking at everyone's replies here including mine, even i'm confused now. :ashamed:

instead of confusing the TS, i say people can work together and solve his problem. maybe someone more knowledgeable can view this thread and put up points to help op.
To be honest... I really agree with you.

I have got far too many opinions here. Equal number of people believe it is not hardware-related issue as the ones who say it is. I have received far too many conflicting suggestions and don't know what to do.

Please bear in mind that right now, my desktop doesn't remain stable for even a minute before giving me the BSOD. As soon as I start up the PC, I get a BSOD. So running any windows-based checkup or scan app, rolling back updates, performing new updates is out of the question right now. If you have any suggestions for checkup apps that work OUTSIDE Windows, then please list them. I used MemTest and it showed no error. Everything was proper.

I have posted the BSOD messages I got. I have posted the "Recovered from an Unexpected Error" dialog box I got. I have posted a zip file of a few of the minidump files I got. Won't these be enough for someone to gauge my problem properly and offer an solution?

Sorry if I seem thankless or too demanding but the truth is I'm just exhausted from this ordeal, and I've this nagging feeling that I've worsened things than how they were before.

Hey
for simple solutions try System restore to system scheduled check point,
then open command promt and try chkdsk /r command, and sfc /scannow,
and also try swapping the memory

kool said:
Hey
for simple solutions try System restore to system scheduled check point,
then open command promt and try chkdsk /r command, and sfc /scannow,
and also try swapping the memory

i too would suggest a system restore, if it is a non hardware related fault, it should go away. but i have a nasty feeling this is H/w realted.

if you have 2 RAM sticks, have you tried running it with just 1 RAM stick?

Here are the minidump files.

dunno if its my problem, but i can't see any link. can you takeout the hdd and copy the minidump to another machine and then upload it to a free sharing site? or if you've already done so please share the download link to that file. might as well give that a try.

edit: have you installed any hardware/software through network or usb? that bsod pic points to some device driver failing in your pc.

6pack said:
dunno if its my problem, but i can't see any link. can you takeout the hdd and copy the minidump to another machine and then upload it to a free sharing site? or if you've already done so please share the download link to that file. might as well give that a try.

edit: have you installed any hardware/software through network or usb? that bsod pic points to some device driver failing in your pc.

Oops! I am so so sorry! I forgot to attach the files :ashamed: Here they are, in this post.

Code:
http://www.multiupload.com/6E8OX8BN93

And I haven't installed any hardware. I have updated a few software (uTorrent etc.) but all those changes were made on my laptop too, and that hasn't shown ANY error so far.

Create a ticket with us and we will resolve it. The ticket will only cost you $259, and for after hours support its just $512. :D

On a serious note, do try booting into Safe Mode and the disable all 3rd patry apps and then try.

hellgate said:
Create a ticket with us and we will resolve it. The ticket will only cost you $259, and for after hours support its just $512. :D

On a serious note, do try booting into Safe Mode and the disable all 3rd patry apps and then try.

I tried booting with Safe Mode. When it had loaded all the files and the Welcome screen had come up with message "Please wait", I got a BSOD and the "atapi.sys" file was mentioned in the message. Can you make anything of that?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I got another BSOD, this time with the message "ataport.sys".

Can anyone confirm if this is not a hardware related issue? If it can be solved by reinstallation of Windows, then I think I'll do just that.

99% chances are that re-install after repartitioning the HDD will resolve the issue.

from the looks of it, it seems that the storage controller drivers & system files have gone kaput. U can try replacing them by connecting the drive to another computer.

lazygarfield said:
I tried booting with Safe Mode. When it had loaded all the files and the Welcome screen had come up with message "Please wait", I got a BSOD and the "atapi.sys" file was mentioned in the message. Can you make anything of that?

Can anyone confirm if this is not a hardware related issue? If it can be solved by reinstallation of Windows, then I think I'll do just that.
Now It's 100% HDD issue....

If you can't boot into this system, Try getting the HDD into some other PC ... If that is also not possible then except formatting I don't see any option...

I put in my DVD of Windows 7, selected the option "System Recovery Options" > "Command Prompt" and in that I entered the drive which contains my Windows files. I typed "chkdsk /F" and it checked the entire drive but showed no errors or bad sectors.

I'll try the Drive Fitness Test tool today after 5 hours, but does the above result mean that the problem is not with my HD failing but in fact my Windows being bad? Should I just format my C drive and reinstall Windows?

lazygarfield said:

AFAIK, its a hardware related issue. Try switching out the graphics card, HDD, RAM if you have a spare one laying around, and see if that gives you any results.

Nevertheless, you can also try re-installing your Windows if the above method proves futile.

hellgate said:
ur hdd sud be ok. its the system files which are related with the storage controller are corrupt.
+1 to that ....

It's happening very commonly with windows 7, but there is no concrete fix / solution available as message that comes after such errors are hardly related to Storage controllers..

@op, reinstall windows and update all drivers to latest version through windows update. Check optional updates where you will find these updates listed.

I ran the Drive Fitness Tool. Performed a Full Scan on my Primary HD (the one with Windows) and a Quick Scan on my Secondary HD. It completed successfully in both cases and showed no errors. I am taking this to mean there are no errors in my Hard Disks?

I will just format my C Drive, reinstall Windows and see how it goes.

Just one question, In this new installation, should I update Drivers using Windows update or via the manufacturer's website?

lazygarfield said:
I ran the Drive Fitness Tool. Performed a Full Scan on my Primary HD (the one with Windows) and a Quick Scan on my Secondary HD. It completed successfully in both cases and showed no errors. I am taking this to mean there are no errors in my Hard Disks?

I will just format my C Drive, reinstall Windows and see how it goes.

Just one question, In this new installation, should I update Drivers using Windows update or via the manufacturer's website?

Hard disk is fine for sure...

Actually what happens is becuase of several reason if Windows 7 detect a lot of HDD faults, it demote DMA Mode one level down and it keep doing that until it finds faults within a limit...

This may happen because of faulty cable, loose connection or just faulty MObo..

Please try this-- Disconnect HDD cables then reset your Bios setting without HDD connected...

After that connect only primary HDD and boot and wait for sometime, if you still see BSOD, then go ahead and format...

But before formatting try this, this might save you from pain of formatting...

Back