Need help to decide upon mobo. I need the following things in the motherboard

USB 3.0
4 DDR3 RAM slots
5.1 Audio channel output
HDMI
Atleast 4 SATA ports
Preferablly 1 PS/2 port and adjacent USB

Budget would be max upto 7.5k
I am considering Gigabyte but they have 89 mobo in Socket1155 :(( Also I don't have any idea about the chipsets. Though i was targeting H67 or P67.

Please let me know what are my options!

Well, if you havn't bought your configuration yet, here's my rig suggestion:

Core i5 2400 @ 9.3k
Gigabyte GA-H67MA-UD2H @ 7.5k
NZXT Gamma @ 2k
FSP Saga II 500W @ 2k
Seagate 1TB @ 2.7k
Corsair Vengeance 4GB @ 2k

Total = 25.5k

I have suggested a H67 motherboard. Why?
- Since your processor isn't a "k" series, you cant overclock much even with a P67 mobo
- H67 mobo can utilize Intel Quick Sync, say hello to ULTRA FAST VIDEO ENCODING!

@Emperor, multi Thanks buddy. But I think I will stick to gigabyte.

@comp@ddict So if the mobo supports 1333mhz then the RAM with higher speeds run at 1333mhz max without any problem? All the mobo with H67 support max upto 1333mhz

vinayakbendale said:
@Emperor, multi Thanks buddy. But I think I will stick to gigabyte.

No problem after all it's your choice, I too looking for good mobo to build new i5 system, if you wish please suggest me what makes you to select Gigabyte? (other than very good warranty support)

Emperor said:
No problem after all it's your choice, I too looking for good mobo to build new i5 system, if you wish please suggest me what makes you to select Gigabyte? (other than very good warranty support)

Well the after sales is good add to that a good motherboard lay-out as well as better heat-sinks and connectors you have a win-win deal.

For e.g. --

Intel P55 board from extreme series -- Intel® Desktop Board DP55KG - Overview -- on an ATX platform, the south silicon estate is literally being wasted by Intel, this was a P 55 board with no support for USB 3.0 OR SATA III (still more expensive compared to AMD 785G boards which had both these features) as well as electrolytic capacitors have been used which have a tendency to POP under high-temperatures. Heat sinks are also bare minimum needed, decent for a home-user not a gamer or a power user, check out pic here -- http://www.intel.com/Assets/Image/prodlarge/DP55KG_lg.jpg

To compare GA-P55-UD3R -- GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1156 - GA-P55A-UD3P (rev. 2.0) -- notice motherboard has been again built on ATX form factor all valid connectors are present, all solid state (metal) capacitors and better heat-sink(s) + better power phase design basically more suited for over-clocking and high-temperature environments .

I hope this was helpful and not bothersome to read.

Thanks for the info :)

@Multi I was just thanking you.

Well I gave a call to Primeabgb and they were like you tell us the product name and we will let you know if it is available. And if you want someone else which is not listed on our site we will see if we can get it. I was like there are frigging 89 mobo how am I to know which one fits in budget and which you will be able to get?

So I have decided to get there tomorrow and see the mobos by myself and decide. For now Gigabyte GA-H67MA-UD2H is the most likely. Also i compared on the official site and found these are the differences in P67 and H67

1. P67 doesn't have onboard VGA whereas H67 has.

2. P6 supports RAM speeds till 2133mhz whereas H67 supports till 1333mhz.

Can anyone post a link where I can read about all these chipsets as it is I got lotsa leisure time since vacations are going on.

^^ Here you go sire --

List of Intel chipsets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CPU Processor Comparison – Intel Core i7 vs. i5 vs. i3

There are several more differences between the Intel P67 / H67 / Z68 such as --

--> P67 is purely based for power-users and over-clocking enthusiast section of the market, it can over-clock all k-marked processors.

--> the Z68 is a compromise chipset which brings in the strength of H67 (Quick-Sync, on-die IGP support) and combines it with the Intel P67 (RAM speeds upto 1866 MHz, over-clocking k-marked chips) and also brings in other vaunted features of its own such as TRIM support (very useful in SSD's), Intel SRT support.

--> as such in performance P67 leads the back snapping at its heels is the Z68 and for the average gamer with stability in mind the H67 rounds of the Intel High-end -- Mainstream market.

** The Intel H-61 is rather a very lame Intel chipset with a crippled feature set (in my view) that is only useful for office users. Better to go AMD 880G + Athlon IIx2 / x3 / x4 way rather than Intel Core i3 2100 + H61.

For more interesting reads, also comes added with Virtu technology --

AnandTech - Intel Z68 Chipset & Smart Response Technology (SSD Caching) Review

TRIM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-z68-express-smart-response-technology-ssd-caching,2938-9.html

Hope this helps.

Thanks man. That will keep me busy for couple of days :) Well I am helping my friend with his rig. He not much into gaming and stuff. But doesn't want to spend in next 3-4 years hence the need. Will post what I will buy tomorrow :) Hope to find all the components tomorrow itself. Don't want another ride to lammy now and again :/

Finally bought the following from Primeabgb except mobo and processor. There is a shortage of Gigabyte H67 and P67 chipset mobos. Luckily got this one from some shop. The shortage is from distributors and will atleast take a week and a half to satisfy it. I say prebook one :p

Intel i5 2400 quadcore 3.1Ghz Rs.9500
Gigabyte GA-H67A-D3H-B3 Rs.8500
Corsair Vengeance 4Gb 1600Mhz Rs.2250
FSP Saga 2 500W Rs.2400
Seagate 1tb Barracudda 7200rpm Rs.2850
Asus Dvd writer 24x Rs.1050
Benq LED monitor G2222 Rs.8200
Altec Lansing VS2621 Rs.1600
Nzxt Gamma Rs.2000
Basic keyboard+mouse Microsoft Rs.650

Well some of the prices are negotiable if you buy from some other shop.
Just a minor thing. I am facing "Loading operating system" error for window7 64bit. Will google and read forums and get it solved :)

Back