Help please...Resurrecting an old pal :P

mandeep

Disciple
Ok i just discovered that my Desktop that had been lying unused for about 2years now, is totally useless. So i just want to upgrade it...or more like buy a new rig and retain some of the extra accesories i bought with old PC.

Q: What is your budget?

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

CPU - Intel P4 HT+ (Yes its really old! The one before dualcore came out)

Motherboard - Factory original LG mobo

RAM - Dynet 1gb ddr1 ram

Monitor - Samsung 20" LCD (Gaming for ps3 :p)

SMPS - mini smps by iball

DVD : Sony R/W

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

Monitor - Samsung 20" LCD

DVD R/W - Sony [IDE :( ... just read that the new mobos for i3 have only sata ports...this is a f*cking new DVD drive. Bought it a few weeks back thinking i'll start the pc up]

Smps

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy. If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

CPU - Intel i3

Motherboard - any compatible motherboard

GPU - ??? (Has to fit in budget otherwise not really need pc for gaming)

Ram - 2GB DDR3

HDD 500GB

Cabinet - Any suggestions welcome

Amkette Wimax multimedia keyboard + Scrollpad (Already bought it using with the ps3)

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

Yup Final.

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

Mumbai........Dealer.

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

Yes (Especially the hdd..if possible would like to extend to 1 or 2TB)

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

(In order of priority)

Desktop Processing (mainly PhotoShop)

Browsing (Have 2 laptops for that)

Gaming (Not really ...have a xbox as well as a ps3)

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

I would prefer Intel....not biased but just never used any other processor.

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

Age of Mythology.

HalfLife2

Racing - Grid at medium to high setting
s

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

Desktop - 1440x900

Q: Are you looking to overclock?

Nope

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

Windows 7 Pro 32bit

Note: This is to be used as a backup because my sister needs to use this for Photoshopping and browsing when the laptop is unavailable or is under repair..not a primary source for any browsing or gaming, thus the relatively small budget...but nonetheless want to start it up so can extend the budget a little if need be. Thank you for looking.

It would be better If you would choose the amd platform this time around because i think the 8xx series motherboard still has one IDE port to connect two of such drives.
And also the fact that you will not be adding an discrete graphic card, it makes sense to go for a better igp in the amd.
P.S just guessing because earlier i had read in reviews that the i3 is not yet vfm compared to the similarly priced amd processors.

AthlonII X4 640 ~ 4.6k
Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H ~ 4.1k
1TB Seagate 7200.12 ~ 2.8k (Suddenly 500GB drive prices has soared to ~2k from ~1.7k in the last week :S)
4GB(2*2) Corsair Value 1333MHz DDR3 RAM ~ 2.1k
CM Elite 310 ~ 1.6k

If possible get a new PSU like the FSP SAGAII 350w ~ 1.5k or Gigabyte Superb 460 ~ 2k. Not really advisable to use a PSU that came with a IBall Cabinet!
In case you have a tight budget then you can skimp on the Processor and get a AthlonII X3 440 ~ 3.3k or Mobo and get a Asus M4A78LT-M LE ~ 2.6k and invest this on the PSU.

harishgayatri said:
The Title of the thread means something else.

But I you are interested in getting the P4 running super smooth then I can help you out.

Ya mate...but the problem is my PSU is screwed.....Mobo isn't working....and gotta buy a new ram too.

Now the cost of all the three comes to around (700+ 2000+ 1000)~4K

So why not just spend a little more to get thing up and running faster than ever.
ggt said:
It would be better If you would choose the amd platform this time around because i think the 8xx series motherboard still has one IDE port to connect two of such drives.

And also the fact that you will not be adding an discrete graphic card, it makes sense to go for a better igp in the amd.

P.S just guessing because earlier i had read in reviews that the i3 is not yet vfm compared to the similarly priced amd processors.
Ya i am open to amd...i'll look into the details.

DarkAngel said:
AthlonII X4 640 ~ 4.6k

Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H ~ 4.1k

1TB Seagate 7200.12 ~ 2.8k (Suddenly 500GB drive prices has soared to ~2k from ~1.7k in the last week :S)

4GB(2*2) Corsair Value 1333MHz DDR3 RAM ~ 2.1k

CM Elite 310 ~ 1.6k

If possible get a new PSU like the FSP SAGAII 350w ~ 1.5k or Gigabyte Superb 460 ~ 2k. Not really advisable to use a PSU that came with a IBall Cabinet!

In case you have a tight budget then you can skimp on the Processor and get a AthlonII X3 440 ~ 3.3k or Mobo and get a Asus M4A78LT-M LE ~ 2.6k and invest this on the PSU.
Thanks for the quote..i spoke to an engineer at Lammy and this is the config he's giving me:

Type Model Price Qty.

Motherboard + Processor Intel DH 55TC org mobo + Intel i3 540 Rs. 10500 x1

PC Chassis Zebronics Bijli Rs. 1100 x1

Ram Kingston DDR3 [2GB] Rs. 1300 x2

Internal Storage [500 GB SATA HDD (Seagate)] Rs. 2300 x1

Total Rs. 16,500

Now this becomes a bit too expensive...i wanna cut down the cost..I think the ram he is providing is too costly as well as the hdd...whereas the processor + Mobo Combo is excellent...please enlighten me if i am wrong.

As said earlier get a quote for amd else buy it from a store at lamington and assemble the system yourself.
The i3 is not worth it imho.
If you want to spend some extra try going for the phenom 2 X2 560 processor.

Back