[Help] Networking Belkin wireless G router with Laptop and PC

bodmas

Adept
Friends,
I am using Belkin wireless G router for Tata indicom Wimax broadband connection. Internet is running absolutly fine with Desktop and laptop.
Q: Is it possible to network Laptop with desktop while internet connection is working. I mean if i change ip address to network both then the internet will not work. I am using laptop with wifi and desktop with RJ45 cable.
Thanks.

ur wifi router has a local access ip...mostly 192.168.0.1 or whatever it is. Assign your desktop a static ip of 192.168.0.2 and laptop 192.168.0.3 or in the same series as ur wifi router. then u are good to go , even when internet is on you will be able to access all the shares on either.

Hi TTM,

What IPs should i assign to TCP/IP settings as my router ip address is 192.168.2.1. Please guide me briefly as i am new to networking.

Desktop:

IP address:

Subnet mask:

default gateway:

And for laptop

IP address:

Subnet mask:

Default gateway:

Easy way out enable DHCP server in the wifi router and set the IP address range and you are done.
Leave your desktop and notebook on auto config for the IP.

DHCP server is already enabled and What IPs should i assign to TCP/IP settings as my router ip address is 192.168.2.1. Please guide me briefly as i am new to networking.

Desktop:

IP address:

Subnet mask:

default gateway:

And for laptop

IP address:

Subnet mask:

Default gateway:

Go to command prompt on both the system and type the following
ipconfig
and paste the output here....
Note :- Run the command while both the machines are connected to the router.

Friends,
I have assigned following IPs and here are the results:
Desktop:
IP address: 192.168.2.3
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: 192.168.2.1

And for laptop
IP address: 192.168.2.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.2.1

Following is the result:
1) After assigning IP to laptop, we are getting the following result:

Concluion: No internet is working but laptop is able to ping desktop.

2) After assigning IP to desktop, following are the result:

Conclusion: Desktop is unable to connect with internet as well as laptop.

Friends, Please help me and assist me correctly.

since u mentioned that the desktop is connected over cable , with the above setup are u able to connect to internet from the desktop ?

and is this the way ur setup is...( as an ideal scenario )

modem ----> wireless router ---->
1) to laptop (wireless)
2) to desktop (wired)

No reason for manually assigning ip manually to both the system when you have a Mini DHCP server...

The reason why internet is not working is you are missing DNS ip in you manual settings
in the DNS fields under TCP/IP properties [hope you know where it is located] you can put the following:-

Primary DNS:- 172.31.6.5
Secondary DNS:- 172.31.6.85

Without DNS, to access google you will have to use its ip 74.125.45.100

Just set the ip config to auto, do an ipconfig to find out the ip of both the system and start networking.....

Hope that helps

Andrew! My friend,

As you told to assign DNS manually, it works. Internet is running on both desktop and laptop. But there is a new issue now. Laptop is able to connect desktop i.e. 192.168.2.3 but Desktop is unable to connect laptop i.e. 192.168.2.2

Following is network scenerio;

Wireless router----RJ45 cable----> Desktop

|

|

|______Wifi_______> Laptop

Yes! With tons of hardwork and patience, I have atlast made a connection between two computers.

The only culprit was the Firewall of my Laptop i.e. My desktop was unable to connect to my laptop. What settings should i assign to my laptop windows firewall to connect with th desktop. Any kind of inbound/ Outboud Ip?

@bodmas : great job there, default windows firewall is crappy, get something decent. I recommend PC Tools Firewall Plus Free Edition - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com , does the job gr8! and lite on the system as well......u can try comodo and zonealarm too, however with my latest venture with PC Tools Firewall Plus, it has been working on my laptop from quite sometime with very good performance and excellent (read: very low) real time memory hogging too. and switch the windows firewall to off.

@Bodmas great job, 90% of the time its always the firewall which drops your connection..

What OS are you using, if Windows Vista or 7, this OS are Network Aware.

Means if you set firewall rules for specific network and open few ports in that network, and later when you go to some other network with your lappy those ports won't be open for this network...

You can explicitly create a firewall rule for the data flow between you lappy and desktop and open all ports for the same.... You will need to create a new rule using Advanced Firewall settings to achieve this..

You go through the following TechNet article for better understanding

Windows Firewall with Advanced Security Getting Started Guide

Back