Help needed regarding engg college in banglore(urgent)

Happy Singh

Adept
Sep 9, 2008
Hi TE,

Its really urgent for me so please post as soon as possible and as much information you know.

So i am going to do Mechanical Engg. from Bangalore.

College i have selected

1.Dayananda Sagar Institute. (around 13 or 14th rank)

2.BIT(Bangalore Institute of Technology) (around 4-5 rank)

So now you guys suggest.

I consult few ppl they says- both the colleges are good just the ranking difference. they both have 100% placement, ya infrastructure vies dayananda is good than BIT but really guys i don't have anything to do with infrastructure, just need the proper studies and a well know reputation :) ppl also said that these both are reputed colleges and if i do engg from any of these it won't make difference in placement just some package difference will be their, to be very honest i really don't have much knowledge about these things, and i think BIT is full for meh.engg (but after councilling their can be a chance), just guys post your views, those who have studied in any of these colleges or are studying. i need suggestions from TE. hope i will get good response.

pretttt

Skilled
May 14, 2009
Bangalore
Hey, I did my BE in BIT. Not Mech though, I did in Instru. Well, my take is that BIT is decent, not great, but just about ok. Only good thing is placement. Well, most of the placements are to the IT companies. Is that what you want? There were a few Mech companies also. BUT, this was during my time and that was 4-5 years ago. There would've been lot of changes by now. No idea how it is now.

Happy Singh

Adept
Sep 9, 2008
pretttt said:
Hey, I did my BE in BIT. Not Mech though, I did in Instru. Well, my take is that BIT is decent, not great, but just about ok. Only good thing is placement. Well, most of the placements are to the IT companies. Is that what you want? There were a few Mech companies also. BUT, this was during my time and that was 4-5 years ago. There would've been lot of changes by now. No idea how it is now.
Ok really thanks for replaying...and ya time has changed in last 4-5 year, now in today's time their is much demands for Mechanical Engg. ( i have heard,checked and talk to many consultant) last year it was of CS and about placements ppl says is 100% (asked some current student) especially in Bangalore, just their is some difference in package,

but still i want views from TE, some ppl also says that name of BIT is not known to most ppl but Dayananda Sager is well know to most ppl, guys i m getting little confused so please post something, and ya i hope here on TE their is many members from BIT and Dayananda so please help me......

Metalspree

Skilled
Mar 1, 2006
Bangalore
It is the other round Kippu ,Dayanand sagar has a track record for being a crappy college from starting ,reason the infrastructure sucks so does the crowd,education standards is not upto the mark

adi_vastava

Code Game Code F**K
Adept
Feb 23, 2010
Now Now, please stick to the topic and reply to OP. No need of frustration and start a a vs B thread. Poor chap trying to decide between two college. If half of janta screws first and another half screws secind what is left??

So if you have any thing specific in positive or negative about the college in which you *did* studied, please share and help him

I hope you understand. :)

Metalspree

Skilled
Mar 1, 2006
Bangalore
BIT is being good from long time ,a couple of my friends did their B.E from there .OP if you can join Nitte or MVIT that would be even better so is Ramaiah.

Happy Singh

Adept
Sep 9, 2008
kippu said:
dayanand sagar is great , BIT is crap!

In what sense BIT is crap and dayanand sagar is great? are u studying their or studied?
adi_vastava said:
Now Now, please stick to the topic and reply to OP. No need of frustration and start a a vs B thread. Poor chap trying to decide between two college. If half of janta screws first and another half screws secind what is left??

So if you have any thing specific in positive or negative about the college in which you *did* studied, please share and help him

I hope you understand. :)

really thanks for the post.

Metalspree said:
BIT is being good from long time ,a couple of my friends did their B.E from there .OP if you can join Nitte or MVIT that would be even better so is Ramaiah.

Ya have heard BIT is good from long time, and can't go in MVIT its late i think but still will try.

@TE other guys--please don't confuse or scare me....and is dayanad sagar really bad?

Happy Singh

Adept
Sep 9, 2008
Metalspree said:
If you have option to BIT please go ahead if no choice then Dayanad Sagar
Hmmm......but its really frustrating now:( its not 100% sure that i will get in BIT but only option was left was Dayanand sagar....i thought in dayanand sagar there are many NRI students and is also well known but only because of my delay now i am stuck :( don't know what to say....:(

pretttt

Skilled
May 14, 2009
Bangalore
Well, dont want to get into to fights but in my view both BIT and Dayanand are just passable. If you could pick absolutely ANY college in Bangalore, pick RV (obvious, I know).

About placements for Mech students, dont go by what those so-called "consultants" say. Instead, speak to some final year students from the college. They would give the accurate picture. You'll find them in the Mech Block. It is not part of the main building.

Atleast in BIT, you can go to the Placement Cell and they have(atleast, used to back then) the list of ALL companies that showed up this year and the number of students placed in each of them. Just go and have a look at it. See how many Mech companies actually showed. Placement Cell used to be on the 2nd floor back then (Floor above the Princi's office).

Anyways, good luck!

One more thing, the best thing about BIT according to me was that it was within city limits and in a central location. If you stay in hostel, that shouldnt matter. But, since I'm a resident, I used to absolutely love the fact that I could take my bike and be in college in under 15 mins. And its closer to theatres too. Like that even BMS is within city limits. Most other colleges are minimum 1hr bus ride.

Happy Singh

Adept
Sep 9, 2008
Metalspree said:
What are the other colleges available for you as of now .

For now only Dayanand Sagar and BIT(not 100% sure) for MVIT will confirm on Monday or Tuesday sure and let you guys know.

pretttt said:
Well, dont want to get into to fights but in my view both BIT and Dayanand are just passable. If you could pick absolutely ANY college in Bangalore, pick RV (obvious, I know).

About placements for Mech students, dont go by what those so-called "consultants" say. Instead, speak to some final year students from the college. They would give the accurate picture. You'll find them in the Mech Block. It is not part of the main building.

Atleast in BIT, you can go to the Placement Cell and they have(atleast, used to back then) the list of ALL companies that showed up this year and the number of students placed in each of them. Just go and have a look at it. See how many Mech companies actually showed. Placement Cell used to be on the 2nd floor back then (Floor above the Princi's office).

Anyways, good luck!

One more thing, the best thing about BIT according to me was that it was within city limits and in a central location. If you stay in hostel, that shouldnt matter. But, since I'm a resident, I used to absolutely love the fact that I could take my bike and be in college in under 15 mins. And its closer to theatres too. Like that even BMS is within city limits. Most other colleges are minimum 1hr bus ride.
Thanks for such nice post and will follow as you said and will update here.

eggman

Adept
Dec 4, 2007
This is coming from an unfortunate fellow who had studied in Dayanada Sagar for 4 years(IS)......Please do your self a favor and avoid this college! BIT is much better than DSI can ever be! Except those beautiful buildings, DSI has nothing more to offer. The problem with DSI is that it is running a business out of its college,so as long as it gets money(thanks to attractive buildings) it doesn't care about placement or educational standard. At least BIT has a (much)better placement record than DSI !

rajeshjsl

Adept
Jun 24, 2005
I am from dayananda sagar 2nd year cse , my brother too from dayananda sagar graduated this year . Me from north india .

All i want to say is that dsi has an enjoyable college life because of the hotties and tension free studies , best infra . But in placement certainly bit is slightly better but neither is dsi behind . If you can get bit , go for it . Then go for dsi . According to my bro , this year placement was good but that only ranging from 3 to 5 lakhs . About mech , my bangalorean friend tells that dsi has good mech branch , he didnt got mech so chose cs .

About studies , in my experience you will have to study mostly by urself either u r in dsi or bit , but bit certainly has slightly supportive teachers . And yes dsi is money hungry clg , dont know abt bit . Like if u get shortage in attendance they will ask for money . In dsi attendance has very importance . If u r absent be prepared to die .

All in all according to me dsi has better clg life , less supportive teachers but bit has also good clg life but more supportive teachers .
Our mech branch is said best by my bangalorean seniors and friends then cs ece and IS .

The decision is urs . Dsi is ok in studies but great in masti , ask abt this from bit fellows .

But mostly in bangalore studies in all the clges are same except rv and pesit , bms slighly . Rest are same .
U can ask me more but i am leaving india today for hong kong and will come on 20th .

Happy Singh

Adept
Sep 9, 2008
eggman said:
This is coming from an unfortunate fellow who had studied in Dayanada Sagar for 4 years(IS)......Please do your self a favor and avoid this college! BIT is much better than DSI can ever be! Except those beautiful buildings, DSI has nothing more to offer. The problem with DSI is that it is running a business out of its college,so as long as it gets money(thanks to attractive buildings) it doesn't care about placement or educational standard. At least BIT has a (much)better placement record than DSI !

Hmmmm...Thanks for post, point noted, and don't say like this mate that "DSI is running a business out of college" this makes me more tensed :( but you guys should also not hide anything, weather its good or bad.
rajeshjsl said:
I am from dayananda sagar 2nd year cse , my brother too from dayananda sagar graduated this year . Me from north india .

All i want to say is that dsi has an enjoyable college life because of the hotties and tension free studies , best infra . But in placement certainly bit is slightly better but neither is dsi behind . If you can get bit , go for it . Then go for dsi . According to my bro , this year placement was good but that only ranging from 3 to 5 lakhs . About mech , my bangalorean friend tells that dsi has good mech branch , he didnt got mech so chose cs .

About studies , in my experience you will have to study mostly by urself either u r in dsi or bit , but bit certainly has slightly supportive teachers . And yes dsi is money hungry clg , dont know abt bit . Like if u get shortage in attendance they will ask for money . In dsi attendance has very importance . If u r absent be prepared to die .

All in all according to me dsi has better clg life , less supportive teachers but bit has also good clg life but more supportive teachers .

Our mech branch is said best by my bangalorean seniors and friends then cs ece and IS .

The decision is urs . Dsi is ok in studies but great in masti , ask abt this from bit fellows .

But mostly in bangalore studies in all the clges are same except rv and pesit , bms slighly . Rest are same .

U can ask me more but i am leaving india today for hong kong and will come on 20th .
Ya Mates the things you mentioned and said are really true, me also hearing from last few days about DSI , studies is ok but masti is more, ya true ppl choose DSI if BIT or MVIT is not avaiblae for them, also its 100% true that "mostly in Bangalore studies in all the colleges are same except RV and pesit , bms slighly . Rest are same" thanks for the help will surely ask you if i got any other query to ask.

@TE guys one important thing heard about Dayanand Sagar is that there are 150-160 Colleges in Bangalore or may be more and only in 3-4 selected colleges MICROSOFT COMES for placement and Dayanand Sagar is one of those whoooo this is not a small thing guys, Microsoft is not a joke, but ya they only take only 2-3 students but still guys its Microsoft, and i think Microsoft can't be called by showing money. Microsoft is a damn high and reputated company, this we all know Computer guru. so now say, though Microsoft is not have anything to do with Mech.Engg but still guys, and about MVIT will update you all (esp those who suggested MVIT) by today night.