Graphic Cards Help Needed Graphic Card running @ x8 mode on a PCIe 16x !!

ChessMaster

Disciple
Please help me, its been few days now since I started getting Blue Screen Error, before the error the screen goes black and returns and I can see a small pop up in System tray saying graphic card driver crashed and recovered, then again after some time the screen goes blank and returns at BSOD.

I noticed one thing that the graphic card is now running at x8 mode, where as earlier it was running at x16mode (checked using AID64 and GPUz). Could this be the issue that is causing the problem ?

Please help me, expert advice needed. My Pc config is there in my signature. This problem is there even when PC is not overclocked.

Thankyou.

As Shahbaaaz has pointe dout you may have ut your GPU in the wrong slot & bing in the wrong slot can cause many problems. Try putting your GPU in other slot.

Please help me, its been few days now since I started getting Blue Screen Error, before the error the screen goes black and returns and I can see a small pop up in System tray saying graphic card driver crashed and recovered, then again after some time the screen goes blank and returns at BSOD.

I noticed one thing that the graphic card is now running at x8 mode, where as earlier it was running at x16mode (checked using AID64 and GPUz). Could this be the issue that is causing the problem ?

Please help me, expert advice needed. My Pc config is there in my signature. This problem is there even when PC is not overclocked.

Thankyou.

ASUS motherboards with multiple GPU support usually have a reverse orientation of placing the graphics card, the top PCI-e slot operates @x8 capacity and must be closed of with a daughter card provided with the motherboard in-case you are using just one card, so if that is the case see into placing the graphics card and read the motherboard manual to confirm this case [even if you have no daughter card].

It was like this for my friends M4A89GTD-V PRO motherboard, the HD 4670 which he had was plugged into the top PCI-e slot the system won't boot up OR recognize that card and after reading his manual thoroughly we realized out mistake, so just check it up Sire might help. Cheers!!

My Mobo is Sabertooth 990FX. There is no such thing as reverse orientation placing on my mobo (it was there on my older M489GTD pro/usb3), on this i can run quad sli/crossfire, for crosfire or sli (single) the speed is 16x 16x for both cards (990fx), I think the first pci-e slot 16x has got problem due to overclocking the graphic card. Everthing is fine when i install GFX on second 16x slot ( i know pretty much which one is the right slot). When i install on first slot initially it is running at 16x mode but after installing the drivers it is running at 8x mode (very strange). This slot is supposed to run in 16x even when in Crossfire so I don't get it. Not thinking or RMA cause currently System is running very smooth and I may get a 7000series GFX rather than crossfire.

I had a similar problem a long time back, where my x16 card would constantly end up running at x4 or x8 on the motherboard. The problem was indeed with the slot chip, which eventually did give up on me.

An easy way to test this is to borrow another x16 card from somebody and see if it gets recognized at x16 on the slot.

I would suggest RMA unless you have a good reason to not take that path.

I doubt the card running at x8 mode is the the reason for BSOD . Even in gtx580 performance hit is just 3-5% running at x8 mode . Even I am running card x16 @1.1 which provides same bandwidth as x8 @ 2.0 with no problems .

But I also suspect you have placed card in wrong slot . Try reading manual .

If it dosen't help , another suggestion running a game at windowed mode and then running GPU Z in background , and monitor .

Because mobos automatically reduces band width while in 2D mode .

For BSODs , you can monitor and check temps as these are the signs of thermal throttling

Back