Help! My PC has slowed down considerably.

arindam88

Disciple
I am having a P-4 machine with 128MB RAM at home. I use Windows XP SP2 as OS. I use the machine primarily for general computing and internat (no gaming). I know that 128 MB RAM is not sufficient to run XP, but the performance was sluggish but OK. My Anvtivirus (Norton 2005) has gone out of date. So I installed eTrust of CA yesterday evening. After that the machine has slowed down so much that an application or file opens 10-15 mins after I click it. I tried to remove the eTrust AV from the Add/ Remove option in control panel but was unable to do so. Please Help.:huh:

Try uninstalling it by softewares such as crap cleaner or regcleaner ...

i wud suggest regcleaner ...

and get a 512mb stick man they are fathe cheap nowadays even if

u aint using ur pc for gaming .... its good and good for ya ;)

ooo ooo backup ur registry first b4 trying out new stunts ....

Also dont run any useless programs in the background like messengers, download managers and other apps if ur not using them.

hmm get more RAM... tough to manage any antivirus with 128 mb ... go to msconfig and disable all useless applications from booting ... must help a bit

Apart from the above mentioned things.

1. Uninstall Norton anitvirus...it requires a lot of system resources.
2. Get AVG Anti Virus (It uses less amt of system resources compared to Norton and its good and best of all, its free) AVG Anti Virus: HOME
3. Clear all temporary internet files from your HDD.
4. Defragment your HDD.
5. If possible get more RAM.
6. Run Adaware SE scan to detect if its some spyware which is causing your system to slow down as much as you say it has.
7. If you are comfortable in editing the startup programs, edit those which you dont think you need.
8. Also, if your HDD is out of space...meaning if its full, then too your comp will become slower as mentioned above.

The best solution i would recommend is:
Get more RAM after cleaning up your HDD. Which is a combo of all of the above:p

Hmm for lower system resources, NOD or Kaspersky should do well.

But best is dont use IE, use FF or Opera and never open suspected email attachments, infact never open email attachments if not using gmail or yahoo. If you are using any e-mail client stop it, and use webmail services are not only more efficient but chances of getting virus are also reduced significantly.

Run adaware programmes regularly with above mentioned precautions and you wont require the need for AV's at all.

Nod32 would be the best antivirus option for a slower computer

as it eats up the minimal resouces ....

Avoid firefox also coz it mite be a little heavy on slower machine ... to browse you can also get MYIE ... its a version of internet explorer on operas engine ...

which is also easier on the machine ...

sweet .... didnt know about that .... shud get MYIE2

does turning off system restore also help ... coz since i have done that

my comp's bcum a tad faster .... but i m not sure !!

my pc too Slowed down. i have 2.4ghz,196 RAM,winxpsp2. kasperskey antivirus..

my pc takes lot time in booting ,opening flders and files too.. help me.

regards

To riturajnitk:

Check your start up programs, especially the ones that run in the back without you knowing.And see how much you have on your harddrives.Clear the temporary file(the one with all the temporary junk, can be done with disk clean up), do a defrag.Might help abit.Check for spywares,viruses,etc...

Maybe hes referring to the resident av on other mail servers or also the fact that gmail does not allow any .exe file to be sent or recieved even if they've been zipped.

Back