HELP - memory usage stuck at 35%

G33kgod

Adept
I am using win 7 64-bit , i dunno why but my idle memory usage is not going below 33-35%. i have also checked task manager but couldn't find any possible app. running. so what can be the problem ??? :(

Windows 7 and for that matter any modern operation system uses free memory to cache frequently used applications, data etc., to boost performance. When an application needs memory the OS frees it up for the app. For example if you are running an app which requires very little memory, and most of your memory is free, the OS uses it for caching, when you fire up an app that requires almost all of the system memory, the os give priority to the app, clears up the caches and gives the app all the memory that it requires. The >30% memory usage you see is because of caching. You can also verify this in task manager, in the memory pane, below the total memory used it shows the amount that is cached.

The important number is not "free," but "available." The "available" memory includes both memory that is free, and memory that can be trivially made available, and this figure is far more representative of the true amount of memory available to applications. The vast majority of cached memory can be freed up near-instantly, since it is used up merely by cached data from disk.

Here is a quote from an arstechnica article. If you are interested you can read the full article here.

Linux also does this. If you use some monitoring utility like "system monitor" it shows the amount of memory used by programs and the amount that is cached.

Back