Help me purchase a good 1 ton Window AC which doesnt eat up electricity like its cyberpunk

panny

Market Restricted
Disciple
Currently owning voltas 5 star window 1 ton AC (probably not an inverter) - Its rated consumption is 830units per year on the star rating (although I know that is of little significance)
It is 5 years old, and after using 5-6 hours everyday, it uses 180units per month, which is absurdly high.
Basically eating 1 unit per hour

Need suggestions on which Window AC should I buy, should have less units per year consumption on star rating, Budget not an issue, only 1 ton possible
*Split AC is not possible as I lack the space in my small room*
Hoping for a suggestion which is lower than 180units per month for 6 hours daily usage.

Thankyou.

In 1-Ton capacity, inverter model doesn't make much sense.

If you need an inverter model only (your daily usage is high), LG Makes window inverter ACs. They look nicer, too!

Non-inverter: General is more easily available at my place. I bought two of those, this year. My use is limited, live on the coast.

Currently owning voltas 5 star window 1 ton AC (probably not an inverter) - Its rated consumption is 830units per year on the star rating (although I know that is of little significance)
It is 5 years old, and after using 5-6 hours everyday, it uses 180units per month, which is absurdly high.

Need suggestions on which Window AC should I buy, should have less units per year consumption on star rating, Budget not an issue, only 1 ton possible
Hoping for a suggestion which is lower than 180units per month for 6 hours daily usage.

Thankyou.

First and foremost check charges of electricity supply at your place.
  1. Fixed Monthly Charge/Rental of Electricity Meter
  2. Electricity charges for (1-100 Units) and than (101-200 Units) and than (201-300 units ....)
  3. How much Electricity Units consumed by Gadget
If you use Inverter/Battery etc. than it will consume more power compare to non inverter user.

I think less power user NEW AC/ NEW Refrigerator / NEW Fan means LOW COOLING - LOW AIR, correct me if I'm wrong

First and foremost check charges of electricity supply at your place.
  1. Fixed Monthly Charge/Rental of Electricity Meter
  2. Electricity charges for (1-100 Units) and than (101-200 Units) and than (201-300 units ....)
  3. How much Electricity Units consumed by Gadget
If you use Inverter/Battery etc. than it will consume more power compare to non inverter user.

I think less power user NEW AC/ NEW Refrigerator / NEW Fan means LOW COOLING - LOW AIR, correct me if I'm wrong
The tonnage refers to the output power or how much heat the AC is capable of removing from a room. So, no, there is no impact on the output when you buy a model of specific tonnage.

On the other hand, the energy efficiency rating (EER) is based on how much power is consumed for the same output.

The star rating is mostly based on this EER and what EER is required to attain a specific star rating keeps changing (improving) every 4 years, so newer models need to be much more efficient than older models to attain the same rating.

If you want to save the most money in terms of operating cost, get the AC with the highest EER which in turn will cost a lot more due to use of costlier components in manufacturing.

Also inverter saves a lot of money as it is capable of varying the motor speed to maintain the temperature. Non-inverter ACs have motors that only switch on and off at certain setting which again consumes a lot more power.

Thankyou.
I don’t think a new AC is going to help you especially if you will still install a window ac. Install an automatic door closer in your room and seal the windows. increase the set point temperature of your AC. There is no magic that has happened in last 5 years that a new AC in the same circumstances is going to have much lower consumption.

You will benefit by installing a larger inverter split AC if you really want to reduce your bill.

Last edited:
I don’t think a new AC is going to help you especially if you will still install a window ac. Install an automatic door closer in your room and seal the windows. increase the set point temperature of your AC. There is no magic that has happened in last 5 years that a new AC in the same circumstances is going to have much lower consumption.

You will benefit by installing a larger inverter split AC if you tally want to reduce your bill.
That's true. The efficiency needed to attain 5-star has changed about 10% for windows ACs in the past 5 years, I think the EER is around 3.5.

On the other hand, split ACs are sold with EER of above 6 and are the real solution to saving on running costs.

Watch these videos to get an idea where the high usage comes from.

Basically, most of the cost comes due to initial cooling. After that the running cost comes down a lot. Does not make sense to have an inverter ac and use it only for few hours. AC is costly and you need to be prepared to pay the bill. After watching these videos I came to conclusion, I'm too poor to afford ac. lol.

Hi, I would like to answer some questions that everyone is asking, sorry new to forum so dont know hwo to tag everyone.
My AC in window AC and I have my room door closed 98% ish of times whne AC is on (rest 2% when person come out and go in etc) and window is never opened even when AC is not On because of mosquitos.
I am not using an inverter, Direct wall plug is supplying the power to the AC.
Window AC is not even possible as my room is small and doesnt have a place to even put it, if i put on my right it will destroy my wardrobe by dripping water, if on left side, it will drip on my bed, if up front it will destroy my PC, my TV and my Monitor, if on back, it will destroy my face. Room is really small.
Asking 1 ton as thats the only size that will fit the current hole on my room for AC's
I am not asking about electric charge as I know it has many variables to calculate, I always asume 7rs per unit as an average of including all additional charges (my split ac on other room only uses 110unit a month while my personal ac uses 180unit per month for essentially same runtime)

So there are no inverter Window AC available which may help in saving cost?
P.s. I run my ac on 25degree fixed temp and it still uses 1000W and even if I switch it to 16 degree it uses only 1000W so idk why this is a thing tbh, is this normal?

Have you thought of the ROI of a new ac though? Let's assume you manage to bring down usage from 180 units to 100 units/month (a very optimistic number). Also, assume AC is used for 10 months a year. You're saving 80 * 10 * 7rs/kwh = 5600 Rs. (example, exact electricity costs can vary wildly). If a new efficient AC is 30k, you're looking at 6 years ROI. Apply this method with your exact data to find the ROI.

Now, roi isn't everything, sometimes we just want something new, and that's totally fine, but ROI helps with a purely financial perspective.

I got a new LG AC this summer. Used it throughout May during nights, and sometimes during the day as well. It's a 4 star rated 1 ton split AC, fitted in my bedroom. But I have hybrid work mode, so I work from home 2-3 days a week and use it during the day.

I did not monitor my electricity consumption at all, but the electricity bill came as a huge surprise to me. My regular electricity bill during summers is ~1500. With the AC running, the bill came to ~1800. It had barely added anything to the overall bill.

If I assume that my cooler was adding ₹300, then the total addition from the AC was something like ₹600. At my present electricity rates, that would be around 60 units. At my home, the impact of the AC used to be much higher.

I do see other people have more concrete numbers than me. Since I have only a small room where the AC barely runs for 6-8 hours, your consumption may be higher than mine.

However, one more thing I wanted to point out was that inverter ACs are much more comfortable. They cool the room, then keep it steady at that temperature. Once cooled, I can run my AC at 40% mode and it will keep the room at a very comfortable temperature throughout the night. Regular ACs, on the other hand, make the room really cold.

Two 1.5 ton 3-star window ACs at an older place I used to reside led to bills of 7-7.5k in the summers in Mumbai. I have two 1.5 ton 5-star (2018) ACs now and the bill is 3-3.5k, considering that electricity rates have also increased over the years.

Already crossed the ROI in terms of operating cost a long time ago.
Have you thought of the ROI of a new ac though? Let's assume you manage to bring down usage from 180 units to 100 units/month (a very optimistic number). Also, assume AC is used for 10 months a year. You're saving 80 * 10 * 7rs/kwh = 5600 Rs. (example, exact electricity costs can vary wildly). If a new efficient AC is 30k, you're looking at 6 years ROI. Apply this method with your exact data to find the ROI.

Now, roi isn't everything, sometimes we just want something new, and that's totally fine, but ROI helps with a purely financial perspective.

Two 1.5 ton 3-star window ACs at an older place I used to reside led to bills of 7-7.5k in the summers in Mumbai. I have two 1.5 ton 5-star (2018) ACs now and the bill is 3-3.5k, considering that electricity rates have also increased over the years.

Already crossed the ROI in terms of operating cost a long time ago.
I don't think this kind of change is possible in the exact same location even with the efficiency increases. It is more a result of change of location than that of the ACs.
PS: ISEER is not the same as true EER. I hate ISEER because it obfuscates the true increase in efficiency which is much lower than the government and AC companies would have you believe. To find EER, divide the cooling capacity in watts by the power consumption in watts.
run my ac on 25degree fixed temp and it still uses 1000W and even if I switch it to 16 degree it uses only 1000W so idk why this is a thing tbh, is this normal?
Yes. As long as the room has not reached the setpoint it will consume the same amount of electricity. But once your room reaches 25 C the power consumption will go down as the compressor will turn off when you set 25C but it will not go down if you set 16C. So, keep the temperature as high as possible for you.

There is no magic in newer ACs. They just cool your room slower in most cases if the power consumption has gone down. I would not recommend that you buy a new window AC. You will never realise the monetary benefits.
You should get your AC serviced with water under pressure which will make a big difference. Don’t keep your AC at 16C. Keep it at 26 or 27C.

Last edited:
P.s. I run my ac on 25degree fixed temp and it still uses 1000W and even if I switch it to 16 degree it uses only 1000W so idk why this is a thing tbh, is this normal?
It's probably not a constant 1000w. If you don't have an inverter AC, it can only run at 2 power levels, 1000w (on) and 0w (off). The AC runs full tilt until it reaches the target temperature, and then maintains the temp there by turning on periodically (when the temp reaches a certain high threshold), still at full power, but for short bursts. Here's my AC's typical power consumption graph over time. Notice the initial peak vs. short bursts after.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-20 230311.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-20 230311.png
    37.6 KB · Views: 48
It's probably not a constant 1000w. If you don't have an inverter AC, it can only run at 2 power levels, 1000w (on) and 0w (off). The AC runs full tilt until it reaches the target temperature, and then maintains the temp there by turning on periodically (when the temp reaches a certain high threshold), still at full power, but for short bursts. Here's my AC's typical power consumption graph over time. Notice the initial peak vs. short bursts after.
This graph is for an inverter ac right?

I don't think this kind of change is possible in the exact same location even with the efficiency increases. It is more a result of change of location than that of the ACs.
PS: ISEER is not the same as true EER. I hate ISEER because it obfuscates the true increase in efficiency which is much lower than the government and AC companies would have you believe. To find EER, divide the cooling capacity in watts by the power consumption in watts.

Yes. As long as the room has not reached the setpoint it will consume the same amount of electricity. But once your room reaches 25 C the power consumption will go down as the compressor will turn off when you set 25C but it will not go down if you set 16C. So, keep the temperature as high as possible for you.

There is no magic in newer ACs. They just cool your room slower in most cases if the power consumption has gone down. I would not recommend that you buy a new window AC. You will never realise the monetary benefits.
You should get your AC serviced with water under pressure which will make a big difference. Don’t keep your AC at 16C. Keep it at 26 or 27C.
That is the thing, my AC is water pressured 2 times in past 6 months (it was under warranty) and gas is refilled, but I hav e never seen the compresser turn off automatically if I set temp anything below 26C, only on 26C the compresser turn off that too after a long while, and I dont even keep the AC on continuously more than 2 hours so i. Also the compresser starts itself in 5-10 mins itself because room becomes hot again (ambient temp in my area ia around 32+ always Mumbai) so it is still 1 unit per hour constant wether I put even 30 C or 16C doesnt make any difference (maybe 5-10% less units used but that would be about it)

That is the thing, my AC is water pressured 2 times in past 6 months (it was under warranty) and gas is refilled, but I hav e never seen the compresser turn off automatically if I set temp anything below 26C, only on 26C the compresser turn off that too after a long while, and I dont even keep the AC on continuously more than 2 hours so i. Also the compresser starts itself in 5-10 mins itself because room becomes hot again (ambient temp in my area ia around 32+ always Mumbai) so it is still 1 unit per hour constant wether I put even 30 C or 16C doesnt make any difference (maybe 5-10% less units used but that would be about it)
This is entirely expected. The most energy is required for initial cooling. You only run the AC for 2 hours at a time so your cost per hour will be high. But, your overall cost will be low if you run your AC for short duration.

Back