Help me getting wifi router!

Dark Star

ex-Mod
I am planning to shell some money in wifi router but have no idea whatsoever on how to begin with. Seeing the great surge in tplink off lately i am thinking of giving my home the wireless treat

Now what do I need is jotted down-

1. A router that should be connected to not more than 3 device- my desktop + my phone (xperia u not yet bought :p) + laptop.
2. Should not cost more than 2k. Anything under 1.5k will be appreciable.
3. Should have high quality antenna and signal strength.
4. I live in a 2 bed room of around 1100 sqft so shouldn't be needing a hell lot of powerful router. Should be able to access the net in all the rooms.
5. Should be configurable across linux.

Ok other than that should I be getting a wifi modem ? What is the difference between a wifi router and wifi modem ?

I hope that clear my needs. Waiting for revert and suggestions

Regards

Darky.
it is not same thing. Wifi Modem has built in ADSL Port so you dont require external 2nd Stand alone ADSL Modem. Wifi Router has only wifi and ethernet connectivity. you must have ADSL Modem.
I would say get all in one Modem + Router Combo. TP-Link is nice and cheap and would do the needful basic job. TP-LINK TD-W8101G 54Mbps wifi wi-fi Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router | eBay
Almost all routers are web based configurable. So configuring from linux is not an issue.

Thanks a lot for detailed information cisco_tech .

There is a wifi modem outside which catches the signal from the tower in the society and the Ethernet cable comes in. So I am not really sure that I need a wifi+modem ?

Given there is no other viable ISP connection in my area getting a wifi+modem will be a waste ? Isn't it ?
@Metalspree - cannot spend that much on router as of now, all I need is to wifi my home. Nothing fancy as of now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dark Star who is your ISP ? if just ethernet cable is coming to your house. then just get the Wifi Router. No need of ADSL Modem. And do you get Public IP or Private IP from your ISP ? It doesnt matter though when connecting to router. TP-Link have mac clone features just in case.

Hmmm.. WRT54G. Not a bad idea. Mine WRT54GL has been running fine since 08.
You can get 2nd hand WRT54G. Make sure ... Don't get the V7.

For your apartment size, your need fairly strong signal if you are keeping the router in a corner room of the apartment. Otherwise you need to place it in the middle part of the apartment (generally will be a living/dining room).

Ok other than that should I be getting a wifi modem ? What is the difference between a wifi router and wifi modem ?

Better keep the modem and Router separate. I would say have a basic ADSL modem. And a very good wifi router.

Router is basically a device which route the data from and To Modem to multiple devices connected. ie, when you browse using 2 devices, the data requested by the first device should go to the first and not he second device. Router can be Wireless or wired. Normally a wireless router will have 2 to 4 Lan connection also so that you dont need to use wireless feature, can be connected to the device directly through lan cable.

So in a home entertainment system, you can connect the router to your HDTV directly through the LAN cable and play youtube videos, meanwhile check your emails using another labtop using wireless feature.

Another important thing you have to consider the the router throughput. (I guess thats the correct term)

If you want to stream High definition video /audio between two devices at your home (say a movie which is in your Desktop harddisk need to be played on your labtop without copying it, then go for a higher rated router. say N type. If you are not using these feature, a 'b/g' type router wil do. Remember that this will not affect your internet speed provided by the ISP.

a N type router will cost more than a b-type or g -type.

^^OK one more thing can I plug tata photon/3g sim dongle in these routers ?

Apart from this the linksys seems to bit on the higher side Cisco Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G Broadband Linux Router | Router | Flipkart.com
No you can not plug in 3G/EVDO data card in all routers. you will need special router with USB port and tested USB dongles by manufacturers.
I would say buy this router for 1700. Plugin Your SIFY Ethernet cable into WAN Port. and Photon/3G into USB. so you have fail over connectivity. + Open WRT 3rd party firmware is supported. and some WIP is going on too.

WRT54GL is outdated. and I bought it for 3000 back in 07. dont know why flipkart is still selling it and that too for 3654

*edit*
3G/3.75G USB Modem Compatibility List for TL-MR3220

Just another query before purchase, what if I skip the USB idea, will it still the best wifi router in the range or any other alternative ?

^^ Can you list the best available wifi router 802.11N w/o USB support for me. cisco_tech

I'll most probably buying from fpk so link to it will come in handy.

Thanks for helping.

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

If you skip the USB idea. Then there are many choices under 2000 Rs. for N series router.

*edit* Final Choice. :p ASUS RT-N10+ EZ N Wireless Router | Router | Flipkart.com
Supports DD-WRT

That is out of stock, will ping them or will check other source for the same.

ASUS - Networks- ASUS RT-N10 C1 (RT-N10+ C1)

One thing more, I dont have a wireless card in my PC, so how do I connect the router to PC (outer ethernet goes to router , another cable from router goes to pc?)

^^ Can you list the best available wifi router 802.11N w/o USB support for me. cisco_tech

I'll most probably buying from fpk so link to it will come in handy.

Thanks for helping.

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

That is out of stock, will ping them or will check other source for the same.

ASUS - Networks- ASUS RT-N10 C1 (RT-N10+ C1)

One thing more, I dont have a wireless card in my PC, so how do I connect the router to PC (outer ethernet goes to router , another cable from router goes to pc?)

Oopps. Out of stock.:ashamed:
ASUS RT-N10 C1 also supports DD-WRT. try SMC International. OR N10 is available on Deltapage.
Asus Wifi 11n (150 Mbps) DSL Router with 4 Lan ports : RT-N10 - www.deltapage.com

Yes thts correct.
SIFY CABLE >>>> (WAN PORT)ROUTER(LAN PORT) >>>> PC.

Back