Help me buying DSLR camera for a beginner in photography

sam249

Disciple
i wanna buy an entry level dslr for experimenting with photography.
It seems most prefer Canon EOS 550D
its around 34k i guess, somewhat exceeds my budget.

what camera would you suggest? (from 10k-30k, value for money DSLR)
or
Shall i wait for sometime(3-5 months), gather some money & buy 550D?

what about Sony DSC-HX100V and Sony NEX-3K in comparison with D3100?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

D3100 seems around 23k. are there any options around that price point

The HX100V isn't a DSLR if you are just getting into photgraphy you could start with prosumers cameras like HX100v,FZ150,HS20EXR.

The NEX-3K takes DSLR quality images and also has interchangeable lenses like a DSLR.So if you are not interested in using a viewfinder then you can go with the NEX-3K which is cheaper then the D3100.

The only other DSLR options you have which is cheaper then D3100 is the Sony A290 which has a old sensor(inferior to the D3100) its a better cam imo compared to cameras such as the canon 1000d and now discontinued D3000,its cheap costs around 19k but is overall inferior to the D3100.So if its a DSLR i suggest you to get a D3100 at that price you are getting.

thanks a lot adder and dhruv.
Price correction, around 26k at zoomin for D3100.still i can extend.
So for entry level, you say d3100 is the best and value for money?
Or are there any cheaper and value for money options

Well in DSLR D3100 is your best bet, if you can extend your budget and use live view from lcd or EVF there is the Sony SLT cameras,which have the fastest PDAF in liveview and while taking videos.

Is this the model u r talking about ?
Sony Alpha SLT-A33 @ 37000
costlier than EOS 550D

Is PDAF that important while choosing a DSLR? , i personally like a fast PDAF

Then Sony Alpha SLT-A33 > EOS 550D ?

Well i have seen the SLT costing around 29k in some online sites here in india ,MRP is now 33.9k which is cheaper then 550d,the mrp prices where even cheaper a week or so ago,now its gone up again ,perhaps thanks to the dollar/rupee.

All DSLR have PDAF but none has them if you use the lcd to click pictures or if you record videos,only the Sony SLT and some dslr like sony A390 has PDAF in live view or when using lcd.The SLT go one step further it has a high resolution 100% EVF with 1.1x magnification (which is bigger then all penta mirror based DSLR OVF) so you get PDAF when using either the lcd or the EVF, the SLT are the only series of large sensor cameras out there that does PDAF in videos.

even a Canon 1000d can shoot some of the best shots.. its pure skill.. its a trial and error, experimenting method.... Read about Nikon D3100, Canon 1000d, 1100d, 550d and choose wisely. More over most places are phasing out 550d for the 600d which is on the higher price tag.

I would say if you are a shutter bug who likes to experiment, try your hands on Canon 1000d, can get it around 20k i guess. then when you have mastered it, try a high end DSLR.

watch those youtube videos of professional what they say..

Canon EOS 1000D / Rebel XS Review
Canon EOS 1100D Review
Canon EOS 550D / Digital Rebel T2i Hands-on Preview
Nikon D3100 Review

^walk into some good Camera store, or if there is any Camera exhibitions around your place, go and have a physical feel of the cam first. Check which suits you, reading is just on part of the whole thing only.

A physical feel and touch of the cam you intend to buy is all together another experience as your coming abroad an entire different level of photography. Croma, Reliance all should have these basic DSLR to test.. Do your reading part well, let not the marketing guy market some high end which ends up of no purpose to you.

For a guy who hasn't had much experience with a superzoom, buying a brand new DSLR is a risky affair.

DSLRs are not for the impatient, and definitely not for the laid back types. THere are many folks who were mesmerised by the "image" of holding a DSLR, and bought a new one only to be frustrated by the process of getting a pic, and expectedly sell off their DSLRs at a massive discount as no one wants used stuff at 10% off market rate.

My advice: avoid new stuff. Get a used DSLR body dirt cheap... something like an old CAnon 350D can be had for 8000 with the lens. Try it for a week or so just to see if it is up your alley. If you want to get into this seriously, disposing off the 350D will be easier since there are many buyers looking for dirt cheap stuff.

Even if you do intend to continue DSLRing, there is not much to distinguish the 350D it from the latest entry level DSLRs... a few additional bells and whistles like video recording aside. As far as learning the basics is concerned, the 350D is just fine. And it takes excellent snaps as well... compared to any point and shoot and Superzoom.

Finally, you need to realise one thing... and this is something you will only get from those who have been using different gears. This is the issue of finding suitable lenses. Unlike other cameras, DSLRS are two entirely different parts.. the body and the lens. And you will have more fun with getting better lenses than you will be getting better bodies. For example, a high end body with a 50mm lens will cost as much as a low end body and a 24-300 lens, but the latter offers more fun and creative possibilities.

It is generally acknowledged, that if you want cheap gear, Nikon bodies are recommended as it is easier to get old lenses dirt cheap and still use them with modern bodies. 20 or 30 year old lenses are available quite cheap and they still work on the latest DSLRs with little modification. Get a cheap D50 for maximum compatibility as it has an internal focus motor, something even the latest D5100 does not. Having an internal motor is crucial if you do not intend to do manual focussing... which can be quite a joy as well. A D50 body can be had for about 7000.
If you want to start from scratch and don't mind paying more for the lenses, get a Canon. Older Canon lenses do not work with present DSLRs which means lens options are more expensive compared to Nikon.

And last if you really do not care about lineage (in other words the number of lenses already available in the SLR ecosphere), you can get DSLRs like Sony etc .... mind you Minolta/Konika/Sony lenses are available.. just not as easily as Canon and Nikon. Others like Pentax and Olympus also have a huge following, but compared to N and C this is a niche segment.

If you have read so far, you have atleast one quality required to stick to DSLRs - patience.

reddead said:
wait what,NEX 3 is a dslr??

It isn't but if some one is going to use the live view/lcd to take a picture then there is No difference when you use a DSLR with live view or a NEX/mirroless cam both have interchangeable lens and both will be using contrast detect AF in live view,infact the NEX/mirrorless camera will focus faster and quiter since they have tailor made lenses for contrast detect AF.

Go ahead with D3100.I was in the same dilemma few months back.Finally got D3100 from letsbuy for 28k + got 16GB SDHC+Slick Tripod+Carry Bag+4GB SD along with it.

24k deal of d3100 seems expired. i need our Sony fan Adder to post a reply about the nex 3 pricing

1st day of mbbs internship. very excited. Will buy cam within day or two.

Some1 tell me if 6k diff between nex 3 & d3100 is big enough to opt for nex 3

Back