Audio Help me become an audiophile

Anshul

Disciple
May 30, 2007
Used it for a week. I can shove the medium foam tip deep inside my right ear and have no problem with it for long periods. But it starts itching in the left within 10 minutes :S Next iem will have to be a custom.

Can't complain about the sound but I do want a tad more bass and better soundstage. Also, I don't think the isolation is as good as it should be.

chiron

Skilled
Feb 8, 2006
Anshul said:
Used it for a week. I can shove the medium foam tip deep inside my right ear and have no problem with it for long periods. But it starts itching in the left within 10 minutes :S Next iem will have to be a custom.

Can't complain about the sound but I do want a tad more bass and better soundstage. Also, I don't think the isolation is as good as it should be.

I've grown to prefer the silicone tips over the foam ones over time, though I initially always preferred the foam ones. Maybe they got a bit worn after hundreds of hours of use or maybe I just got used to them but nowadays I've got no problem with wearing the silicone tips for even 10hours a day. I often even leave them on as earbuds while traveling in train when I go to sleep.

FaH33m

Analog Vibes
Skilled
Apr 29, 2006
^ Might want to try out Comply foam tips for maximum comfort and good isolation. But they also can result in slight absorption of the treble sparkle.

Sep 24, 2007
Sorry Might be late, Really late on coming to this thread... (work pressure)

First... You can't become an audiophile.... YOU EVOLVE....

Ask any audiophile.. (many of them don't know they are one, unless you start talking to them... especially who crossed 40..)
they all started with a basic set of iem/headphones/ streo/headphone amps... and evolve by comparison.... and which they think is the accurate reproduction of the sound of that genre.. or they start liking a particular balance of the frequencies from the source.. called in short, SIGNATURE.

They then try to remove bottlenecks and compensate the power lack from the audio source, Usage of amps.

then comes the combination of Source, amp & headphone/earphone.....

this huge permutation of devices finally gets SETTLED for an optimal sound signature the user prefers.

So, my point to the question..

Its not a degree to become a class of people just by completing a course...
YOU EVOLVE... and bad thing... you try to evolve more....

Anshul

Disciple
May 30, 2007
This may not be a popular opinion but after some research and auditioning, I realised that a proper hifi system is the only way to go (and not headphones/iems). With proper placement and room acoustics, the imaging is quite spectacular. I saved 50 grand because of this thread :)

amp8835.jpg

Reactions: DigitalDude

Brendon

Skilled
Mar 21, 2005
Wow ! This thread jogged some of my brain cells when I first saw the title. Its nice to see the final conclusion to the thread. :)

Well yeah a good speaker set up can sound really amazing but IMO there is a difference between headphones and speakers. I have a pair of B+W speakers which technically sound very nice and resolving. However many a times I reach out for my headphones and while they aren't in the same league technically (much cheaper than the speaker setup) headphones have their own charm and a more intimate sound experience.

esanthosh

Skilled
Jan 3, 2010
Coimbatore
I shall soon have my revenge. I am slowly poisoning the mind of a speaker aficionado by turning him towards IEMs ........ Corrupting the world one person at a time :D

I would like a great speaker setup, but I will never have enough money for it. That and I cannot possibly have 12 different speaker setups to meet my wildly swinging 'sound signature moods' :shy: