Help, Got Galaxy S2 I9100G instead of I9100

ambar_hitman

Disciple
I got Samsung Galaxy S2 a few weeks back from a local dealer (Vijay Sales) in Pune. It had I9100 written on its box. I checked it there and got the phone home. Few days back I realised that its actually I9100G and NOT I9100. And this "G" one sucks because its based on OMAP chipset and not Exynos. Also there are like only 2 Custom ROMs available for it. This is case of misleading the customer. Also, this G variant is sold cheaper in Malaysia, but in India, its price is same as I9100.
I want a replacement. Can anyone suggest possible ways to take this up to Samsung?

Here are the differences:
Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 vs. GT-I9100G Ultimate Comparison Guide. All You Need to Know! | 10Division.com

^^

As far as i understand. Nothing.

Its NOT a case of misinterpretation.It had I9100. the G was missing.

The link says that the difference is clearly mentioned on the package. If its not, then you are definitely entitled to a i9100 that you bought. Write an email to them explaining this and see what they have to say.

ambar_hitman said:
It was missing? They clearly mentioned I9100 on the box, but inside its I9100G. Thats misleading.

U still not getting it.

It said I9100 on the box. u got a I9100G, its still a I9100 as the box says. Most companies don't put the entire nomenclature in their boxes. It cannot be considered as misinterpretation. Just a ploy to mislead buyers, not illegal though. Most prolly, u will hear the same from samsung. try ur luck.

Check the sides of the box and look for the G being mentioned or not. If its not mentioned, you should get the money/correct piece. There shouldnt be any issues about it.

Getting a different piece with different components onboards is definitely not a norm. That, when there is a price difference as well. It should be a straight forward case.

Is there no mention of G on box or during booting? Because according to the link you shared, it has clearly shown that the box has G on it, boot animation also has G. Is it not the case with you? Can you share pics of how you found out that its a G?

Might be helpful for other while buying it personally at least.

Well the Box doesn't have G anywhere on it. The booting animation has G and the About Phone option in Settings also has G. There is no way to tell from external box unless you open and start the mobile. This is very disgusting and cunning thing from Samsung.

^^ Even before SGS2 was launched there was information available on net that Samsung is going to use 2 types of SOCs for it.

Also Samsung website mentions that "Features and specifications are subject to change without prior notification.". So as others have already suggested, they most probably will not hear your complaint.

But still you should let them know that you are angry. They might start making boxes which clearly mentions G on after getting lot of complaints :)

Yeah everything is good if they had mentioned I9100G on the box and sold I9100G. But here they are misleading the customer by selling I9100G in a I9100 box. This is very bad news for those who order online.

check the sr. no. on both box and phone, and be sure thr is not any G mentioned on box, you can grab them on twitter,FB and support email, try your luck

I will do that. Thanks.

Is there a major difference between the G and NON G models?

Except chipset everything is the same. But different chipset means lot of changes in benchmarks, custom ROMs etc. See the link in my first post in this topic for more details.

Why do reputed brands like Samsungs do that?...seems very similar to their Panel lottery on their LCD/LED tv's!
This Really sucks!
Yes,.. everything would have been good if they had mentioned I9100G on the box and sold I9100G....otherwise,i consider it cheating ! :(

on question of differences between G & Non G models ,there r factual differences,...but consider this even the GT-I9100 (Non-G) model is also Not a Perfect phone itself..has got issues of its own!.....as the article states,the main difference would arise from what the user expects from the phone!

I suggest mods should create a sticky or some warning thread in Mobile Phone buying advice section so that more users dont end up being cheated. Better go for Galaxy Note or some other phone.

Product code I9100LKGINU << This is I9100G and I9100LKAINU << This is for I9100 . also check sammy r contact us/feedback link this G is available

JwhmX.png

Although the op has every right to get miffed at what happened with him, i cant help but feel that samsung is not totally at fault here. The i9100G and i9100 both, are afterall Samsung Galaxy SII only & as such they are expected to be marketed as same. Consequently the retail box & package will also be identical as they are in fact SGSII only. Now the op could have prevented it by buying from a local store where he could have inspected the box. In the box where the date of manufacture sticker is pasted, there on the top of the sticker itself the model number is written. With adequate research one can be aware of the model no for both G as well as non-G.

Now coming to the issue of the G having a inferior SOC compared to the non-G, well it is actually not true. The cpu part are basically the same as the Ti OMAP 44xx and the Exynos/Orion 42xx both have a dual core ARM A9 with neon vfp instructions. However the G model does have a noticeably weaker GPU in the form of SGX 540 (Although till the Mali-400 or the SGX 543+, it was the top dog in mobile GPUs).

However one should keep in mind, that the upcoming Galaxy Nexus has the exact same SOC as the G & it is widely accepted that it is no slouch in terms of performance. Regarding the original development scene, the G does not have too much love from the development community simply because it is not available widely & in most territories. AFAIK, the G is only available for sale in the asia-pacific region only. But on the bright side, expect the development to pick up on G as soon as the devs manage to successfully port ICS.

@Op, dont be too disheartened, you dont have a faulty kit with you, rather a different one. Although you can continue to be angry & rant about this, its better if you simply accept this fact & move on. People like me who have the non-G version have faced other issues, which TBH are much more pressing & disappointing. Just enjoy your device & show it some love.

Apologies for the long post

^^ yesh :D thts correct this G ver(rather say g*y ver. of sgs II lol) is better, no screen issue, no heating issue, no camera pink issue.

bt only weaker gpu. procy is same 1.2ghz dual core, its under clock @ 1008mhz. and i thought mali400 production is low thts why sammy using OMAP4430.

Back