help buying new DTH

sam249

Disciple
i bought lg lcd hd tv (not ful hd one) few months back
due to power fluctuations through cable port tv board keeps damaging
since its under warranty lg wala replacing it.
so i want to stop cable and take new DTH.

some better DTH provider??

my city has almost all.
i heard tata sky is better.
Tata sky hd 6400 rs installation+ for some plan for one year.
plz suggest other available options for HD and pricing

If you dont mind the costs, then Tata Sky looks the best IMHO...

Videocon has good number of channels, esp regional channels, but software is slower than a Pentium 1 computer running windows 7 with 32 Mb ram... (just exaggerating, but its dead slow!) if not for this, I believe videocon is the best bang for the buck...

go for tatasky. i am saying this even though i have reliance airtel and tata sky. reliance i am using since 3 yrs no issue but no good in terms of overall packs, still using it because taken it and now no time to replace and spend more money. buying airtel was a mistake and i still regret it everyday, tatasky is charm so go for it

Buying anything but Failtel. They have worst customer service and don't have anything that sets them apart. Don't believe the Kareena / Saif Ads.

raksrules said:
Buying anything but Failtel. They have worst customer service and don't have anything that sets them apart. Don't believe the Kareena / Saif Ads.

agree as their packs is big time flop they have no pack in which u can view all channels so thats strange and odd makes them failtel

I am using TATA SKY + last 3yr before that sd no issue till date

go for it.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I am using TATA SKY + last 3yr before that sd no issue till date
go for it.:)

If you're planning to get a lot of HD channels then don't go for Tata Sky. They currently don't have any space left on the transponders. THis problem will continue till around March of next year.

TS HD all the way. They're far ahead in terms of service and HD content compared to Airtel, RDTV. Videocon as of now has the maximum number of HD channels, so they might be worth a look too.

Take anything, but never take Airtel DTH in life.

Even if they give for free & with a box of sweet. DONT EVER Take it.

One of the worst customer care ever. Gave free of cost to kamwali bai, now she is complaining too :(

quality wise Airtel adn Tata Sky are really good. People here are complaining about service of Airtel but I have had pleasant experience about them for last 2.5 years.

If you are looking at VFM Videocon / Dish are two good options, Videocon is new, cheap, a friend is using it and have not heard any complaints. Dish I have used but the compression ratio is horrible too much pixellation to my liking.

Sun DTH is a regional player, if you are into south channels then fine otherwise avoid it.

Take you pick amongst these players with whoever gives you better package. :D

medpal said:
quality wise Airtel adn Tata Sky are really good. People here are complaining about service of Airtel but I have had pleasant experience about them for last 2.5 years.

If you are looking at VFM Videocon / Dish are two good options, Videocon is new, cheap, a friend is using it and have not heard any complaints. Dish I have used but the compression ratio is horrible too much pixellation to my liking.

Sun DTH is a regional player, if you are into south channels then fine otherwise avoid it.

Take you pick amongst these players with whoever gives you better package. :D

airtel is worst when it comes to package because they dont offer any plans which cover all channels

^I'm on the new Ultra pack..i get all channels except the HD channels...

The only problem is if any new channel gets added then that doesn't get added to this pack..

@Medpal

I guess you are the only one never had issues with airtel. I remember you mentioning having no issues in some earlier threads. This is good for you and probably there is very small percentage (0.0001%) of lucky people. But for maximum of us, it is of issue, their worst customer service to top it all. They thing they are tees maar khan in handling issues and don't care what the customer is saying. Last time on my pestering they did what was supposed to be done to restore my services because he had no clue what the issue was.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Fahrenheit said:
^I'm on the new Ultra pack..i get all channels except the HD channels and Ten Cricket...

Forget HD Channels, did you ask them why not TEN Cricket since you are on their apex pack ?

You have every right to complain. Then what is the meaning of ultra etc.

Fahrenheit said:
^I'm on the new Ultra pack..i get all channels except the HD channels...

The only problem is if any new channel gets added then that doesn't get added to this pack..

another funny thing they offer zee studio in mega pack but not under ultra pack kwel and sad

Fahrenheit said:
I edited my earlier post...Ten cricket is now part of the Ultra pack...

Zee Studio still isn't though..

yeah because Failtel make zee studio part of regional pack so if u take ultra pack and choose zee studio then u will miss out of your regional pack which is free so with ultra pack u get get either zeestudio free or regional pack free.

Go for Tata Sky HD or HD+ , Reason:-

1. Event based HD broadcast in sports segment (specially where India involved)

2. Customer Care / My Portal are great and they really want to solve your problem/query.

3. Hardware provided are better quality than other DTH...earlier it was best.

4. Stable EPG........It is very important if go for DVR box.

5. Most popular main stream channel are there.

6. Good picture quality of SD channels in SD TV. HD channels look good HDTV.

7. No hidden cost in channel package or Hardware. You don't need to pay a single paisa extra other than mentioned in website

Don't go:-

1. If you want each every channel.

2. Used old MPEG2 technology for broadcasting in all SD channel where other DTH use modern MPEG4 (this is why no lag between channel change)

3. There is nothing much until March 2012...In that time they will upgrade their system and solve the TP space problem and blah blah blah.....

4 I can't think of any

One more thing they deduct balance everyday unless you are in Semi-Annual / Annual / Bi-Annual Mega (Lite) Pack.

SatBeams - Satellite charts - Channel list - Insat 2E (Intelsat APR-2) / Insat 3B / Insat 4A

Back