Graphic Cards help buying 6950

Leshy

Disciple
i want a good graphic card so i 0`d in on the hd6950 2gb

now i have 3 choices
1. get a used 6950 tiwn frozr from our te member sagar.agarwal20 its a 3 month old card he is giving for 12000 incl ebay charges
2. brand new msi twin frozr 2gb from smc international 16200
3. sapphire dirt 3 edition 17200

i am worried about the MSI a.s.s. please help me out in deciding and going for the right choice
note:- i want custom cooling cards only

If you are going to overclock your card and do all kind of R&D on it then get a Sapphire 6950, I have heard from many members that it can be unlocked to 6970.. A.S.S is also good for Sapphire.

If you are not going to overclock the card then MSI 6950 which Sagar is selling is best bang for buck.. A 3 month old 6950 at 12K is a good option

Get The MSI twin Frozer II, good cooling + MSI afterburner = Massive OverClocking

Stay clear of Sapphire, they have a bad reputation for their after purchase service

FYI the Dirt3 edition cannot be unlocked into a 6970 in anyway, if u don't believe check tom's hardware.

Stay clear of Sapphire ehh ?? What makes you say that :) The normal/stock/reference (whatever you call it) 6950 from sapphire does unlock as suggested in my comment above.. Dirt3 edition is not suggested since it doesnt justify its price tag...

hey guys thanks for the replys... i mostly dont intend unlocking the card to 6970 because "it will be killed over time" thats what i read in many forums... i heard MSI a.s.s. is average and quality of the card is not upto the mark...pl. advise

I am using MSI Twin Frozr II 6950 2gb and very satisfied with it. It wasn't purchased from here so can't speak about the service. All games work at 1920x 1080 at good temperatures. Even played BF3 on Ultra settings without issues. Idle temp for me is 44 deg without AC and 38 with AC. Load temp for BF3 was around 74 deg without AC. CODMW3 temps are even lower maybe due to inferior graphics of the game.

As far as quality goes, well Sapphire is way above MSI!!

I personally was looking to buy Sapphire`s 6850 few months back, however I couldn`t find one fromm Sapphire and the market was flooded with MSI card, luckily at one store I was able to find a Sapphire 6970 - so I went ahead and spent more (ofc got a better card :p) and bought a Sapphire build card. Sapphire cards build quality and cooling is way better than that of MSI, and these MSI guys tends to come with extraa cooling kit with hike in price to match up as I see around.

My 2 Cent.

thanks guys our member sagar.agarwal20 said he will mail me the pics by tonight will have a look at it and decide what i will be ultimately going in for

Why don't you go for 560 ti it is a lot better than 6950 believe me i am using Sapphire 6950 1gb and i am not impressed with this card
Leshy said:
i want a good graphic card so i 0`d in on the hd6950 2gb

now i have 3 choices

1. get a used 6950 tiwn frozr from our te member sagar.agarwal20 its a 3 month old card he is giving for 12000 incl ebay charges

2. brand new msi twin frozr 2gb from smc international 16200

3. sapphire dirt 3 edition 17200

i am worried about the MSI a.s.s. please help me out in deciding and going for the right choice

note:- i want custom cooling cards only

Yup get sapphire toxic hd6950 2gb or msi twin frozriii hd 6950 2gb you will be satisfied and it's better than gtx560ti.:)

thanks guys .... can anyone please advise on msi A.S.S so i can finally make up my mind :)

oops bad encounter with msi already

pl. advise about where to purchase sapphire toxic

got a mail from SMC

Dear Sir,
Unfortunately, the Sapphire HD6950 Vapor X 2GB graphics card is not available with us. Sorry! L
But, if you’d like to consider an alternative, we can offer you the MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC @ Rs.16,200/- with Free Shipping.
The MSI card is, in our opinion, the finest Radeon 6950 variant on the market. Here’s a review: http://bit.ly/ipLPWN
Not only is it a great card at stock settings, some users have also been able to unlock the R6950 into a full-fledged 6970 with the full complement of 1536 shader cores. While we do not guarantee that it will work, here’s a guide on how to do this: http://bit.ly/lltkPH
Please do let us know if you’d be interested.
Thank you for your time. Have a nice day. J
Best regards,

Team SMC

That was sheer bad luck. Dont go by it, you can get MSI card if you like the cooler, it will serve you well as long as you dont do anything silly with it. On the other hand, get a Sapphire card and be tension free about the A.S.S

actually my mind is inclined towards sapphire only but the avaibility of the card with custom cooling is a "?" if i find one will grab it surely

pl. advise online stores who deal in sapphire checked out SMC,prime abgb (has dirt 3 edition), it wares also (has dirt 3 edition)

Is there any reason you are not willing to buy the Sapphire with the AMD reference cooler? This has a 100% chance of getting soft modded to a HD6970 without any fuss. I am personally using one and haven't faced any issues by far. Besides, the GPU and memory clocks are also overclocked.

*touchwood*

@gannu thanks for the reply why i prefer custom coolers is because they generally run cooler than the stock coolers and have more overclocking potential btw... does your card have the bios switch because what i heard the newer models dont get the switch

i also spoke with theitdepot they said they offer power color but sadly again no custom cooling

may i know for reference when you purchased the card because from what i heard the bios switch option is no more available in the batches made after august 2011

It was around May this year. Quite probable that the switch is removed from the later batches although I am not sure why would Sapphire do that.

^ thanks for the reply i will ponder on all options for 2~3 days and finally come to a conclusion
suggestions are welcome

Back