OC & Modding help! 650i mobo NB cooling

Mr. Studd

Disciple
Hey guys,

I tried adding a Sunon 50x10 mm fan with help of 4 long screws.

The fan fitted perfectly and screws( support by HS fins) were holding everything.

But when i turn it on, its very noisy :(

i suspect that the screws are vibrating but i couldn't figure out how to install a fan on a heat sink ( heat sink of course has no provision for screws).
Any hacks will be greatly appreciated.

:S

connect the fan using zip ties, or remove the stock heatsink and add a coolermaster NB cooler(i think this is the only chipset cooler available in India)

saw a hack in some forum where the person had tied the fan with help of single copper wire taken diagonally across the heatsink and tied to the heatsink.

edit: or you could make ur own clips to hold the fan in place.

ummm how do i make my own clip?

see its a normal heatsink with vertical fins.

nothing much to hold on to :(
^^ will checkout CM chipset cooler :) thx!

but if i could a cheap fan, then nothing like it :D

sheeesh......go out to a hardware store....ask for small size of hardened rubber washers.....stick glossy paper on either side to prevent it from getting stuck to the heatsink...and attach........

dhirukholia said:
^^ will it fit on my xfx 650i ultra mobo?

if yes then i will surely go for it!

Hey...thats what I did on my XFX650i Ultra n helped me BIGtime.

I could neva go over 4gigs on my E6750 cause of the NB...even when I had a massive 92x38mm fan @ 2665rpm on it.

M doing 4.1gigs (3.8gigs 24x7) now :hap2: ve another HO-05 sli lying around 4 the SB...2 lazy atm 2 go through process since m fasting...will go through it soon.

Edit: Don't belive the dates on the att. pics...took them with my k-jam without setting the date/time after my last ROM update :p

Attachments

• IMAGE_00014.jpg
    IMAGE_00014.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMAGE_00015.jpg
    IMAGE_00015.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IMAGE_00016.jpg
    IMAGE_00016.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 60
^^ N00b question -> its not a horizontal falt surface ( like in case
of CPU) but it having vertical fins.

Thats where the problem lies ;) how to stick with superglue on that surface?

any pic will be greatly appreciated.

@has33 -> hmm even with good fan OC isn't that great. Thanks for info.
will check out HR-05 surely

BTW i have a 8800GTS 320 which covers the SB and i noticed the bent
shape of hr-05 sli ... so question is can i install it too for my SB?

Also does SB really need cooling on XFX 650i mobo?

thanks a lot guys!

i have hr 05 sli on both chipsets on my xfx 650i ultra .. it fits fine.:) on northbridge its absolutely worth since i have given 1.5v to northbridge .. but on southbridge .. its bit of a overkill actually ..but i could not find a low profile cooler for it .. and it was way to hot to kept it without any cooling .. so its ur decision .. get a hr 05 sli with 80 mm fan for northbridge .. and if u could find any low profile heatsink for southbridge it will do .. otherwise u can get other hr 05 too ..

yogi7272 said:
i have hr 05 sli on both chipsets on my xfx 650i ultra .. it fits fine.:) on northbridge its absolutely worth since i have given 1.5v to northbridge .. but on southbridge .. its bit of a overkill actually ..but i could not find a low profile cooler for it .. and it was way to hot to kept it without any cooling .. so its ur decision .. get a hr 05 sli with 80 mm fan for northbridge .. and if u could find any low profile heatsink for southbridge it will do .. otherwise u can get other hr 05 too ..

May I know how U managed 2 give 1.5V to Ur NorthBridge ??? I don't seem 2 ve that option in my BIOS Version :p03

@dhiru, even I got a 8800GTS 320...infact mine's a Leadtek brand with a bigger cooler...it extended right 2 the front end. But HR-05 will fit without ne problem...fan would ve 2 be at the outside but I won't be putting ne as my CM Ammo's 120mm blue LED fan does the needful ;)

ok i have decided now, thanks to all you guys! :)

I will buy 2 HR-05 sli -> 1 for NB, other for SB

The NB one will be cooled by a 70mm or 80mm?? FAN ( please suggest a good one!)

@yogi -> you sure about 80mm fan because on site it says 70mm :huh:

@has33 -> thanks :)

Guys one more question -> the difference between sli and normal is only that the sli version is little bit bent. right?

dhirukholia said:
ok i have decided now, thanks to all you guys! :)

I will buy 2 HR-05 sli -> 1 for NB, other for SB

The NB one will be cooled by a 70mm or 80mm?? FAN ( please suggest a good one!)

@yogi -> you sure about 80mm fan because on site it says 70mm :huh:

@has33 -> thanks :)

Guys one more question -> the difference between sli and normal is only that the sli version is little bit bent. right?

yup u can buy gud cooler fan cause cool down the pc
go for 80 mm fan any model with color or stock ;)

r u serious ? just look carefully in bios options in voltage sections .. under nforce spp .. :rofl: .. also i am using hr 05 sli with 80mm fan ..

^^ @yogi -> thanks a lot for clarifying things!

Will add a 80mm LED fan to NB's HR-05 SLI ;)

If you are from mumbai, where can i get some cheap glacialtech/other 80mm LED fans.

( i already have a spare 80mm fan but its bland ) want to spice things a little bit!

Also the price is 1100/- from prime right?

i got 120 mm glacitech fans for 500 each ..from matrix 3d.. .. if ur interested in 80 mm then a friend of mine has few 80 mm led ones with four leds ..

Back