Video HDTV help

Hi ,

I was thinking of buying an hdtv.

I have selected one good TV from i.e samsung Bordeaux LA32R71B.

but i am having one doubt.

It is give that it supports 1080p i.e 1920*1080 resolution.

but in specification tab it is give max resolution as 1366(H) X 768(V).

wht does that mean? How can a TV having 1366(H) X 768(V) resolution supports 1080p.

well, acc to my knowledge LCDs have one native resolution. When they take a signal it is either upscaled or downscaled to fit the native resolution of the television. And sometimes, if the response is not fast enuff ghosting will occur as a result of this upscaling and downscaling.

So when they say that they support 1080p, it just means that they can take a signal coming in at that res. So it will be downscaled to fit 1366x768.

Also i dont think the model u mentioned supports 1080p. I think it supports 720p and 1080i, tho i cud be wrong.

There u go with the link -

SAMSUNG's Digital World - LCD TV | LA32R71

Like i said, only 720p and 1080i. 1080p wouldnt matter much at 32" neway. If u r looking for an alternative LA32N71B is a nice option. Altho its pricier by abt 15k. Its a newer panel and some say even beats the newer bravia panels. Plus it also has memory card slots (abt 9 types of cards supp) and 2 HDMI ports so u dont have to remove one source and attach the other.

in 1080i, 1080 is the resolution 1920(h)x1080(v) and 'i' is interlaced.

In the interlaced mode the display device draws alternate horizontal lines. So in case of 1080i the tv will draw 540 horizontal lines in one pass and the next set of 540 lines in the next pass giving the illusion of a complete picture. Current CRT tvs work in interlaced mode.

in 1080p ( p is for progressive) where all the lines are drawn in a single pass.

Thats about it.

U might wanna check out wikipedia if u r looking for more details

So, our crt monitor also work in interlaced mode.

I am using viewsonic G90fb 19'' CRT having max res of 1920*1440. Does this also

work in interlaced mode.

Ohh & as i was just finding more about 1080p i found that only DLP tv has res of 1920*1080.

btw how r DLP tv

no....crt monitors dont work in interlaced mode they are all progressive unless otherwise mentioned. In the mid to late 90s when pcs had only just started to build base in india there used to be monitors which supported 1024x768 only in interlaced mode. but thats a thing of the past.

DLPs are a type of rear projection televisions. These have light sorces at the back projecting the image to a larger screen (much like a crt which uses a cathode ray tube to project an image on to a larger screen) and hence are more in depth compared to normal LCD tvs . So the actual image is smaller and is blown up to show it on a larger screen. There was a thread abt a guy buying a sony bravia LCD rear projection tv somewhere in this forum. Neway these are cheaper as compared to LCD tvs of the same size (atleast LCD rear projection tvs are) and also come only in larger sizes (40" and above)

when LCD tvs show an image on a screen, the image is actually of that size. Therefore LCD tvs are more expensive to produce.

What u say abt DLPs being the only ones to support 1080p is not true. There are many LCD tvs available in the market now which have 1080p as their native resolution and support 1080p signals. But these are very expensive right now and are mostly available in sizes 40" and above.

Back