zapout

Disciple
Aug 16, 2009
New Delhi
Re: HDTV buying advice thread

adder said:
@zapout

Get the samsung D580

thanks dude but Samsung site doesn't specify panel type.

and i really want a IPS panel.

this one have IPS panel

"Panasonic Viera 32" LCD TV TH-L32U30D"

is this one good?

adder

Skilled
Jul 8, 2007

zapout said:
thanks dude but Samsung site doesn't specify panel type.
and i really want a IPS panel.
this one have IPS panel
"Panasonic Viera 32" LCD TV TH-L32U30D"
is this one good?
Well this tv mostly certainly has a SPVA panel.It has much higher contrast ratio then the panasonic or lg lcds.

Ever wonder why none of the panasonic or LG lcd ever win or considered the best lcd,its only the LG lcds with local dimming that are good since the local dimming helps overcome the native low contrast.

The IPS lcds without local dimming at best matches the contrast of tvs with VA panel of year 08.
Higher the contrast more perception of depth in the image.

Darthcoder

Mirko!
Skilled
Jan 27, 2005

Adder, I need a Non 3D LED TV.

The Samsung D6 Series TVs cost upwards of 75K.

Any recommendations in the range of 65K would be great.

I have seen the Bravia EX520 (40" LED) and liked it.

Going to see the Panasonic 4200E30D (42" LED) in the evening.

Any more recommendations for a NON 3D TV?

Also, is there any panel lottery system in Samsung or any other manufacturers?

I'll be watching lots of SD content (Cable) and sports FYI.

Thanks!

zapout

Disciple
Aug 16, 2009
New Delhi

adder said:
Well this tv mostly certainly has a SPVA panel.It has much higher contrast ratio then the panasonic or lg lcds.

Ever wonder why none of the panasonic or LG lcd ever win or considered the best lcd,its only the LG lcds with local dimming that are good since the local dimming helps overcome the native low contrast.

The IPS lcds without local dimming at best matches the contrast of tvs with VA panel of year 08.

Higher the contrast more perception of depth in the image.

thanks for explaining it to me.

Samsung it is then:D

adder

Skilled
Jul 8, 2007

There is a lottery in samsung,philips and some reports in lg.

The EX520 is good but in you said in the previous post you need multiple format support and you don't get that in the Sony economy,midrange and high end tvs,its only the base models such as BX series and CX420 series support all or most video formats.
If you are watching mostly SD conent then sony and samsung should be top of your list ,since their image processing are better.

The panasonic is only good in plasma not lcd/led.

Darthcoder

Mirko!
Skilled
Jan 27, 2005

Thanks for the reply adder.

I was told by the Dealer that a 42" of EX520 series is out in the market (although it doesnt have internet connectivity) and I am thinking of going for it (since my parents wont need much internet connectivity to the TV and USB playback support Issue is not that much of a problem as mostly SD content will be watched on the TV).

The only Issue now seems to be the less refresh rate (60Hz), I guess I will have to see for myself if

it makes that much of a difference. I will be going to the dealer with a football match in a USB drive and

will go and play it there to confirm.

The less refresh rate also means that playing a 360 or the PS3 on this TV will be a pain? Any idea?

Thanks for the replies adder! Much appreciated!!

asingh

Staff member
Super Mod
Jun 13, 2009
New Delhi

Do ask about the USB formats the EX520 supports native. I had got mine in April and it was useless as per USB formats. A friend picked up a model 2 weeks ago and they have increased the coverage. But matroska is still not there. Be specific in checking the manual or carrying formats on a stick. The sales/shopkeepers will BS till kingdom come -- as it is it is Diwali+sales season. Overall EX520 is good, I am satisfied with my 40" docked with a PS3/DTH stub/Media player.

Best.

Darthcoder

Mirko!
Skilled
Jan 27, 2005

Thanks a bunch asingh. Just wanted to confirm that due to the 60Hz refresh rate, did

you come across any problems viewing fast moving images on this tv?

The sales guy was boasting that it supports MKV but I doubt it.

I had played avi and xvid formats at the showroom and it played them.

Going there in the evening to check if it plays mkv too.

The dealer is not budging from the 64K asking price and is giving me an alarm clock

and some usb drive free with this for 64K although I would like to get it for somewhere

around 60K. Let me haggle and look around a few places to see if I can get it for any cheaper.

asingh

Staff member
Super Mod
Jun 13, 2009
New Delhi

Darthcoder said:
Thanks a bunch asingh.

The sales guy was boasting that it supports MKV but I doubt it.

I had played avi and xvid formats at the showroom and it played them.

Going there in the evening to check if it plays mkv too.

Sure let us know. :)

Darthcoder

Mirko!
Skilled
Jan 27, 2005

Alright, the TV that the sales guy was saying is same as the EX520 but a 42" version is actually the 42EX410.

The 520 is Xreality whereas the 410 is Bravia.

The comparo of the two tvs is here:

Compare LCD TVs : Choose your LCD TV : BRAVIA

Can anyone please suggest if there is any significant difference between these two tvs from the link

given above? (I am n00b so couldnt figure out significant differences except the fact that 410 has bravia

engine and 520 has xreality and that 410 is 42" and 520 is 40" :ashamed:).

Any help would be appreciated!!

adder

Skilled
Jul 8, 2007

@Darthcoder
The 42EX410 is a new model its mostly certainly using the 42" panel from AU optronics based on the AMVA tech.I guess sony wanted to tap the customer moving to lg and philips and plasma who just buy them primarly because of the 2" extra space.

I haven't seen this tv yet,infact i heard the news from you.

The X-reality based tvs have better upscaler and de interlacer its doesn't even have a heatsink doesn't play MKV and doesn't support NTFS(marketing decision),where as the older BE3 which has a huge heatsink plays more video formats(BE3 2011 tvs play more formats then BE3 2010 tvs) but is inferior to the X-reality processor

asingh

Staff member
Super Mod
Jun 13, 2009
New Delhi

I would go with the X-Reality engine in there. But now you gotta choose the size you want + formats vs. the render capability + 2" less of real estate....!

:)

max_demon

@maxdemon
Adept
Dec 22, 2007
Nagpur
www.desiphotographers.com

1. Budget- 100K Max

2. Viewing distance-16 ft (higher screen size preferred)

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.- Apple TV, PS3, DTH, BD player, and maybe a HD Streamer

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.- LED preferable

5. Preference for brands- all except LG

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? Yes, no issues with that.

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room.- window on the left

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.- No 3D, I can't see 3d

Darthcoder

Mirko!
Skilled
Jan 27, 2005

Thanks guys, going with the EX520. 2" less real estate isnt that much of a problem

and as I'd like to go with the latest picture processing engine, I'll go with the X-Reality.

Format support isnt that much of a concern as I will be buying a WD Hub anyways.

Thanks once again for your help guys!!

Now the haggling for the best deal begins :)

Pernicious

Disciple
Nov 26, 2010

Darthcoder said:
Alright, the TV that the sales guy was saying is same as the EX520 but a 42" version is actually the 42EX410.

Can anyone please suggest if there is any significant difference between these two tvs from the link

given above? (I am n00b so couldnt figure out significant differences except the fact that 410 has bravia

engine and 520 has xreality and that 410 is 42" and 520 is 40" :ashamed:).

Okay, I have got the EX520 46" from BangKoK 15 days back. It's a very nice TV. Does not play MKV. Even the Sony Blu-ray Player BDP-S380 which natively supports mkv, does not play all the mkv files! lol. Anyway, about EX410, it's a cheaper version of LED introduced by Sony. I think this is a low/inferior quality TV. I checked Power Buy(like croma of BKK) and there it was written response time of this TV EX410 as 4ms, while of EX520 was 1ms. I checked 2012 full hd blu-ray playing on that LED EX410 the movements were visible. I found motion visible. Not personally recommended. Though the salespersons said that everything was same apart from it's not an internet tv and no X-reality. But one sales guy did say it's slower.

BoRNTeRRI3T

Disciple
Feb 10, 2011

After reading this thread , i have got 32" inch 520 series, its really good , its great Got it today

@ asingh, ur comments was really helpful for making my decision , also Teians for commenst and suggestion

mixke

Disciple
Jan 7, 2010

Went through some of previous pages, nice informative posts guys :)

So I understand there is panel lottery thing with Samsung TVs. Is this applicable to Samsung LEDs also? (32D5000 or 32D5900). Any way to ensure I get SPVA panel which you guys are suggesting to be better than others?

I'm really unable to decide between Samsung LED (32D5000/32D5900) and Sony LED (EX520). Price difference will be of 9k. I don't think I need multiple format support through USB for LED as I'll connect screen to PS3/media player so that is not a concern.

jhononweed

Disciple
Jul 24, 2011
- ve RAIM

Prenicious

Originally Posted by Darthcoder

engine and 520 has xreality and that 410 is 42" and 520 is 40" ).

Okay, I have got the EX520 46" from BangKoK 15 days back. It's a very nice TV. Does not play MKV. Even the Sony Blu-ray Player BDP-S380 which natively supports mkv, does not play all the mkv files! lol. Anyway, about EX410, it's a cheaper version of LED introduced by Sony. I think this is a low/inferior quality TV. I checked Power Buy(like croma of BKK) and there it was written response time of this TV EX410 as 4ms, while of EX520 was 1ms. I checked 2012 full hd blu-ray playing on that LED EX410 the movements were visible. I found motion visible. Not personally recommended. Though the salespersons said that everything was same apart from it's not an internet tv and no X-reality. But one sales guy did say it's slower.

What was the cost of your set and custom obligations....would be helpful if you can tell me were to buy it in Bangkok... i am going to get 2 sets of 40EX520..so need to be vary about Indian Customs & Duties to be paid.

asingh

Staff member
Super Mod
Jun 13, 2009
New Delhi

Darthcoder said:
Thanks guys, going with the EX520. 2" less real estate isnt that much of a problem

and as I'd like to go with the latest picture processing engine, I'll go with the X-Reality.

Format support isnt that much of a concern as I will be buying a WD Hub anyways.

Thanks once again for your help guys!!

Now the haggling for the best deal begins :)

Great buy. Welcome to the club. I had gotten this TV after some PM discussion with our Gun Master - Gannu saar...! :) He was quite crystal and honest when recommending this to me way back before the WC Cricket final...! :) I am thoroughly loving it.

As a side note, if you wall mount buy extra HDMI cables and fill them at the back before mounting. Quite a PITA removing it. Just roll the extra attached cabled behind the thin panel. Enjoy. Happy viewing.
BoRNTeRRI3T said:
After reading this thread , i have got 32" inch 520 series, its really good , its great Got it today

@ asingh, ur comments was really helpful for making my decision , also Teians for commenst and suggestion

Great.. Always read to help friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.