Storage Solutions [HDD TROUBLE] All the folders showing up as shortcuts

m-jeri

A Nobody.
Skilled
Hi All,

Suddenly all the folders in my external HDD shows up as shortcuts.

All the folder got a property similar to this "%windir%\system32\cmd.exe /C start "" "H:\XXXXX\" && start "" "9a423bf_l.exe""

There is a Autorun.inf file also. with the entry as

[autorun]
open=9a423bf_a.exe

I check the web, and found a solution as running a command like attrib -h .. something. It fixed the problem. but the shortcuts were still there. I deleted it and reconnected the HDD. Its back again.

Its a internal HDD with dock.

Any help??

m-J

I smell the evil autorun virus,my pc had it too,not the same symptoms but the only solution i ever found was to reformat and reinstall windows.

Yup, its the autorun virus. Here are some solutions.

Open command prompt type attrib -h -r -s /s /d [driveletter]:\*. Change the drive letter in the letter that is your hard drive. From your post it seems like you already tried this.

Try using Autorun exterminator to remove the virus.

Try downloading Malewarebytes and scanning the drive.

I only got this is one external HDD. not the main drive?

Can i still connect other HDD's?
@nanoneo.

Already tried all those.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah thought so, some of those autorun viruses are bloody stubborn. Most antivurs programs are able to clean them up, but it think they also tend to delete the data.

Also, it will infect any external hdd/pendrive/card that you plugin.

If you have removed the malware by removing the autorun.INF file and its related files no need to worry.

First go to command console and check if the files are renamed by the malware to xxxx.lnk. If a file has an .LNK extension then windows assumes it as a shortcut. So if you rename these files using a batch rename software ( tons of freewares are available in the WEB), then your PC will be fine.

9a423bf_l.exe is the culprit. Try to remove it by downloading

http://download.sysinternals.com/files/Autoruns.zip

remove suspected entries and the file from the startup...

Use antivirus software to stay away from malwares and viruses...

Hope this helps...

also try to delete system restore points (if any). and when you are sure that your system is no more infected turn on the Restore points.

Back