Graphic Cards HD6850 Crashing! Help Required!

ragzdiablo

Skilled
Guys, My HD 6850 is crashing randomly..
forcing me into a restart!

The temps are perfect and running on 11.3(same thing in 11.2 also)
Was running for last one month..but having this problem since last 2 days.

It doesnt happen on load, crashes when im on desktop, or browsing.

I havent OC'ed at all.
Running on a Gigabyte superb 460, that should be a problem i think.

Its bugging me out!Is my GPU faulty? :(
Please advice what to do.
TIA :)

Either the PSU or the buggy Catalyst Driver, the 11.3 is notorious. I've not upped from the 11.1 till now and its perfectly fine, try to get a more powerful PSU from a friend and try to rig up your card to his system and check it out, if system stops crashing then its PSU otherwise... you know drivers.

Hope this helped, I still think its the drivers which are to blame and only 30% chance that it is the PSU but never hurts to check right.

I have reinstalled the catalyst a couple of times.

the 11.2 was stable for me since last 1 month, but when this problem occurred i upgraded to 11.3.

I dont think the PSU is a problem, because it doesnt crash even after 4 hours of crysis 2.. :D

Right now, i have lowered the mem clock from 1000 to 900. a possible solution maybe!?(google)

If it crashes again, will do a clean install of 11.1

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

DarkAngel said:
I missed the 9 fans that you have when you PMed! :ashamed:

Even considering that PSUlite says

Minimum PSU Wattage: 373 W

Recommended PSU Wattage: 423 W

• PhenomII X4 955BE
  • Normal Mobo
  • 2 DDR3 RAM STICKS
  • HD6850
  • 1 HDD
  • 1 DVD R/W
  • 9 120mm LED fans
  • Capacitor Ageing : 15%

eXtreme Outer Vision - eXtreme tools for computer enthusiasts
Thanks sir!

The gigabyte superb 460 is a 400w PSU, with peak load capacity of 460w, you would be knowing that.

Should i change my PSU?

Still cant figure out why it works perfect of full load. and crashes while idling :S

ragzdiablo said:
I have reinstalled the catalyst a couple of times.
the 11.2 was stable for me since last 1 month, but when this problem occurred i upgraded to 11.3.

I dont think the PSU is a problem, because it doesnt crash even after 4 hours of crysis 2.. :D

Right now, i have lowered the mem clock from 1000 to 900. a possible solution maybe!?(google)
If it crashes again, will do a clean install of 11.1

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Thanks sir!
The gigabyte superb 460 is a 400w PSU, with peak load capacity of 460w, you would be knowing that.
Should i change my PSU?

Still cant figure out why it works perfect of full load. and crashes while idling :S
Yeah i know its a 400w unit. If it works fine @ full load then the PSU should be fine, right? But for trouble shooting try to get a friend's PSU and test the rig.

ATI power play is playing with you.. :p

you can disable it in registry ... are you using any programs like afterburner to monitor your card ?

If so thats your problem . Dont use them and see if you crash !.. look up power play problems on google tons of stuff :)

cheers and kind regards!

Psu is definitely not prob. I am also using sapphire 6850, CM hyper tx3,athlon x4 b40 @ 3.7ghz, 4gb ddr2 800mhz ram, 4 led fans, seagate 1tb hdd+500gb seagate hdd, dvd writer etc... I haven't experienced any crashes yet . Using this config from December 2010. Check for all driver updates for your system. Its not necessary that ati drivers are bad. They more stable these days than they were a few years ago

i am facing a similar problem. games are freezing and then stop responding.
running my card on vx450. it started after update to 11.3. :(

Im back to catalyst 11.1 and running on 900 mem clock..

the random freeze aint a problem now, but still my driver crashes and then comes back after 2 mins.. :S

Back