CPU/Mobo Haswell Components India Availability & Pricing

Are AMD processors still competitive for good gaming machines at lower prices ?

YES .... check out the latest A10-6700 or 6800k (hopefully it will be available on India soon). The integrated iGPU Radeon HD 8670D is very powerful & beats Haswell's HD4600 hollow.

YES .... check out the latest A10-6700 or 6800k (hopefully it will be available on India soon). The integrated iGPU Radeon HD 8670D is very powerful & beats Haswell's HD4600 hollow.

Thanks for replying. I'm not updated with the CPU - MoBo scene for the last couple of years. Although, I'm not much worried about the on-board GPU, how do they perform in terms of raw processing power ?

how do they perform in terms of raw processing power ?

To process what, exactly?

I can't think of a single application where you will notice a difference between say a 8350k and a 4470k if you don't use a timer every second or have a benchmark running.

Real life is very different from a chart on a page. Yes, Intel does rule the charts and yes, if you really need a certain level of single threaded performance the Intel solution does win. But for 99% of users, even a Core i3 or AMD 'hex' core/A10 is sufficient for daily tasks.

When it comes to gaming, the old rule hasn't changed - get a big-ass GPU and max out as many settings as possible. The GPU will be obsolete in six months anyway, so may as well squeeze as much out of it as possible.

To process what, exactly?

I can't think of a single application where you will notice a difference between say a 8350k and a 4470k if you don't use a timer every second or have a benchmark running.

Real life is very different from a chart on a page. Yes, Intel does rule the charts and yes, if you really need a certain level of single threaded performance the Intel solution does win. But for 99% of users, even a Core i3 or AMD 'hex' core/A10 is sufficient for daily tasks.

When it comes to gaming, the old rule hasn't changed - get a big-ass GPU and max out as many settings as possible. The GPU will be obsolete in six months anyway, so may as well squeeze as much out of it as possible.

Thanks cranky. I am concerned about the gaming performances with a mid-high level GPU like Radeon7870/ GTX770. Last I knew, AMD provided significant higher value per price for CPUs <$200 . It seems to me from your post that that hasn't changed much. :)

..... The GPU will be obsolete in six months anyway, so may as well squeeze as much out of it as possible.

:eek: Now this is BREAKING noose. It's gonna give nightmares :nailbiting: to scores of blokes on TE who have spent a fortune on their GPU's and those who have SLIed em.

circa 2014 & the Death of the GPU !!!

You heard it first on TE.:cat:

EDIT: Intel vs AMD the iGPU wars [currently Radeon 8670 vs Intel HD 4600 ]
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7032/...ll-gpu-on-the-desktop-radeon-hd-8670d-hd-4600
http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/inde...eon-hd-8670m-vs-intel-hd-graphics-4600-mobile
http://wccftech.com/intel-hd-4600-graphics/
http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/news/article.php?storyid=6871

So maybe on mobile devices (incl laptops)/AIO's/HTPC builds the iGPU will do it's job (where it matches entry/mid level GPU's. But elsewhere I do not see the GPU getting obsolete at least for another 6 years (that circa 2019) :D

I think it's about time my posts were read properly before being misconstrued for something totally different. Both of them. The secnd was a question of what prompted that long and vehement response.

Yes, @terence_fdes I did mean that given we get new GPU families after about six months of launch and both nV and AMD are on annual upgrade cycles, six months is the expected life of a GPU before obsolescence. I am not an idiot to state that the category of GPUs would be obsolete in six months, as you may have assumed I am.

Unsubscribed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry, cranky meant the gpu that you would buy now would be obsolete in about 6 months. Ex. A hd7xxx bought now will be obsolete in around 6 months time since something better would have come from AMD then.
Nowhere did he say that gpu's as a whole would be gone for good.

I think Terry knows that and was just cranking cranky's chain...

Ahh the weather yesterday was "too tempting" and I was not exactly in a cantankerous mood :singing: , nevertheless and where else could I have cranked up things than with good 'ol @cranky ...... so 'mea culpa' and the next time the heavens pour down 6684 gpu cores of 'rain' :eek: you can hop over my place for some "rare home-made wine" and mebbe we will come up with a new GPU to beat da hell outa nV & AMD :D

Amen

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as the 3570k became the hottest selling Ivybridge processor owing to it's affordability,
the 4670k is emerging as the 'sweet-spot' for Haswell (as compared to the uber priced 4770k).

Check out this excellent review

Price ~ 16700/-

Cranky, actually my 6970 lasted me around 2 years. Yes, there was new tech that came, but all games were playable at almost the highest settings. What I am trying to say is that any top end GPU will hold you in good steed for atleast 2 years. So buy on that basis. SKip one generation every time you buy and you will be fine.

^^ I didn't mean you can't use it. I meant it would be obsoleted. Just as new cars obsolete old ones - though it doesn't mean you simply throw away your old car.

I have 2x6970s and know that I'm almost two generations behind in performance. Do I care? Not really, all the games I play are playable at very high or Ultra settings even on my 2560x monitor. The point is that cards at a similar price today will offer 2x the performance if not more, and with less power consumption. I still don't need the headroom or am able to afford it, but it's nice to know that cards that cost a fortune two years ago are simply no longer relevant.

..... What I am trying to say is that any top end GPU will hold you in good steed for atleast 2 years. So buy on that basis. SKip one generation every time you buy and you will be fine.

True.

Although rule not applicable to hard-core gamers who always want the latest aka 'i-phone' users too who are never at rest whenever a new model is launched.[DOUBLEPOST=1371797484][/DOUBLEPOST]
^^ .... but it's nice to know that cards that cost a fortune two years ago are simply no longer relevant.

Pray "how is it nice to know" ? To me it's more like a 'miserable feeling' and this is repeated over and over again.

I just went Ivy Bridge last year in Oct from the C2D days.. with these prices on Haswell.. I really don't see myself shifting just yet

Then again, there's the lovely Rupee @ 60 situation to add to our woes +1 on VOTE for change come the next election!

Back