Storage Solutions hard disk problem ?

when i am trying to transfer files from a friend's 40 GB hard disk to my pc it is taking around 65 mins. to transfer 4 GB.i have a amd 2000+ and 512 MB RAM
Is there a problem with the hard disk the transfer rate is very slow for some reason.

techmaster said:
no they are not on the same ide cable.one is primary master other is secondory slave.
Why is the other hdd connectd as secondary slave ??, do you have a optical drive connected on that channel as secondary master ??

if so then the hdd will work at the speed of the slowest device on that channel i.e. that of optical drive.

deejay said:
Why is the other hdd connectd as secondary slave ??, do you have a optical drive connected on that channel as secondary master ??
if so then the hdd will work at the speed of the slowest device on that channel i.e. that of optical drive.

ya i think that's what had happened the transfer mode was set to PIO as a result of which transfer was going at a low speed enabled it to DMA mode if avaliable and is working fine.
Thanks for the help.

are you accessing anything on that HD (e.g. opening files), is it a REALLY old and dying HD,

check to see if you have too much stuff in the background, also check to see if it been defraged

how old is the computer?

edit://Opps sorry missed the answer section

are you accessing anything on that HD (e.g. opening files), is it a REALLY old and dying HD,

check to see if you have too much stuff in the background, also check to see if it been defraged

how old is the computer?

Query is solved, why are you digging up old threads ?

Back