hang[Over] and over again....

pr.itdude

Disciple
May 27, 2009
Hi guyz....

Since Past few days, my desktop has started irritating me by frequent "hangs". It started with hanging after 5 minutes of the system startup....but now it hangs frequently while no bulky process running. It hangs even while net surfing. Though resumes quickly but its annoying me... :S :(

Here is a quick config :

Intel P4 3.0

2GB DDRII 800 MHz RAM - kingston

Mercury motherboard

WD 500 GB HD.

Windows XP SP2 + [Edit:] RedHat (RHEL 5.2)

Thats enough i guess....

One thing i would....||*sh!t it just hanged* || like to ask u :

Does a bad sector in Hard Disk can cause this ??

Also, i was unable to format and install xp last time with the cd, (the black screen problem = and went unresolved) so i just restored the backup with Norton Ghost ;)

jugaad1

Disciple
Jul 17, 2007
Most probable reasons: A dying processoror a dying PSU,
Use ur bios to monitor processor temps and PSU Voltages. I have been facing a similar problem, and hope a PSU change will fix that !

pr.itdude

Disciple
May 27, 2009
Dying.......?? In just 3 yrs...

I check the CPU temp....its normal !! I suspect some hard drive glitches....is it possible ?

Rivunited

Adept
Aug 13, 2006
Mumbai
it could be the hard drive...but how much do u mean by normal? what is the temp range of all the system components?

if everything else is in working order then its likely that it could be your hard drive. Does your hard drive have a lot of bad sectors?

pr.itdude

Disciple
May 27, 2009
The hard drive is WD nearly 8 months old and i was unable to format it for fresh windows installation and due to lack of time i just did a restoration.....

The CPU temp is b/w 60-65 deg C.

I also did a memtest and it resulted OK.

How to check every component.......?? What should i check.....

iamnew

Adept
Feb 22, 2009
I had the same problem some time ago.I swapped the power connector of hard drive with that of dvd writer.the hanging stopped.it was caused by a faulty psu.

pr.itdude

Disciple
May 27, 2009
Did a chkdsk, and now its working quite smoothly, but still not that it supposed to.

Moreover, the CMOS date/time reset problem is not resolved, after changing battery too.....

i think dying PSU may also cause this ?? is it......

guide me...how i can check my PSU, whether its OK or need a change.

Btw, its Intex 450W.

(and fyi, i m not a hardware junkie ;) )

xperts

Disciple
Jun 28, 2010
Check for the antivirus.. it might cause the same while running on background.. I faced the same issue with symmantec antivirus taking loads of my cpu while running in background and kills the performance..

pr.itdude

Disciple
May 27, 2009
I supspect the same....

Checked CPU temp in BIOS: 65-70 deg C

Checked after booting using SpeedFan : 75-80 deg C

after constantly monitoring the Temp, found it shook upto 100 deg C. (during CPU usage 100%)

Also, fan1 is working sometimes, and sometimes not, though dont know which fan it is.

There are some Voltages readings also like this.... (if you need them, i can post them too...)

Now Problem No. 2:

I wanted to make a fresh xp installation, but again the problem of "Black Screen" comes out. After booting from the CD, and then "system is inspecting your computer hardware configuration" (something like this) the screen goes Black and nothing happens after that.....tried several times and used several tools to check the problem but no result.

What i am missing.....plz help me out !!

kif

Disciple
Jun 20, 2010
Hyderabad
I guess XP Cds has written in low speed which create problem for "Black Screen", try to install using USB it will be quick

xperts

Disciple
Jun 28, 2010
Check the heatsinc, if its fixed properly.. If that is not connected the temp may go up to 100 deg... Dismantle everything and assemble it once again.. Check for the heatsinc paste and apply that gently again... I am sure that because of this high temperature, the paste might have burned...

pr.itdude

Disciple
May 27, 2009
^^ Thinking same i did that in morning....wiped off everything and applied the paste again n properly fitted the heatsink. Did this in the morning.
When i checked temp in afternoon, it was normal around 40-45 deg C.
But now after running the system for half an hour, i just checked the temp, its again varying between 50~70 deg C (70 when CPU usage is 100 % )
I am attaching the screenshot of the data shown by the SpeedFan tool.....everything is here :

View attachment 11069

Attachments

• speedfan.JPG
    speedfan.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 57

xperts

Disciple
Jun 28, 2010
Have a check again on your fans and make sure that they are functioning properly. You also need to evaluate the vent and check the airflow directions. make sure fans are blowing the air to the processor and have one fan for blow out for exhaust..You can also try changing the slots of your PCI card. And if u have a ribbon cable blocking the airflow, change that placement.