Graphic Cards Guyz HD6970 on 550VX

Guyz,

Suggestions needed..

Have a 550VX thinking of upgrading it...but can only do i thing upgrade card or upgrade PSU..

But, I wanna upgrade the card.

Anyways, rig is in the Signature

My i7 920 takes 150w max at full load i mean at full stress ( linX , prime )

So will the psu be able to run 6970 with this...

Corsair suggesting VX 550 .. ( when i put i7 900 series and GTX 580/ 5900 series with 2 HDD )

Or, can anyone tell the max capacity of the 550VX

like the 750HX can push till 910W ...

Thanks Guyz

Dragon Hunter

Although you will probably scrape through for the next 6-12 months or perhaps even longer with a brand new VX 550.

If I were you I wouldn't use anything less than a TX650/750 for such a setup and would recommend an AX 750 or VX 850 plus keeping in mind future upgradability and 100% security with some buffer.

You always have suprises bro .... :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

rite said:
Although you will probably scrape through for the next 6-12 months or perhaps even longer with a brand new VX 550.

If I were you I wouldn't use anything less than a TX650/750 for such a setup and would recommend an AX 750 or VX 850 plus keeping in mind future upgradability and 100% security with some buffer.
I have the VX550 not buying a new one...

and what is vx850 exactly ???

Corsair VX 550W is sufficient for both 6970 & GTX 580.During gaming,ur i7 920 should be well within its TDP and u have a healthy extra 300W for GPU.Even GTX 580 peaks only ~230W during gaming.Since ur PSU is corsair,u can trust it fully.I have overclocked a 8800 Ultra in a C2Q PC with a Corsair VX 450W PSU.So ur 550W could even handle a power hungry GTX 480 since it has 41A on the +12V rail.Moreover,VX 550W has 5 years warranty.No problems for ur power dept bro :)

i believe that going for a better power supply or in this case a higher rated power supply makes sense. the TX series should do nicely. It leaves room for further expansion as well.

Corsair 550VX is more than enough even under extreme over-clocking. Guru3d's recommendation is always extremely conservative because most power supplies rated at 500 W blow up at 300 W!

unixguru said:
Corsair 550VX is more than enough even under extreme over-clocking. Guru3d's recommendation is always extremely conservative because most power supplies rated at 500 W blow up at 300 W!
Wrong.

When a western website rates 500W, they assume the norm to be Antec, Coolermaster, Seasonic etc which are just slightly below Antec. So if they say 500 watts, you are better off having at least slightly extra or at least as much no matter if the brand is Corsair or even Shuttle.

I am not saying that it won't run on a VX550, but in the long run, it isn't a risk worth taking. Your PSU will easily sell for 3k or so and you can invest another 3-4k and get a significantly better PSU which won't face a sweat with your system, at least your current rig.

+1 with rite..

My rig with a 580 will run on a vx550 properly..

But if I overclock then there will be a major issue..

bcz i have 3x 140mm and 2x 120mm , xonar , dvdrw , hdd which all takes current....

so i think i will go for a better psu before upgrading the gpu...

and since my vx550 is only 4months i should get a good bargain...

??

He is going to be under 550w, most likely even in the most extreme game with overclocks he wont cross 450w I dont see any reason to spend money. And there is absolutely no risk in running it in the long run.

I say get the card and run your games, if it shuts of (the system will shut off due to psu overload if that happens) you will know your psu cant keep up and you need a bigger one.

thats risky ....and i wont take that risk...

my psu can overload upto 600w i think dont know for sure...

See, i have a 5870 and its capable of running most games smoothly at high graphics so gfx card not that much of a bother but still....

since everyone buying....thats why :p

If I were you I would get a HX/AX 850 and rest in peace for the next 2+ years, at least unless you plan on SLI/CF of the next gen (ATI 7 or Nvidia 6) series cards!

dragon hunter said:
thats risky ....and i wont take that risk...

my psu can overload upto 600w i think dont know for sure...

See, i have a 5870 and its capable of running most games smoothly at high graphics so gfx card not that much of a bother but still....

since everyone buying....thats why :p
If that is your LAME reason to upgrade atleast wait for the ATi HD 7*** series or Nvidia 6** series

Back