GuruPlug - A Download box, NAS, Web Server, what not?

varkey

Skilled
A new version of the Plug Computer has come out - GuruPlug, and has some great features

• 1.2Ghz Processor
  • eSata
  • Bluetooth
  • Wifi
  • 2 Gigabit Ethernet Ports
  • Micro SD Port
  • 512 MB RAM

This looks like an awesome solution for a download server, NAS, homeserver and uses less than 5 watts. And the price for the GuruServer Plus version is only $129.

So guys what do you think of this awesome device?

More details here - GuruPlug Server

You can directly order it from GlobalScape. If you order two, the total cost will come to around $307 shipped by Fedex ie ~ Rs 7000 per plug. :D

Finally ordered two GuruPlug Server Plus version for $302.6 incl 3 Day Fedex Priority Shipping. So it comes to about 6.6k per plug if I get it duty free. :p

They said it will start shipping by late April :)

varkey said:
Finally ordered two GuruPlug Server Plus version for $302.6 incl 3 Day Fedex Priority Shipping. So it comes to about 6.6k per plug if I get it duty free. :p

They said it will start shipping by late April :)

write a review on it.

SumitB said:
varkey, I would be interested in one of the pieces you ordered if in case you want to sell one off.

I ordered it for my friend, anyway will you know if he changes his mind later. :)

d@rK nEmEsIs said:
write a review on it.

Will try to write one once I get it :)

It's better to build your own NAS/WebServer/ Download Box with minimum 512MB RAM, 1.0 GHz processor and any board that supports Sata's (for RAID).

I am experimenting on this, I have a old system lying around will use it with a couple of HDD's and use "FREENAS" < you can download Torrent's directly on this

seacritter said:
Mine just came in last week... It's pretty sweet... It runs on Debian, and quick...

How's it? Do you have any issues when connected to a Gigabit network?
aasimenator said:
It's better to build your own NAS/WebServer/ Download Box with minimum 512MB RAM, 1.0 GHz processor and any board that supports Sata's (for RAID).

I am experimenting on this, I have a old system lying around will use it with a couple of HDD's and use "FREENAS" < you can download Torrent's directly on this
One advantage here would be the <5w power consumption and its compact. This supports Port Multiplier too so you can connect multiple hard disks through a Port Multiplier via eSata.

dheerajjotwani said:
mine in mail... will keep this thread posted !
When did you place your order? Was it shipped? Due to the heating issues they have made many significant changes to the Guruplug. Now it has an external PSU, and few other changes. The redesigned version will start shipping in mid July. They'll be sending me a replacement once its ready. :)

varkey said:
When did you place your order? Was it shipped? Due to the heating issues they have made many significant changes to the Guruplug. Now it has an external PSU, and few other changes. The redesigned version will start shipping in mid July. They'll be sending me a replacement once its ready. :)
well i have ordered the proven sheevaplug... the tonido variant to be particular. i have been religiously following the forum on guruplug and there seems to be no mention of the issue you've had... so you mean you got yours and it went kaput?

edit: just read in detail... yeah heating issues on the guruplug

Oh ok. How much did it cost shipped?

The heating issue is a common problem affecting almost all GuruPlugs. It hasn't stopped working, but heats up a lot especially when connected to a Gigabit network.

yeah it is related to the over utilisation of energy by gbit n/w and wifi... well the tonido costed me close to 9k... it should be here before the end of the month...

varkey said:
Oh ok. How much did it cost shipped?

The heating issue is a common problem affecting almost all GuruPlugs. It hasn't stopped working, but heats up a lot especially when connected to a Gigabit network.
What is getting heated up? The chip on the board? Open up the casing and see if you can put a ghetto heatsink on top of it.

Back