[Guide] Troubleshooting,tips on setting up a network

digen

Disciple
P.S:Mistakingly I posted this here in this section.MODS may as well move it under the appropriate section.Sorry for the trouble. :)

Down below i've listed common networking problems,troubleshooting methods & tips that I experienced when I was setting up a network.Its virtually impossible to list & solve problems involved in networking or any subject for that matter I've tried to stick to the basics.
Hardware:
Cable: Make sure you have the right cable.For a P2P[Peer 2 Peer] between 2 computers a CAT5 crossover cable is used & for computers connecting to a hub/switch a different kind of cable called as straight cable or patch cable is used.A crossover cable is also used to connect hubs together.

For a detailed explanation for making CAT5 Crossover/Straight Cable have a glance here:
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/cat5_ca...m#makecrossover

Network Interface Card[NIC]: Check whether the light situated on the NIC guide plate is glowing after you put in the cable.Make sure you have installed the correct drivers.Check whether there arent any conflicts through the device manager.

My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager
Make sure there isnt any yello exclamation adhering to the Network Adapter.Also check for IRQ conflicts under the resources tab of the network adapters properties.
Software:
For computers to talk with each other they need set of rules called as "protocols".The most commonly used protocol for networking is the TCP/IP protocol.But you can use the NetBEUI protocol too.Make sure you have the right set of protocols installed for communication to take place between two or more disparate hosts.
For a basic network the below three are generally installed but there may be more depending upon how & what the network may be used for.
1.Client for Microsoft Networks
2.TCP/IP
2.File & Printer Sharing services
The point to be noted here is that for two hosts to communicate they need the same sets of protocols properly installed [not that disparaty cant take place but there are very few exceptions].

You could also use NetBEUI instead of TCP/IP for a network but NetBEUI isnt a routable protocol.Hence if you segment your existing network anytime in future then I suggest you better stick with TCP/IP.Incase you decide to go with NetBEUI & you have Windows XP at the client OS then it is not present by default.It has to be manually installed.
For a manual installation procedure refer to the url below:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...;301041&sd=tech

If you have a network setup but still cant get computers to see each other then first
1.Check if each host has been configured to get a IP address either from a DHCP[Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol] server or has been statically ***igned a IP address.
You can make sure by issuing the ipconfig command in 2000/XP,
Start>Run>cmd>ipconfig/all
Also play around with various sets of commands by giving the "ipconfig/?" command at the prompt.Like say the host isnt getting ***igned a IP from the DHCP server,
you could try releasing & renewing the IP for that particular host.
c:>ipconfig/release
c:>ipconfig/renew

2.Ping- is a very useful tool when it comes to testing connectivity not just locally but remotely too.Check the connectivity between hosts with
ping "IP address" at the run prompt.
example: ping 192.168.0.1

3.Turn off the firewalls:People tend to forget this aspect when networking in a LAN.You could either disable it or add a new network under the firewall settings with the required parameters.
Also make sure the ICF[Internet Connection Firewall] is disable for your LAN connection.You can do this by unchecking the check-box under the connections properties.

4.Sharing Resources: After the network has been configured make sure you share some resources to get the network going i.e folders,drives,printers..

Event Viewer:The event viewer is the most under-determined tool I've found w.r.t networking issues.It gives a wealth of info for any mishap that may have caused a abrupt halt on your network.
You can go to the event viewer by issuing "eventvwr" at the run prompt.Check for errors under the application as well as the system branches.There are two ways to go about solving it.

1.Once you open the error properties,under the description window there is always a link such as http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. After clicking on the link you are prompted with a new window asking you whether you want to send the following info across the internet,click yes.The Help & support windows pops up displaying the minute details of the error & the way to troubleshoot it.
This is what I consider the most powerful tool for troubleshooting not only network related errors but many other too.

2.Even if this doesnt solve the problem then check www.eventid.net for more regarding event error issues.

Tip: Map shared drives & resources for easier access.
First you can either search for computers from the windows Find or at the run prompt
Ip Address or Computer Name
After the shared resources of that computer show up you can map them to a specified drive letter by right clicking them & clicking on "Map Network Drive",then assign a peculiar srive letter.

Thats it for now I'll add more stuff as & when I stumble across it hands on.

Back