[Guide Required] Full Frame Camera for Astrophotography, normal stuff and webcam

princeoo7

On a Journey called Life :P
Skilled
I was looking to buy a mirror less camera so though of Sony ZV-E10. But as this way out of stock and is an cropped sensor, not getting back in stock, I was looking for other options.
Sony A7iii was something I though of getting but the limit of recording is a big not not for me.
Sony A7C can be an option but then Sony A7iV is better deal and is latest stuff. So I though of skipping A7C totally.

So now if I go for Sony A7iV it would cost me 2.3L for body and 2.43L for body + kit via amazon.
as the title states I wish to do Astrophotography, normal images and videos and use it as my webcam for livestream or recording videos.

1) What lens should I get for Astrophotography ?
2) What motor to get for that matches camera rotation to earths rotation for longer exposes (in india)
3) Does getting camera on no cost emi makes sense (just general question) or get it in cash ?

You need a powerful lens with a fast aperture and a high-quality tripod. The Sony A7iV comes with a 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS lens, i Guess this will work for astrophotography, but if you want the best photos possible. I recommend you buy a new lens with a faster aperture. The reason you want a fast aperture is that this allows more light to enter your lens. You want to absorb the most light possible since the night is very dark. A slower aperture will cause your photo to be underexposed or noisy – if you compensate with extra ISO. You also want your new lens to be wide-angle. A wide-angle lens allows you to increase shutter speed without needing to worry as much about star trails as much. Sometimes, people photograph star trails on purpose, but in this case, those are something we don’t want. This is important because a higher shutter speed takes in a greater amount of light. Finally, you want a lens with a manual focus indicator. To focus on the stars, you must focus on infinity. This is easier to do using a manual focus indicator, but it’s not impossible to focus on infinity without one.
Number 2 Question is not clear to me ? if you can Elaborate ..

A74 is solid for both images and videos. You will also need good memory cards, tripod, camera bag, nd filters, extra batteries, quick release system etc.
I have used no cost emi and found that It costs about 700 extra over one year to repay an amount of about 70k. So, for 2.5 lakh, it should be near 2-3k extra plus any extra fees by your bank.

A74 is solid for both images and videos. You will also need good memory cards, tripod, camera bag, nd filters, extra batteries, quick release system etc.
I have used no cost emi and found that It costs about 700 extra over one year to repay an amount of about 70k. So, for 2.5 lakh, it should be near 2-3k extra plus any extra fees by your bank.
Interest is paid upfront and is discounted to me. If I calculate the tenue and emi, it matches. Only if I go above 1 year or so, it apply a 13% interest rate. So how Will I be charged extra, is you can clear off this for me. As I am new to cc business.
You need a powerful lens with a fast aperture and a high-quality tripod. The Sony A7iV comes with a 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS lens, i Guess this will work for astrophotography, but if you want the best photos possible. I recommend you buy a new lens with a faster aperture. The reason you want a fast aperture is that this allows more light to enter your lens. You want to absorb the most light possible since the night is very dark. A slower aperture will cause your photo to be underexposed or noisy – if you compensate with extra ISO. You also want your new lens to be wide-angle. A wide-angle lens allows you to increase shutter speed without needing to worry as much about star trails as much. Sometimes, people photograph star trails on purpose, but in this case, those are something we don’t want. This is important because a higher shutter speed takes in a greater amount of light. Finally, you want a lens with a manual focus indicator. To focus on the stars, you must focus on infinity. This is easier to do using a manual focus indicator, but it’s not impossible to focus on infinity without one.
Number 2 Question is not clear to me ? if you can Elaborate ..
G master lens are f-ing expensive. What lens will be good for me here? 2nd point was for a motor attachment which is used to match the rotation of earth so that we don’t get the star trails.
Full frame camera lenses vs. apec one seems hard to understand to me as I am new to this segment.

If You can mention your budget for the lenses , could suggest you a couple ..
If i got you correctly , what you are considering is a Motorised Tacking Mount , to eliminate star trails , FYI A motorised tracking mount is not the only consideration , there are other ways of achieving it , You can also use Photoshop to remove star Trails Too . For You Reference Giving You Some Options ...
iOptron SkyTracker Pro
Vixen Optics Polarie Star Tracker
iOptron SkyGuider Pro
Bresser StarTracker Astronomical Photo Mount Kit
Omegon MiniTrack LX2 tracking mount
Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer DSLR mount
To Name a Few there are literally Thousands , Depending on Budget and Specific Requirements .
However would suggest you to be Familiar with the 500 Rule or the NPF Rule for better understand of this Massively Critical Subject .

Last edited:
Interest is paid upfront and is discounted to me. If I calculate the tenue and emi, it matches. Only if I go above 1 year or so, it apply a 13% interest rate. So how Will I be charged extra, is you can clear off this for me. As I am new to cc business.
The interest is discounted but not the GST on interest. Suppose your total interest is 20k then you will get a discount for the same amount but 18% of 20k is 3600, so, you have to pay 3600 from your pocket.

The interest is discounted but not the GST on interest. Suppose your total interest is 20k then you will get a discount for the same amount but 18% of 20k is 3600, so, you have to pay 3600 from your pocket.
is this not included in the emi ? or am i missing something :angelic:
If You can mention your budget for the lenses , could suggest you a couple ..
If i got you correctly , what you are considering is a Motorised Tacking Mount , to eliminate star trails , FYI A motorised tracking mount is not the only consideration , there are other ways of achieving it , You can also use Photoshop to remove star Trails Too . For You Reference Giving You Some Options ...
iOptron SkyTracker Pro
Vixen Optics Polarie Star Tracker
iOptron SkyGuider Pro
Bresser StarTracker Astronomical Photo Mount Kit
Omegon MiniTrack LX2 tracking mount
Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer DSLR mount
To Name a Few there are literally Thousands , Depending on Budget and Specific Requirements .
However would suggest you to be Familiar with the 500 Rule or the NPF Rule for better understand of this Massively Critical Subject .
lens will not be bough asap as camera itself is an extra stretch for me at the moment :p as I stated, I was looking to go for sony ZV-E10. but this is hard to come by. I don't mind having a full frame as I can extend my hobbies so going for this. else zv-10 would have only been used as a webcam...

1) As mentioned by others above, a fast lens (aperture < F2.8 is better). Rokinon 24mm, Zeiss Loxia 21mm f/2.8 are good.
But in all honesty, invest in the Sony 24-105G as it is far more versatile. It can be used for astrophotography without a doubt, and also can be taken to a wedding photoshoot.

2) Not familiar with intervalometers/trackers in here. Check few dedicated photography forums on this

3) If you can afford to pay it in one shot, use a CC with good cb and get it done

is this not included in the emi ? or am i missing something :angelic:?
The EMI shown to you is not the real EMI. Real EMI = Amount shown to you + extra amount spread over 12 months. Find out 18% of the upfront discount and you will get your figure which you have to pay extra over the original cost.

The EMI shown to you is not the real EMI. Real EMI = Amount shown to you + extra amount spread over 12 months. Find out 18% of the upfront discount and you will get your figure which you have to pay extra over the original cost.
is this shown at the time of checkout ?

I say dont buy general purpose zoom lens. You should look for lenses which are aspherical to avoid spherical aberrations and lenses with coatings for chromatic aberrations. Cheap lenses like rokinnon usually have a lot of aberrations (chromatic as well as spherical) which dont help taking pictures of stars.
My guess would be zeiss batis 85/1.8 just because zeiss makes really good asph lenses.

For tracking there should be an open source project using rpi.

This is strange thing to do :/ they can directly mention it :/
This started when the govt said that they want to charge 18% GST on interest. This amount is not mentioned even if you go for the normal EMI, but comes as an extra charge in the statement. So it's a thumb rule now that even if you are getting a no cost EMI, always add 18% of the interest as extra on top of the amount.

1. Unless you're truly utilising the Pro features of the A7m4, I'd highly recommend the A7c. For a casual user, the A7c offers a lot more than needed.

2. I'd recommend the A7c + Kit lens (28-60). The kit lens isn't stellar but it's useful to have in general.

3. IF there is no stock of the A7c, then I'd recommend the A7m3 instead. Why? Because again, the A7m4 is not truly necessary for the use cases you've mentioned. I'd always spend the saved money on better lenses.

4. Now I recommend two lenses which won't break the bank and give you amazing utility for a) astro photos, b) webcam.

4a. Samyang 18mm f/2.8 for the astro bit. This is a 27-28k INR lens when purchased from camera stores (not Amazon). Incredibly light weight and very very sharp wide open. I'm not an Internet user recommending this, we have 7 of these lenses which we abuse regularly on shoots.

4b. Samyang 35/1.8 or 24/1.8 for the webcam bit. Very very lightweight, very sharp and great for daily use with lots of shallow DOF. They cost between 27-29 and 32-33k. So again, very affordable.

5. Do not buy from Amazon. The best pricing is still in retail stores offline in Fort, Mumbai. Or from specialty online camera stores like heyjimmy.in (nothing but a Fort retailer who has an online listing).

6. If you want a less expensive zoom lens, I'd recommend either the Tamron 28-75 or the Sigma 28-70 f2.8 lenses. Both are very nice, I prefer the Sigma for the build quality.

7. ALL my recommendations above are because you are an enthusiast and casual user. If you were a aspiring professional, my recommendations would be completely different. As an enthusiast, I'd urge you to spend more on experiences to use your camera with (trips, safaris, photo tours, workshops etc) than on the gear itself. Remember a camera/lens is only as good as the images it makes for you, not on how much a reviewer rates it.

Finally, I speak all this from experience of the last 20 years of photography, 12 years as a professional, and 8 years of using Sony Alpha mirrorless exclusively. Not bragging, but trying to state my source. You can see a bit of my work over on Instagram @josephradhik.

So now if I go for Sony A7iV it would cost me 2.3L for body and 2.43L for body + kit via amazon.
as the title states I wish to do Astrophotography, normal images and videos and use it as my webcam for livestream or recording videos.
Hi, I'll echo what @-D.Payne- has said.

If you're just starting out, don't splurge so much right away, get a camera and a tripod, and see how far you can push yourself.

Once you hit a plateau and feel you're being limited by your gear, upgrade.

In fact, I'll even say if you're just starting to get into photography then get something like A6000 line-up instead of A7C and spend the difference on quality lens or two.

Hi, I'll echo what @-D.Payne- has said.

If you're just starting out, don't splurge so much right away, get a camera and a tripod, and see how far you can push yourself.

Once you hit a plateau and feel you're being limited by your gear, upgrade.

In fact, I'll even say if you're just starting to get into photography then get something like A6000 line-up instead of A7C and spend the difference on quality lens or two.
I am waiting till the end of this month to see if I can get my hands on a Sony ZV-E10, else I will go with a full frame camera. No point in waiting now as I am waiting from Dec 2021.
1. Unless you're truly utilising the Pro features of the A7m4, I'd highly recommend the A7c. For a casual user, the A7c offers a lot more than needed.

2. I'd recommend the A7c + Kit lens (28-60). The kit lens isn't stellar but it's useful to have in general.

3. IF there is no stock of the A7c, then I'd recommend the A7m3 instead. Why? Because again, the A7m4 is not truly necessary for the use cases you've mentioned. I'd always spend the saved money on better lenses.

4. Now I recommend two lenses which won't break the bank and give you amazing utility for a) astro photos, b) webcam.

4a. Samyang 18mm f/2.8 for the astro bit. This is a 27-28k INR lens when purchased from camera stores (not Amazon). Incredibly light weight and very very sharp wide open. I'm not an Internet user recommending this, we have 7 of these lenses which we abuse regularly on shoots.

4b. Samyang 35/1.8 or 24/1.8 for the webcam bit. Very very lightweight, very sharp and great for daily use with lots of shallow DOF. They cost between 27-29 and 32-33k. So again, very affordable.

5. Do not buy from Amazon. The best pricing is still in retail stores offline in Fort, Mumbai. Or from specialty online camera stores like heyjimmy.in (nothing but a Fort retailer who has an online listing).

6. If you want a less expensive zoom lens, I'd recommend either the Tamron 28-75 or the Sigma 28-70 f2.8 lenses. Both are very nice, I prefer the Sigma for the build quality.

7. ALL my recommendations above are because you are an enthusiast and casual user. If you were a aspiring professional, my recommendations would be completely different. As an enthusiast, I'd urge you to spend more on experiences to use your camera with (trips, safaris, photo tours, workshops etc) than on the gear itself. Remember a camera/lens is only as good as the images it makes for you, not on how much a reviewer rates it.

Finally, I speak all this from experience of the last 20 years of photography, 12 years as a professional, and 8 years of using Sony Alpha mirrorless exclusively. Not bragging, but trying to state my source. You can see a bit of my work over on Instagram @josephradhik.
I am doing my research on sony a7c too. was trying to get it via sony official website where the price did dropped to 1.48L for the body but then it went was out of stock and they send me a email reminder at 6 am morning for buying it at random. this is really irritating thing to do but I guess that's the way they work. fococenter india is charging a ₹196,990 on A7C with a backorder / advance order, last time I checked. The money I will save it on A7C is ₹46k something.

A73 is a big no no for me due to over heating issue and the limit of recording time limit of 30 mins. almost bought it last time.
Reset your recommendations are great for the lenses. Loved your Instagram profile :angelic:

to be honest. I was hoping that the price for a7c would go down and it will be replace with a7iv. but I think it don't work the way it works for pc parts ;)

also can you share what kind of tripod and a table stand would you suggest for the same if I go for a7c or a7iv based on availability or decision I make...

Last edited:
Agreeing with everything @-D.Payne- said. Photography is a journey, more so Astrophotography than others. I'd suggest that you start small. Second hand, if you can. See if the hobby is for you.

one.jpg

two.jpg

There'll be endless cold nights in dark isolated places where you can't risk even the light of a smartphone polluting your image for a photo that might not even turn out to be good after hours of post processing. It's extremely rare to see an amateur starting out with high end equipment and sticking with the hobby. Some months later there's regret and a general loss of interest due to low success.

If you're willing to take the slow and steady approach, consider the PIxel 6: https://petapixel.com/2021/11/04/google-pixel-6-pro-astrophotography-review-stellar-results/

If you're sure you want a dedicated camera, first track down the best lens you can afford: https://www.lonelyspeck.com/lenses-for-milky-way-photography/ and then spend what money you have left on the best camera you can afford.

film.jpg

This photo was taken with a manual focus film slr from the 80's using slide film and a 24mm f/2.8 lens. The other two photos are with a Sony A57 and kit lens.

Astrophotography is one of the rare things of this life that gets my heart racing and it's something i intend to pursue seriously at some point. Good luck!

Last edited:
Agreeing with everything @-D.Payne- said. Photography is a journey, more so Astrophotography than others. I'd suggest that you start small. Second hand, if you can. See if the hobby is for you.

View attachment 130288

View attachment 130289

There'll be endless cold nights in dark isolated places where you can't risk even the light of a smartphone polluting your image for a photo that might not even turn out to be good after hours of post processing. It's extremely rare to see an amateur starting out with high end equipment and sticking with the hobby. Some months later there's regret and a general loss of interest due to low success.

If you're willing to take the slow and steady approach, consider the PIxel 6: https://petapixel.com/2021/11/04/google-pixel-6-pro-astrophotography-review-stellar-results/

If you're sure you want a dedicated camera, first track down the best lens you can afford: https://www.lonelyspeck.com/lenses-for-milky-way-photography/ and then spend what money you have left on the best camera you can afford.

View attachment 130290

This photo was taken with a manual focus film slr from the 80's using slide film and a 24mm f/2.8 lens. The other two photos are with a Sony A57 and kit lens.

Astrophotography is one of the rare things of this life that gets my heart racing and it's something i intend to pursue seriously at some point. Good luck!
I have multiple uses where I will be using the camera as webcam mostly daily. Shooting videos. Then comes Astrophotography. Its a long time investement for me as I will be learning on this. A6600 will cost me around 1.43L or so. Now A7C comes for 1.86L and its been discontinued. A7iV is only in stock and will cost around 2.43L to 2.50L with kit lens. Below A6600, the only camera which makes sense is Sony ZV-E10. which is not in stock and will it come in stock in april 2022 end is a mistry for even sellers. They are expecting stock but no idea if they will get this model.

Second hand is a no-no for me. I don't want to go for this.

Is that big dot mar's ? nor jupiter ?
any one using intervalometer here ?

Last edited:
Back