User Guides GUIDE: Convert any video clip to mobile(3gp) format!

Converting video clips to .3gp formats

Went through a lot of people who'd like to view some video clips they've got stored in their PC's on their mobile phones (phones that can play video clips)
So here's my guide that tells you how to transfer and convert any video clip(almost any :p ) or even a movie if you've got 500mb+ mmc's, to mobile readable formats -

SOFTWARES NEEDED

1. IMtoo 3GP Video Converter

Get it here

Good thing about this software is that it also converts video clips to a lot of other formats as well
But it's shareware, so....

2. Nokia Multimedia Converter

Get it here

it's Free (or atleast the last time i checked)
Now i selected these 2 programs (there are many other 3gp converters out there, but these two are easy to learn the basic with so you can mess up with other advanced converters easily)

CONVERTING!

After installing both of those proggies, start with IMtoo first since it has more features over the Nokia one.
After installing and crac..*cough* buying, you should see a screen like this -

Select the desired video clip.

After selecting, go to profile selection as in the screen -

Select 3gp

Now on the right hand side, after highlighting the file there should be these options -

Now let me try and explain the options you should mess with and those you shouldn't even touch -

Video Codec - Leave it as it is - h263 is the perfect codec, or mpeg4.
Bitrate - The most important and this option DEPENDS ENTIRELY UPON YOUR PHONE. Bitrate means Quality - the higher the bitrate - the better the quality and more the size of the result. This option you need to experiment with,

Now some phones like Nokia 6600 - Can take up Bitrate of about 40-100 somethingish to play it smoothly, if you encode your video at 150 - it will lag! That goes for N-gage too, in fact most phones in 7-12.5k range, 60 bitrate is ideal.
While some phones like e398 on latest firms (96r, I398, V398) can take bitrates of up too 200! And i here assume phones in the range of 7710, pda and all can take that bitrate too.
Like i said before, it depends on how much your phone can handle.
For now, let's set it at 45.

Video Size - Leave it at 176 x 144. For normal candybars (6600, e398, 6630, ngage) this is the ideal size. For phones like 9500, 7710, p900i, s700i, phones generally with biggers screen, you can select higher sizes.

Now leave the rest alone and move down to -

Framerate - Set it at 10-25. a video clip encoded at 20'ish plays smoothly enough. in fact i encode my video at 12 and they play just fine without any lags. I reccomend 15.

Skip the rest and move down to Audio - Here choose the bitrate (or leave it on AUTO) and again bitrate here means the same as for video bitrate - quality.

Generally, 10-80 are used. Going further up may lag video on some phones.

Or if you want no audio and make its size smaller - Select TRUE on Disable Audio
After selecting destination folder, click encode.

There you go, you've got a clip ready and playable for your phone!

Now if by somechance, IMtoo doesn't work or gives you some prob with the file. Try Nokia's Mulitmedia Converter -

Open up NMConverter -

Select your file.

Now you can see some same option i discussed above with IMtoo.

Nokia nrings something new with audio though that is WB AMR which is supposed to be very high quality audio, some s60 phones and above can take this, on rest the audio would be blank! So AMR will work with all phones.
in here the highest bitrate is 12 - its still good. If you think it'll make it crappy, you're thinking wrong.

and you can also set a limit of the file size in here.

Now once you've selected the setting, click CONVERT

Once the conversion are complete - Select save - select desitantion folder and VOILA! YOu're done, that was easy.
Some general probs and questions -

Q - The encoded video on my phone is lagging after every 5-10 secs. What's wrong ?

A - This is a problem is common - It means that you have encoded beyond your phone's limits. You're trying to run a games which requires a min of 512 mb on 64 mb, what happens ? it lags!
Lower down your audio, video bitrate
Lower your framerate

And let the magic work.

Note - Specially if you're encoding a full 700 mb avi movie, you need to lower it so that it'll fit on a 256 mb mmc and should play smoothly because that's a long file for the little phone to handle (If by any chance, you're thinking it would crap up the quality then your'e wrong, the difference is almost barely noticeable, i encoded a vcd for my friend's 6600 and it plays beatifuly)

Q - Audio not working.

A - Encode it in AMR next time!

Q - How do i send the converted clip to my phone ?

A - Get Bluetooh dongles (your phone must have BT) and send it through BT(in case of 6600 and Ngage QD and phnoes without a USB port)
Most phones have USB port with USB cable like e398 which show up as removable drive on your PC. Cut and copy it to the 'Video' folder.

Q - What does 3gp mean and how do i play it on my PC ?

A - 3gp or mpeg4 are quicktime files - and all video capable phones play this. it is the standered medium for mobile phones.
Any more Questions ? Feel free to ask!! ^_^

Now get set coding and load up your MMC with your own Video Clips!!

tifôsi said:
Very good tut :D.

How will I know what bitrate my phone can handle?(for eg a Palm Treo 650)
Palms, Pda's can go up to 128-160.

Phones in the line of 6600 - Ngage - e398 - Set it at 35-80 (exception of e398 on latest firms - you can encode it upto 200)

k750i, W800i, 6630, 7710 - Same as palms and Pda's.

Now since company's keep upgrading their firms - especially in the case of Moto and SE - The performance of Bitrate keeps getting better (e398 at first couldn't handle 80, on latest it can go upto 200, see the diff ? )

All i can say is encode - if it lags - reincode in smaller bitrate.

Params7 i got a question.... all the videos that i encode using softwares like these are of poor video quality.... like u can see small boxes(by boxes i mean the type of squares that u get when u watch a low quality video in full screen in the comp) instead of fine quality video.... and if i try to increase the quality of the video then the size drastically increases... like in ord qual a music video comes to 1.5-2mb... but when i increase the qual it comes close to 8-9MB....

But i have a music videos that i downloaded from the net.... the quality of the video would be like high qual divx movies... soooo clear.... and the size is only 2.5MB... how to do that???

and does v398 support Mpeg4 audio??

itsmevivek said:
Params7 i got a question.... all the videos that i encode using softwares like these are of poor video quality.... like u can see small boxes(by boxes i mean the type of squares that u get when u watch a low quality video in full screen in the comp) instead of fine quality video.... and if i try to increase the quality of the video then the size drastically increases... like in ord qual a music video comes to 1.5-2mb... but when i increase the qual it comes close to 8-9MB....

But i have a music videos that i downloaded from the net.... the quality of the video would be like high qual divx movies... soooo clear.... and the size is only 2.5MB... how to do that???

and does v398 support Mpeg4 audio??

The boxes (pixels) are related to the original video from which its encoded. Perhaps those music video's, could've been converted from DVD quality avi's which eliminates the pixels.
Otherwise, normally video's encoded from wmv's, some low qual avi's, asf's will have pixels to some extent when encoded in 3gp.
Best you can do is increase the 'bitrate' of the video when encoding.
Though, i've noticed when previewing 3gp encoded files in computers you always have pixels, but in phone its not really that noticeable as it was in PC.

And thanks a lot guys for your comments. :hap2:

params7 said:
The boxes (pixels) are related to the original video from which its encoded. Perhaps those music video's, could've been converted from DVD quality avi's which eliminates the pixels.
Otherwise, normally video's encoded from wmv's, some low qual avi's, asf's will have pixels to some extent when encoded in 3gp.
Best you can do is increase the 'bitrate' of the video when encoding.
Though, i've noticed when previewing 3gp encoded files in computers you always have pixels, but in phone its not really that noticeable as it was in PC.

And thanks a lot guys for your comments. :hap2:

Hey man thanks for the reply... the original video is of very good quality... only that encoded video is poor... i tried increasing the resolution of the 3gp file to 352 x 288. then the quality of the video is better but size increases a lot... i can send u the file that i have that is of very high quality....

itsmevivek said:
Hey man thanks for the reply... the original video is of very good quality... only that encoded video is poor... i tried increasing the resolution of the 3gp file to 352 x 288. then the quality of the video is better but size increases a lot... i can send u the file that i have that is of very high quality....
I'll try and encode and see what can be done, if successful i'll send you the setting to encode at next time ;)
send me the file.

Back