User Guides Guide: Building a 100 inch LCD Projector (DIY-Self Made - Updated with Pics & Video)

Guide: Building a 100 inch LCD Projector (DIY-Self Made)
All this within the price of a 15 inch Lcd

Hello Everyone :) . This is my first attempt at writing a guide. Im not particularly good at it. Isnt as nicely written as some of the others here but its a start. Not too much to explain as the links explain it all.
I was on the lookout for a cheap 22 inch LCD (Aoc or the Acer AL2216) but then, came across these links which, i found to be quite interesting........

DIY Projector Guide - Lumenlab
Lumenlab -> Projector Builder
diyAudio Forums - DIY Projectors
LCD Projector, XGA, Self Home Made, Long Throw
How-To: Build your own HD projector (Part 1) - Engadget

How can a 22 inch LCD stand up to a 100 Inch Image???????
After reading through some of the posts and some made by people from India, found their results to be impressive, had to try it and so.........
I decided to take the plunge and build one myself.

Searched the market and found out that most of the components are readily available for this specific project.

Here's the list of components needed/used along with their prices that i paid for them:

1. 15 Inch LG LCD (Max. Res. 1024x768.) from TE itself. Rs.3700/-

2. Fresnel Lenses (217mm and 343mm FL) and a Triplet Lens (317mm FL) from Lensel Optics. Rs.2200/-

3. 400w Metal Halide Lamp (Radium Brand) with Ballast and Mounting Base. Rs.1500/-

4. Plywood and Wooden Blocks(Free). MDF Recommended as it is easier to work with (~Rs.800 a Sheet).

5. 2x 220v 4 Inch Fans (Second Hand - 125 Each) Lammy.

6. Steel Ladle (As a reflector) Rs.50/-

7. Assorted Screws,Nails,Glue,Double Sided Foam Tape,Black Paint etc.

Power Tools: Drill Machine

Hand Tools: Saw, Hexo Blades, Files, Screwdrivers, Cutters etc.

Total Cost till now: Around 8k.
Can be made even cheaper if used components are used.
Here is the basic design and component placement of the projector.

DIY Projector Guide - Lumenlab
http://lumenlab.com/wiki/images/1/14/Diy_pj_Fig1.jpg

FocalCalc is a small app developed by a member at Lumenlab which acually calculates the distances between all components and helps one design the projector accordingly.

link:
Focal Calculator II - Lumenlab

Actual Pics of my Projector (Taken from my Cellphone Camera. Will have to arrange a digicam - The result is much better than these pics seem to show. Some pics are from the earlier stage of building so look messy)
Further tweaking will improve the output.
Still have to put some finishing touches (final wiring and painting) and have to ceiling mount it.

UPDATED PICS:

dsc027011024x768ru1.jpg

dsc027021024x768vi9.jpg

dsc027031024x768ab1.jpg

dsc027041024x768nd6.jpg

dsc027051024x768nu1.jpg

dsc027061024x768gb6.jpg

dsc027071024x768uj4.jpg

dsc027101024x768qj1.jpg

dsc027111024x768et7.jpg

dsc027121024x768bi8.jpg

dsc027131024x768ib3.jpg

dsc027141024x768rg0.jpg

dsc027151024x768bu2.jpg

dsc027161024x768te3.jpg

dsc027171024x768mc3.jpg

dsc027181024x768qz4.jpg

dsc027191024x768np2.jpg

dsc027201024x768wl6.jpg

dsc027221024x768iw2.jpg

dsc027251024x768hj0.jpg

dsc027261024x768dg0.jpg

dsc027271024x768bl2.jpg

dsc027281024x768rp3.jpg

dsc027291024x768db0.jpg

dsc027311024x768ar9.jpg

dsc027321024x768ry7.jpg

dsc027331024x768nm9.jpg

dsc027341024x768yj7.jpg

dsc027351024x768ic4.jpg

dsc027371024x768kv6.jpg

Large Pics:

More Pics:

minidsc02780gx1.jpg

minidsc02782wk4.jpg

minidsc02784mn2.jpg

minidsc02785kn7.jpg

minidsc02787gk6.jpg

minidsc02789zo9.jpg

Money well spent. 100 INCHES and very viewable. Amazing results. Well worth the effort.
The build process is what i enjoyed the most. A great learning experience and very rewarding results on the whole.
This can be made HD simply by using a HD lcd Panel.

Update: (Typed on a P990i. So.......)
Component descriptions.

The Lcd:

The Lcd is the primary component around which the actual projector is built. It is what forms the image on the screen. The lcd needs to be as small as

possible with the maximum possible resolution. Smaller lcds make the enclosure smaller and small size helps us get better corner to corner brightness and

focus.
The most nerve wracking part of the build is stripping the lcd to its panel and carefully handling the FFC ribbon cable that connects the glass panel to the

controller board. Utmost care has to be taken while handling this as one wrong pull and the lcd is history.Higher contrast ratio lcds are also preferable. WS

15 inchers are not recommended as the sides may fall out of the fov of the projection triplet making sides dim and out of focus.The best option would be to

use a car lcd. I have seen a 'super' brand chinese 10 inch screen which does 1024x768 and seems to be perfect for a build. )I bought a used lcd from te

itself. Its a 15 inch lg 1520b. Dismantled it in a matter of minutes. Didnt remove the lcd panel until the last moment.

Some people remove the Anti Glare Coating (Film) on the front of the LCD. This results in a brighter crisper output. The process is risky. The film has to be

soaked for 10 to 12 hours using paper towels and distilled water then pulled out. I dont intend to remove it now as im quite satisfied with the results for

now.
The lamp:
Our project needs a very bright point light source which provides max lumens and minimum heat emission.Metal halide lamps are perfect for this application as

they provide max lumens (light output) vs heat generated. They also generate a high colour temprature (k-kelvin) and a high CRI (colour rendering index)

output similar to white daylight. Mh lamps use a ballast (5 kgs. Very heavy) to step up mains voltage which is applied across a glass arc filled with gases.

This excites them resulting in light radiation.

EXTREME CAUTION SHOULD BE EXCERCISED WHEN WORKING WITH MH LAMPS. THESE OPERATE AT VERY HIGH VOLTAGES AND PRODUCE HIGH LEVELS OF UV IF THE OUTER SHELL IS

BROKEN. PLEASE TAKE NECESSARY PRECAUTIONS WHILE HANDLING THEM.

I bought mine from a local electricals shop. Available everywhere. You can see them everywhere - shops/malls display boards etc. I got a 400w Lamp (radium

brand - chinese) and a matching ballast (priya make - 400w with warranty) along with the bulb holder (mogul base). Total amount paid : 1500. )Should have

got Osram (German). Better brightness and colour.

Also, a reflector needs to be used in collabaration with the lamp to use tne unutilized light from the back of the lamp.i have used a simple ladle (50 bucks)

as a reflector. )The reflector needs to be spherical and must be mounted such thats its focal length must be in line with the lamp arc. )These amps do

produce some heat and need cooling. I have used 2 220v 4 inch fans . One for the lamp and one for the lcd. Iv cut a slit below the lcd which allows cool air

to pass around the lcd and exit through the fan at the top. )Cooling the enclosure is essential as the box has to be sealed out and can get very hot. Also

wood is used so....
Fresnel lenses:

A fresnel lens is a flat acrylic plastic lens used in ohp projectors. Have you seen a page magnifier? It is a fresnel. I wont go deep and describe its

working here.We have used 2 fresnels on our build. The first one is a 217 mm focal length which is used as a collector. It is placed between the lcd and

lamp. It collects light from the lamp and focusses it through the lcd.

The second fresnel (the Collimitor) is a 343 mm fl lens placed between the lcd and the projection lens. It focuses the light coming from the lcd to the

projection lens. Both sourced from Lensel optics, pune Precision Glass Optics, Plastic Optics, Magnifiers, Opto Electronics India
The Projection lens (Triplet):

The projection lens is a combination of 3 different lenses made out of different materials. Each material(flint,quartz,pyrex etc) has its own unique optical

properties( refractive indexes etc). 3 different lenses are so chosen that they cancel out the chromatic abberation that is produced when a single lens

(singlet) or double (doublet) is used. Only one fl is available here so we have to design our projector using this 317 mm fl triplet.

Sourced from lensel optics pune. Total cost of 3 lenses shipped to mumbai Rs. 2200.
Building the box:

Mdf is the preferred material for building the enclosure. I had wood lying around so used it. Mdf is easier to work with and is cheaper too (800 a sheet 8ft

x 4ft. I built the box on my own but one can get it built by a carpenter if he/she finds it difficult or does not have all the tools.
How it works:

The following diagram shows the placement of components in our system.

The first fresnel is placed close to the lcd panel (10 to 15 mm) and focusses light from the lamp arc to all sections of the panel. Fresnels have a property

that they require a point light source to operate effectively. That is the reason why mh lamps are used for this purpose. Other light sources like cfls do

not have a point source and are hence useless for this task. The lamp arc is placed at the focal length position of the fresnel ie 217 mm. This focussed

light passes through the lcd and to the second fresnel at around 10 to 15 mm from the Lcd between the Lcd and the Projection Triplet. The reason for using

such a bright light is that lcd pass only 15 to 20 percent of the light that hits on one side of the panel. The lamps we are using are extremely bright. The

second fresnel focusses this lcd image to the triplet which then focusses it on the screen.

Accurate component placement is vital for a crisp projection. Hence, i used focalcalc for determining distances between various components. Excellent
tool.It also calculates the final output size of the projection.

Some tips:

1. Before starting the build, decide where to mount it. My projector is 2ft x 1ft x 1ft (quite large) and projects 100 inches at 8 ft distance. Component

availability is limited and so anyone building one will most probably use the same components.

2. Keystoning is also an important issue i forgot.Keystoning is used to get a level image if the projector is mounted at an angle to the screen. If at an

angle the image will be trapezoidal without adjustment. The front fresnel has to be kept parallel to the screen in order to get proper projection. Around 15

degrees of keystoning is achievable . No more. One can also use nvkeystone which is a part of the nvidia driver app. Good for movies but crappy text.

3. Get all components before starting. Plan the build accordingly. I started early and made the box a bit small. Had to extend it to accomodate the fresnels

later. Use the 400 w Osram lamp. I got a 150 w one but image was not bright enough. Got it replaced. There is a 250 watt one also available.
Ceramic Metal Halide Lamps may be available at Lohar Chawl (Osram Powerball Series). Much better Colour Temprature and brightness.

123.skp - - BADONGO
123.skb - - BADONGO
Updated with a Google Sketchup Model (Not very detailed though)

Some Videos:
YouTube - cs
YouTube - vc

Quite good, Maybe a little dim, but in a dark room, good enough.

@motorheadinc: check the distances bbetween the components

Pm me those distances

^at moment these resolutions are available only with 22" LCD. IMO DIY a lower resolution projector and later if you get hands on required Fresnel you can go for higher resolution proj.

I think it will be usefull only if i am able to make a 1080p projector. But may bee i will give 720p a try as well and may be update later on to 1080p. i heard that sharp has a 15inch 1080p monitor. not sure though.

15 inch HD panels are available in the US. Very expensive. Better to get a 15 inch lcd here and attempt a build. 720p resolution support on 15 inchers is now common. Panels larger than 15 inches are not compatible with the lenses we get in India.

How much do they cost?

And how will you get a controller for the panel?

A second hand 15 inch lcd can be found for ~3-3.5k

New ones are less than 4.5k now and do support 720p.

Mine is 1024x768 and it is good enough (For me atleast hehe......)

rob2651983 said:
What about 15.4 inch Wuxga pannels for laptops. I have heard that they suppost 1080p(1920x1200).:huh:

yeah exactly, you won't be able to get the controller of the Laptop screen even I have a 14inch laptop screen supporting 1280x1024.
Still figuring if I can use it

I saw in youtube a much simple way of making a projector. This just involves stripping the LCD and laying it flat on an OHP and voila!!! there you have a nice projection.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of this method?

ballistic said:
How much do they cost?
And how will you get a controller for the panel?
A second hand 15 inch lcd can be found for ~3-3.5k
New ones are less than 4.5k now and do support 720p.
Mine is 1024x768 and it is good enough (For me atleast hehe......)

Yah...i have no clue where to get a controller. actually in my openion its not worth putting so much effort unless i get a 1080p projection. 720p projectors cost in 15-20k range which is affordble. Does any one know how to make a controller for the lcd or where to get it?

ballistic said:
Planning a smaller folded design.
Would anyone here be interested in the components/entire projector itself?

I would be interested in the LCD as I bought & stripped this ACER 15 incher which has a FFC issue. So PM me if you think we can work out a deal.

neoronin said:
I saw in youtube a much simple way of making a projector. This just involves stripping the LCD and laying it flat on an OHP and voila!!! there you have a nice projection.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of this method?

heat issues and so lower runtime, higher wattage lamp cannot be used. These Disadvantages are enough;)

guys am going to order the lens from lensel just recd their quotes:

which of these fresnels lens are to be used whats the difference in quality of normal and delux lens? 285mm vs 310mm

thanks in advance

LENSEL OPTICS PVT. LTD.

TECHNO-COMMERCIAL DETAILS FOR OHP COMPONENTS

I) FRESNEL CONDENSER LENS (FOR NORMAL OHP) :
(a) SIZE : 285mm X 285mm
(b) FOCAL LENGTH : f = 216mm&343mm
(c) THICKNESS : t = 4.0mm
(d) PITCH : p=0.5mm
(e) PRICE EX-WORKS : Deluxe quality – Rs 650/- (incl. Pkg.+ins.)

II) FRESNEL CONDENSER LENS – A4 SIZE
(a) SIZE : 310mm X 310mm
(b) FOCAL LENGTH : f = 216mm/343mm
(c) THICKNESS : t = 4.0mm
(d) PITCH : p=0.5mm
(e) PRICE EX-WORKS : Deluxe quality – Rs 800/- (incl. Pkg. Ins.)

III) SINGLE FRESNSEL LENSES – A4 SIZE
(a) SIZE : 310mm X 310mm
(b) FOCAL LENGTH : f = 216mm OR 343mm
(c) THICKNESS : t = 2.0mm
(d) PITCH : p = 0.5mm
(e) PRICE EX-WORKS : Rs 400/- (incl. Pkg.)

IV) SINGLE FRESNSEL LENSES – NORMAL
(a) SIZE : 285mm X 285mm
(b) FOCAL LENGTH : f = 216mm OR 343mm
(c) THINKNESS : t = 2.0mm
(d) PITCH : p = 0.5mm
(e) PRICE EX-WORKS : Rs 325/- (incl. Pkg.)

V) MENISCUS LENS :
(a) SIZE : 89mm
(b) FOCAL LENGTH : 11 inch
(c) CENTER THICKNESS : 10.20 mm
(d) PRICE EX-WORKS : Rs 250/- (incl. Pkg.)

VI) TRIPLET LENS- THREE ELEMENT PROJECTION LENS
(a) BARREL DIA : 74mm
(b) F # : 5.2
(c) EFL : 315 mm
(d) PRICE EX-WORKS : Rs 960.00/

VII) GLASS CONDENSER LENS
(a) SIZE : 60mm dia (39mm rad.. 40mm width)
(b) FOCAL LENGTH : 75mm
(c) CENTER THICKNESS : 15 mm
(d) PRICE EX-WORKS : Rs 250/-
We offer discount of Rs.100/- on basic Ex-works Price on purchase of minimum 25 nos of Fresnel Condenser lenses and
Rs 20/- on purchase of 25 Nos of Meniscus & Glass Condenser lenses and
Rs 75/- on purchase of 25 Nos of Triplet lenses.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS :

1) Validity :- Valid for 60 days..
2) Payment Terms :- 100% advance by Demand Draft payable at PUNE .
3) Despatch :- Within 1-2 days from the date of receipt of your formal purchase order
along with advance.
4) Excise Duty :- Will be charged @ 10.30%
5) Insurance :- 0.33%
6) Sales Tax :- VAT/CST @ 12.5% (If form ‘C’ is provided CST will be charged @ 3%, minimum order value of Rs 10,000.00 and above).
7) Freight :- Extra ‘at actuals’. Freight charges are estimated. These depend upon the model destination, courier and mode of payment. COD transactions attract higher freight as compared to ‘full payment in advance.’ Freight will be finally either ‘To pay’ or ‘At actuals’ if paid by us.
8)Octroi will be extra ‘at actuals’ payable at your end.
We look forward to receiving your valued order.

With regards.

Yours faithfully,
Milind Doshi/Manisha

thas an awesome hrd wk. i have started working n this projector . can you guide me?. albropune you may call me on my office number 020-26123123 pune, Bhaarat(I love this name than calling India!)

Back