Graphic Cards GTX2XX price cut

hatter

Skilled
As of tomorrow, Nvidia plans drop the prices of Geforce GTX 280 and 260. The reason for this sudden price cut is that the cards are not selling as well as Nvidia expected. The second part of the story is that Radeon HD 4870 ended up better than Nvidia had hoped.
Nvidia will cut $90 of the Geforce GTX 280 price-tag, but this is Nvidia's price to partners and we are not sure just how much will this affect the suggested etail price. We are sure that end user prices will also drop but probably a bit less than $90.

The Geforce GTX 260 will be $30 cheaper to partners and Nvidia will only offer limited price protection which means that some partners / distributors and stores might end up with some overpriced cards at their warehouses.
Fudzilla

LOL! Here's a thought, make the GTX 260 about USD 199, and then maybe you get to see some action on your side. Oh wait, would i spend 199 on that... No, i guess id rather w00t for ATI (underdogs FTW).

P.S : I own a 8800, so im not a fanbouy.

OMG does this mean people who bought laptops with nvidia chipsets are screwed as well ?
If you look at the 8K form it just filed, there are two big pieces of bad news. The first is that some unnamed mobile and MCP products have big problems, hundreds of millions of dollars worth. It is said to be, "Arising from a weak die/packaging material set in certain versions of our previous generation MCP and GPU products used in notebook systems". That is bad, but to make matters funnier, "There can be no assurance that we will not discover defects in other MCP or GPU products."
To us, this says they used the same materials in other things, and it takes a while to show up, shown by the 'previous generation' bit
. We'll bet money that this is the tip of the iceberg. Also, given how much mobos and mobile GPUs cost, this looks like a problem that is affecting a million or more units. Unrelated pricing of Dell notebooks today led us to see that, for most parts, NV mobile GPUs are either a $80 or $130 upgrade over integrated. $150-200M/$130 is still over a million, likely multiple millions of dead parts. Don't treat the future here lightly.

Techman said:
so what will be the impact on 9800 GTX+ and GTX and the GX2 babies ?

have anyone just hurd of 9800gtx2 is greatly deadly card as their is gx2 as they r booming towards qurd sli mean quard sli costly :mad: for the simplers but majestic for gamers and ati has no answer for it till now... what if people use four 9800 cards (right now placing budget sideways *) what will be the impact of it on so called oced ati cards :rofl:

^^ Doesnt matter.. buy an Nvidia Tesla workstation they have 8-18 GPU's stacked in SLI mode...

Pure computational power only, look at the energy costs too...

xxmjxx said:
for the simplers but majestic for gamers and ati has no answer for it till now....

what if people use four 9800 cards (right now placing budget sideways *) what will be the impact of it on so called oced ati cards
:rofl: @ xxmjxx... Guess you haven't heard of R700 then... a.k.a. 4870X2.

If the early previews and leaked benchies are anything to by then looks like it's going be sucker punch to nv top dogs.

Two of these QuadFire (quad crossfire) means cheaper than QuadSLI.

also about those four 9800 cards. Single one gets pwned by 4850, two in SLi gets pwned by 4850 CF, pit the four of these against four 4850... you do the math. :D

iGo said:
:rofl: @ xxmjxx... Guess you haven't heard of R700 then... a.k.a. 4870X2.
If the early previews and leaked benchies are anything to by then looks like it's going be sucker punch to nv top dogs.

Two of these QuadFire (quad crossfire) means cheaper than QuadSLI.

also about those four 9800 cards. Single one gets pwned by 4850, two in SLi gets pwned by 4850 CF, pit the four of these against four 4850... you do the math. :D

dude nvidia's 9800gtx2 is upcoming and with quard sli its gonna beat ati though it's costly i know that but quality is costly :p and i have hurd of it though i dont think it is going to make its impact :tongue: i am a nvidia lover as it shows ;)

xxmjxx said:
dude nvidia's 9800gtx2 is upcoming and with quard sli its gonna beat ati though it's costly i know that but quality is costly :p and i have hurd of it though i dont think it is going to make its impact :tongue: i am a nvidia lover as it shows ;)

2 x 9800GT will gonna beat what? Don't post BS! here:mad:

well, unborn 9800GT is a rewamped version of 8800GT. its performance would be not more than 10% over 8800GT( likewise 9800GTX over 8800GTX)..

Since, HD4850 is already trahing 8800GT by an average of 30%..then

2 X 9800GT Won't stand against 2 x HD4850..

4 x 9800GT won't stand against 4 x HD4850..

so where you say Quad 9800GT is gonna beat ATI..???

:mad:

ATI is BACK with a BANG :hap2:

I am very happy with the current situation, this will push Nvidia and then ATi to further reduce prices for better cards...

I am eyeing a 4870 at a price of 200$ end of the year

The price drop is news for sure but an even bigger news is, 20% drop in Nvidia stock price

NVIDIA’s shares have tumbled by over 20 percent in after hours trading after it announced that Q2 revenue was going to fall short of the guidance it provided on 8th May.

On top of that it announced a one-time charge of between $150 million and $200 million from weak die/packaging material used in some previous generation GPU and MCP products. This has led to higher than normal failure rates in notebooks with certain configurations.

The reasons listed for the lower sales forecast of $875 million to $950 million were: “end-market weakness around the world, the delayed ramp of a next generation MCP, and price adjustments of our GPU products to respond to competitive products.” In the previous quarter, revenue was $1.15 billion and its reported that analysts were expecting something in the region of $1.1 billion for Q2.

Regarding the one-time charge, NVIDIA president and CEO Jen-Hsun Huang said: “Although the failure appears related to the combination of the interaction between the chip material set and system design, we have a responsibility to our customers and will take our part in resolving this problem.”

Graphics industry guru Jon Peddie gave us his initial take on the revenue shortfall. “NVIDIA has been the victim of three factors,” he said. “Q2 is seasonally a quiet period but NVIDIA performed above expectation in the previous Q2 so it got over confident with its forecasting this time. They, and others yet to report, have been impacted by the general slump caused by the sub-prime crisis, high oil price, etc. Lastly, they are facing a reinvigorated AMD/ATI.”

Liink->NVIDIA cuts Q2 sales forecast – shares dive over 20% in after hours trading :: HEXUS.channel - The online home of the UK technology channel

Back